1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Ammo availability and cost is one of the main considerations, which is why I've almost decided on going with a CZ Scorpion. Seems to be even quieter than .300blk by a bit when shooting suppressed with subsonic rounds, and ammo is plentiful. I haven't had any trouble finding 9mm ammo in the last couple of months, even the 147g subsonic which is pretty much all I buy for my pistols anyway. I can get that for around 24-28 cents per round online. Reviews of the CZ Scorpion seem to be really good. One of the guys in the class I took had one and it seemed pretty awesome, but I never shot one personally.

It was at Frontline Defense, my "local" range, where I'm a member.

Quicktoy likes this.
  2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I have not shot one suppressed. However I have had the opportunity to play with a friends for a few hours at the range one day. I historically haven’t been a huge fan of SMGs. I just prefer rifles calibers for CQB, so naturally I like SBRs/pistols. But man that scorpion was fuckin sweet. It’s the gun that made me look at SMGs in a whole new light.

sbk1198 and Quicktoy like this.
  3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Another option is the Roni. I’ve had one for about 7 years. It is a blast. Slide your side arm (I use a fully automatic Glock 17) in the chassis (they make it with and with out a stock if you want to SBR or brace it) and literally can put a hole through a hole at 40 yards with your handgun and a good optic. I uploaded a video of mine in the YouTube thread.
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/official-youtube-video-thread.215117/page-856

Steeltoe likes this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm at work so I can't see the video yet, but is that the chassis kit where you just stick the Glock in? I have seen that before but my impression was that it was only for Glocks. I'd rather have a dedicated SMG with a slightly longer barrel than a handgun. The 7.7" of the Scorpion is a perfect size in my opinion (...insert "that's what she said" comment lol).

Quicktoy likes this.
  5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

They make them for every gun. I know guys who hunt with them with Glock 10mms with 10” barrels in them.

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Latest buildup for my nightstand gun.
    G17 gen 5 MOS
    Omega 9k suppressor
    Streamlight laser/light combo
    Holosun optic
    Extended handgrip
    Loaded with Ranger Xp frangible ammo

Attached Files:

Quicktoy likes this.
  7. redtailracing

How do you like that Holosun? I've only had the opportunity to play with a Trijicon RMR so I'm not totally up to speed on the pistol RDS

Nice setup by the way

8. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty new to guns and about to take a road trip from Texas to Florida. I’ve applied for my LTC but there is a bit of a log jam right now and I doubt I’ll have my permit before I leave. I know I can have a pistol loaded with one in the chamber in my truck in Texas. With my poor Google-Fu skills it looks like Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida are the same. Alabama though looks like it has to be unloaded, locked up, and not in reach of anybody in the vehicle.

Can anybody confirm this or point me to something that isn’t an ad for carry insurance? I won’t be in Alabama for long but Murphy’s law and all...

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's going to get complicated because it's going to very by state, best to check each state by itself for yourself

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  10. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Thats what I’ve been trying to do but I’m having a hard time finding a source I feel confident in with an officer walking to my truck in a traffic stop...”no officer you’re wrong, Wikipedia said I could...”

11. Wingnut

I have a trilijcon on my G19 MOS. I dig the holosun as its solar powered as well as battery so no need to push buttons to get it on in daylight.

G19 everyday carry picture attached.

Attached Files:

12. redtailracing

Nice. I dig the EDC kit. I’ve been geeking out with EDC stuff here lately as far as better carry methods. Been playing around with appendix carry. Thinking of ordering the tier 1 axis holster and looking at a way to affix trauma dressing flat against the back of it (between the holster and stomach). Only thing I hadn’t figured out is the tourney. Initial thought was to run it in the second pouch of a dual mag carrier but since the axis already has a single mag carrier, I don’t want to run just a single tourney holster. Trying to minimize the amount of shit to strap on, stuff pockets with, etc. and the knife, light, pen, phone, wallet, pistol holster is already a bit much and annoying.

13. Wingnut

I dont like wearing a holster unless I'm at a range/training. For me personally i like being a very incognito person. Nobody looks at my TimBuk2 bag and thinks anything other than an ipad is in there. I didnt everyday carry until recently. But one of my shop neighbors was murdered about 40 feet from my shop on a Wednesday afternoon and with all the other unstable dynamics im carrying everywhere all the time. I have the 2 trauma packs and tourniquets because i figure if i need my gun pulled its because shots have been fired and id like to be able to administer first aid in the emergency.

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. redtailracing

Absolutely agree. I’ve been reevaluating my EDC for the same kinds of reasons, especially having a wife an kid now. Swapped to appendix because it was the most comfortable way to carry and be completely concealed. Been trying to step up my med kit game just because I’ve realized the importance of the old saying “you’re more likely to have to save a life than take one.” Obviously there’s the situation you suggest but also things like car accidents and all kinds of other shit that happens daily that’s worth being prepared for. I’ve been just keeping some stuff, like med supplies in the diaper bag but would like to find a way to stay to keep it on my person without it showing, especially because there’s plenty of times im just out by myself without the kid and at the moment, the end stuff just stays in the car. Hence the different considerations I mentioned earlier

15. Wingnut

I keep a pretty good EMT pack in each of our cars for that scenario.
    When i was about 17/18 i was the first person at the scene of a car wreck and the car was on fire. I watched and heard the guy screaming and dying and I never want to be helpless and unprepared for something like that again. I keep a pair of leather work gloves right by the seat rail of my jeep in case i'm at a car accident site and i have to grab things that are hot/cold/wet/oily/sharp. I have 2 different glass breakers/seat belt cutters and a fire extinguisher in arms reach. And then the EMT kit although im not an Emt I've done enough first aid classes to do the basic ABC's of emergency trauma.

16. Seiko

Seiko Well-Known Member

Take a look at a AFAK (Ankle First Aid Kit). I have been using a Ryker Nylon Kit for years on and off the bike and it's great. Outstanding quality and super comfy once it molds to your ankle after a few days.

https://www.rykernylongear.com/

17. redtailracing

Fire extinguisher and vehicle tool (belt cutter/glass breaker) are the next items on my list to acquire. Been eyeballing this: https://www.crkt.com/exitool.html. Just want to do a tad more research before buying. I'm by no means an EMT or any sort of medic but want to at least be able to stabilize someone until a professional arrives if needed. Been looking into TCCC courses although my mil friends have actually said while those are good, because they're combat oriented, they're not necessarily the most applicable to civilian life. My training partner served in the marines and is now going through school to be an EMT and he has actually struggled a bit because the approach is so different due to the differences between combat and every civilian life scenarios. So I may look into other options but at the moment, it seems classes like that are just now starting to get going again and I still haven't found one nearby that looks suited to what I'm looking for.

18. redtailracing

I've looked into stuff like this before but like I said in a previous post, I'm trying to limit the amount of stuff I have to strap on, stuff my pockets with, etc. Hence why I'm trying to figure out a way to affix as much as possible to an appendix rig. Through on the holster and everything's already attached. Plus I wear shorts 9 months out of the year if not longer so don't really want a big ankle kit strapped to me out in the open, regardless of what it's packed with.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

went to the range a couple days ago...lane next to me I see a green laser on the target then KABOOM dude's firing some huge long shotgun. Wife quickly realizes she didn't insert earplugs far enough. Lasers are cool and shit...I mean I had one on my 9mm... but on a shotgun???

20. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Picked up a FN 509 mid-size on lunch hour today. Will take it to range tomorrow to let it do it's thing. Only minor complaint is that it didn't come with a big, fancy case like my FNX, but I figure if that's my only complaint, then I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.
    509mid.jpg