1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I had one on my 12g shotgun. Lasted about 10 shots or so until it broke off from the shock lol It was a cheapo one off amazon that I got for like $40 (light and laser). Would not recommend.

DmanSlam likes this.
  2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What are your initial thoughts on it? I've owned and shot a few different FNs and they're generally my favorite brand. But I've only shot one of their pistols (handled a few, but only shot one) and it's the FNS-9C I bought recently. I love the feet of the thing initially but after buying it noticed some things I wasn't too pleased with. The trigger is absolute garbage, the magazine have a little play in the magwell, it requires a decent amount of finagling and man handling to field strip, and I'm a bit disappointed at the recoil of it. I hate to admit it but I'm actually kind of disappointed in it. I've only ever heard good things about FN pistols and absolutely love their other guns. So I'm not sure if I just got an oddball or if they just aren't as good as I expected. To be fair, my primary go-to pistol before this has been a HK VP9 and that gun is amazing in every way (well, except for the Euro style mag release but I can get over/train around that). So the FN did have a lot to live up to.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ha, mine is a $35 amazon laser- it worked but didn't seem to hold adjustment on the 9mm. BTW the 9 is an impulse buy... full size Turkish made aluminum chassis Tisas Zigana. $229 with 2 15 round mags. It's SA/DA which I don't understand the point of, but it shot well...more pleasant that my S+W MP9

4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I had a cheapo laser on my handgun as well and that also didn't hold adjustment. Then after a few hundred rounds it just stopped working completely. Returned it and got my money back. On my Beretta I have a nice Viridian X5L. A lot more expensive but after almost 1000 rounds I haven't had to adjust it at all and works exactly as it should! Awesome unit for sure.

5. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

So far, it feels good in hand. Very similar to my G19, minus the grip angle. Also feels quite similar to my P07. Doesn't have that top/nose-heavy feel of my FNX. Will be curious if it's light feeling results in higher felt recoil. Looking forward to shooting it tomorrow. Interesting that you brought up the HK, as I was looking at a P30S beside the 509 before deciding on the FN. Had the HK not had the manual safety, I'd likely have purchased it. Hell, I might go back and get it anyway :)

6. redtailracing

Gotta say I have been very impressed with HK handguns. Those and CZs shoot the best of any handguns I've handled. What does the trigger feel like on the 509? Mags seat snugly? Field strip easy? I think I'm going to order the Apex trigger for mine to see if that helps.

7. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Feels a little firm, but does have a fairly crisp break and reset feels fine to me. Hoping that firmness will work itself out. Mags fit snug and eject well. No rattles or loose feel with any of it. Honestly not taken it apart yet, but it doesn't look any more complicated than any of my other polymer guns. Will wait until I get a few hundred rounds through it to decide if trigger ok to me or could use some improvement.

8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I have one HK pistol in 40 S&W. I like the quality and the more solid feel vs my Glocks. I just can't get used to the safety to feel comfortable carrying it daily.
    I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the FN, Mick. My wife and I both had our eyes on the FN 509 compact. A week or so ago we went into Field and Stream and they had a Sig P365 in stock so she got that. I guess this means I get the FN.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

FNS 40 S&W works great. Small, holds 10 cartridges plus one and is ambidextrous for us left handed peeps and a great carry piece. Shoots good with little recoil and you should try one.

10. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

I'll give an update tomorrow evening. Trying to decide whether to make it a dedicated session for the 509 or to take the 19, P07, and FNX w/357 SIG barrel to see how it compares to them on same outing. Will see what I feel like messing with when I get up tomorrow.

wsmc42 likes this.
  11. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

That was you next to me?

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You may already know this, but they do make a button-release VP9 now.

13. Wingnut

I took a few shotgun classes at my local shop (C2 tactical in Tempe, AZ) after the last class i bought a light/lazer combo to attach to the left forward picatinny on my Mossberg 590a1. The lazer makes total sense if you have to fire from somewhere other than your shoulder, like hip shooting, to get an spot on your target.

sbk1198 and DmanSlam like this.
  14. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Hope your practicing your IA drills if (when) that frange induces a malfunction.

15. redtailracing

Yea, I've seen it. To my knowledge, it was not around when I bought mine. It looks like the new VP9 (with the optic cut from the factory) has not been released with a button release though. So I'm going to wait and see how that model line shapes up as far as options over the next year or so. If they release a VP9 with the optic cut, button release, suppressor height sights, and a standard barrel, I'll be all over it. Although I suspect that won't happen. My guess is there will eventually be a button release with standard barrel, optic cut, and standard sights and then there will be the tactical version with paddle release, suppressor height sights, optic cut, and threaded barrel. But we shall see. If I'm right I'll probably just pick up the former and replace the sights.

16. Wingnut

Yes!
    Most training days at the range ill bring anywhere from 5-10 magazines. Some will have 1 or 2 dummy rounds somewhere in the count. But since they all look the same i never know which magazines have them.

17. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Good. I’d steer clear of it unless I’m shooting steel up close. Much better options out there for home defense.

18. Wingnut

Suggestions?
    Im always open to learning new stuff.

19. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I keep a lot of those same items in my possession or in my vehicle. But you've got me thinking I need to need to augment my emergency kit. As someone else just wrote, you are more likely to find yourself in a situation to save a life than take one.

20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed. And the 590A1 is a nice shotgun.