1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Let’s see a pic

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I bought a Sig-P229 slide in .357Sig off a local board here. Came with 25 magazines. $300 total [​IMG]
    Then I bought a .40cal barrel, as .357Sig is a bit of a unique caliber and ammo is hard to come by. I also don't need another caliber.

Took it out to the range yesterday and tested the slide in .40cal and ~10 of the 25 magazines for function.
    Sights were bright. Shot pretty well at 7 and 10yards. All grouped in a 4" radius.

Pretty pleased, as now my P229s have:
    .22lr slide/mags and upper. (x1)
    9mm slide/mags and upper (x2)
    .357Sig / .40cal slide/mags & upper (x1)

Since only the slides/magazines change, the 22lr makes a good trainer as the trigger feel is the same.

Too bad the Sig-320 doesn't have a 22lr training upper.

SpeedyE and Steeltoe like this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Did an 8 hour carbine class today. Shot about 350 rounds in all sorts of different kinds of drills, all short range stuff. Fun stuff, learned a lot, and learned that I suck at reloading fast lol Also made me realize I really want some sort of lightweight SBR for short range stuff, with a suppressor. Gonna look into either an AR pistol in 5.56 or .300 blackout, or some type of 9mm version like a Scorpion. A 300BLK would be the best option as far as suppressed goes since that ammo is basically made for that, but it's significantly more expensive and it'd be the only thing I'd have in that caliber. I'm trying to stick with just a few common calibers, so 9mm or 5.56 would be more appealing since I use those already in other guns and they're much cheaper. Anyone here have any experience with all 3 of those platforms? Any other pros and cons to consider?

Steeltoe likes this.
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I just built a 10 1/2 inch AR pistol in 300 BLK. I can’t get to the range often enough. l’m also just getting into reloading and seemingly helps lowers cost :rolleyes:. I love the pistol. More so than my 16 inch 556/223. I can definitively see the allure of the short barreled stuff.

5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

who thought the class? I almost took a class last year with warrior poets but the dates messed me up.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That dude is weird.

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

What is the general consesnsus on a suppressed 9mm for home defense? SBR? AR pistol? Ammo? Barrel length? Cost of ownership?

My cheapest option would be getting a can for a sub2k. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go that route? (For the record, I don't love KetTec design, but I've never had problems with it. That said, is it any good suppressed?)

8. sbk1198

It was at Frontline Defense in NC. Can't remember the name of the main guy, but the owner of Frontline helped out.

sanee likes this.
  9. sbk1198

From what I see, putting a suppressor on a 5.56 is still relatively loud since they're supersonic rounds. The subsonic 5.56 rounds are much less common, and they're a lot more expensive than I thought apparently. At roughly $1/round, that's more expensive than the 300AAC blackout. So maybe I'll look more into the 300 vs 9mm option.

10. speedluvn

The 300blk rounds is popular for suppressor use but I just can’t justify the expense and inciting the bureaucracy of obtaining a suppressor. From my understanding, the heavier subsonic rounds, above 200 gr?, are quiet but as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the AR action is the real noise maker.
    Look into reloading and find the rounds that you’re looking to suite your purpose.

11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I would be curious to know why someone wants a gun so quiet. If you’ve shot a 300 AR with a quality suppressor and the action noise is too loud. Hey I get it for cool factor if that’s what you want but to me one bullet at a time diminishes the coolness somewhat.

12. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

If you dont have a Sig SRT(sp?) sear/trigger-pack, get one......makes a world of difference

13. sbk1198

I'm not going to load my own. I've looked into it before for my precision bolt rifle and gave up on it when I saw how long it takes and the cost of all the equipment needed. If I was shooting a lot, thousands of rounds like other people, and going out shooting a couple of times a week, then I may consider it. But I don't. For as much as I do it, it's not cost effective and I don't want to put the time into it. I'd rather just order the ammo online and be done with it.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you are long range shooting, hand loading is so much better than buying factory ammo.

15. speedluvn

You took the words out of my mouth. You’d be surprised with the consistency and accuracy that you could achieve.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Thanks, Speedy.
    Both my 229s have the short reset triggers (assuming that's the acronym you were using).

The .40cal barrel/slide shot pretty well. I was pleased.

Now my 229s can run the scale except for .45acp.
    .22lr
    9mm
    .357-Sig
    .40Cal

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. sbk1198

So I've been told, it's just expensive to get into and like I said I don't shoot all that much. I'm also limited to my local range, which goes to 1000 yards only. Last time out they had a smaller plate there which was used for a match and the owner didn't bother to swap it out. 12"x20"...hit it on the first try using cheap $0.75 ammo, not even match grade. I do use some match grade ammo as well, that's in the $1.20-$1.50 range, but mostly use the cheaper stuff since I can still hit all the targets with that.

Consistency may be the problem but I don't even have a way to measure that since it's a public range and every time I'm there the target plates have a ton of shots on them, so most times I don't even know where I'm hitting them. I can see a bit of movement and the sounds from it, but it's impossible for me to take a few shots out that far and measure the groups.

18. speedluvn

upload_2020-6-7_19-7-11.jpeg
    Take a look at a
    Lee Precision Single Stage Press. Lee has kits that you can get into for around $150. This particular kit or a turret style press, seems perfect for your application, but I digress . . .

19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

.300blk is badass. Not sure I understand the concern with the sound of the action but to each their own.

Something to think about... ammo availability. I’m not sure on other parts of the country but around here, there is a plethora of 5.56 and .308. The big sporting stores here (Sportsmans warehouse and academy sports) move enough volume to keep those in stock. However, even they have struggled to keep 9mm and .300blk in stock. 5.56 can be shot subsonic but obviously not as effectively as .300blk. And subsonic 5.56 and subsonic .300blk will cost about the same ($1ish/round). However, 5.56 will probably be easier to find in hard times it seems. Pros and cons to both. Not sure which is actually more practical for running subsonic. Just a few variables to consider. Like I said, I love .300blk but not being able to find ammo here lately has been maddening.

20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

We just switched my 9mm dedicated ARs over to the MEAN mags. Takes a magpul 556 mag and converts it to 9mm. Don’t have to put a block in your receiver. Just 9mm bolt and barrel and spring in buffer and you’re ready to rock and roll.

who’s carbine course did you take and where?