1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess this explains why the wildcards at Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Jul 7, 2014.

1. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Dorna has a large financial interest in US racing. They need top US riders on the grids for WSBK and MotoGP to get the US crowds back. They have Europe locked down and want/need to expand their customer base. Hence the races and different tracks the last few years getting a feel for other markets.

So whats the best way to make your financial needs come to life in a market that already has the product? Destroy the current products market and then offer yours as a replacement.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way too much conspiracy theory there sorry. They have no interest in destroying anything in the US.

3. TrackStar

It's not conspiracy, it's standard business practice. If Dorna can take away AMA Pro's ability to broadcast their race at Laguna that leaves the US race fan only one choice to view. Seems more like fact than theory.

4. racing+life

racing+life Well-Known Member

Dorna doesn't have to do a thing to destroy AMA Pro, they are doing that all on their own.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Maybe not in destroying the teams, but what about the current organizers (DMG)? Would it not make sense, especially since DMG isn't playing ball, to crush them (or at least not do them any favors that would prolong their existence) and set up a national series like BSB and/or CEV that is an effective feeder to your worldwide series, WSBK and MotoGP?

6. TrackStar

AMA Pro isnt dead, it's in a coma and may be there for another 10 years on life support if someone doesnt come put a pillow over its face and sit on it.

7. TrackStar

Exactly. I'm not talking about Teams or riders. I'm talking about the organization and management. I have nothing but love and respect for the Teams and riders and hope to God they can continue to run their businesses.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dorna is there (here? Everywhere?) to make cash. When Unicef gets into roadracing I'm sure they'll give away their TV feed for free but until then, it's pay Dorna or no coke.

You, Pick up that blood.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, your reasoning is the conspiracy. The fact is simple, it's money. DMG won't pay for the rights to broadcast their races. Nothing more than that.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, DMG still owns the series and has the rights to the FIM Sanction. Dorna doing another series won't change that and that's still different than the TV rights.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, not talking about the teams/riders, just the companies involved in all of this.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But if DMG weren't DMG, Dorna might be willing to be more friendly in the negotiations. As it is (doesn't DMG owe money from a previous race?) I'm sure the only thing Dorna is saying is, "pay up sucka!"

13. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

what are they not playing ball with, because they don't want to pay xxxx amount to air a broadcast, i'm sure its expensive

14. racing+life

racing+life Well-Known Member

Exactly, they don't want to pay the fee, hurts the bottom line. Screw the fans, teams and sponsors. Never mind hurting the sport.

15. ckruzel

depends on what the fee is, i've heard a pretty steep price for a dorna media credential

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Then there are the Dorna rumors of a US-based roadracing series ..

17. TrackStar

Maybe I missed something but isnt a large part of their job (or product) broadcasting their events?

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

DMG has repeatedly pronounced themselves as the premier motorcycle racing organization in the US, effectively eliminating any acknowledgement that it's riders would ever want to move up to WSBK or GP. They refuse to align themselves with any sort of rules package (like EVO) that would allow their teams to run wildcard events more effectively and basically snub their nose at the rest of the world.

If they were to do this, they would be admitting that they're not top dog, but they'd also be helping themselves, the teams, the riders, and Dorna, by making a clearer path for rising motorcycle racers from the US.

I would not be surprised one bit to see DMG replaced altogether by a Dorna backed national series (US version of BSB) before the end of the decade.

19. ckruzel

still depends on price, what if it was 5 times the regular cost?

20. ckruzel

i think your really wrong on a bunch of that