1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess this explains why the wildcards at Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They always say that - this is nothing to do with being in the US. It is how they do business across the world, they have a valuable product and won't give it away.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The latest version is an Americas based series and using Moto3 machinery - as in North and South America.... It'll never work out. There is also nothing in place yet so it's nothing more than people talking at this point.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes. In exchange for money. Giving it away devalues that product elsewhere in the world.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, if they (Dorna) are prepared to lose Millions in the short term it could work. They land a big dollar sponsor, pay out big in purses and support the riders/ teams with cash it could work.

But I doubt they're that stupid.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well, you're a lot closer to the action than I am but once upon a time, I had a really good argument and various events/articles to back it up. I'm not really in a position at the moment to go digging for all of that so this will have to remain an opinion piece;)

I still think we'll be better off as a sport if DMG goes away and pro racing in the US becomes the same structure as BSB. The idea that a rider/team can get exposure on a world stage has got to be more appealing to sponsors than this current dog and pony show.

6. racing+life

racing+life Well-Known Member

You are really right on the "if DMG goes away" part:)

7. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

you forget where we live, roadracing is not very popular here like overseas

8. racing+life

Boy, do I dislike that excuse. Anything can do well if marketed correctly.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Only someone in marketing could have that opinion. :D

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Worst excuse ever. If we had huge sponsors, grids, and crowds before, we can have them again. There is A LOT of money not flowing in to the current series because there are too many unknowns. A big, established organization like Dorna will alleviate a lot of that trepidation, allowing the money to start flowing. Once it starts, the flood gates will open up and we'll see major investment. It's not like these companies don't have money - many have been sitting on it for the last few years because they're afraid of the downward DMG spiral (and maybe they don't want to be associated with some clowns who can't even secure a tv contract or more than a half dozen events).

Dorna is what we hoped the Nascar ties would be with DMG. It's international exposure, influence, and $$$.

11. racing+life

HAHA, or a smart business man that hires the correct people. Dunkin Dounuts was brought back from the dead, even nascar wan't near as popular until major marketing was undertaken, it was a racing nitch.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. It can do better absolutely, it can be profitable, however it will never be as popular as Europe. Just as US Football and NASCAR will never be as big there as they are here. At least not in our lifetimes.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

NASCAR was still more popular than roadracing is right now the day it started. All those local dirt tracks still had crowds every saturday night. Same as NFL was able to build off the popularity of college football when it started. There is nothing to base roadracing off of like those sports.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

NASCAR ain't as popular as it was a few years ago. They pissed off the hardcore fan (seems that happened someplace else) and the "new" fans are getting bored with it.

15. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

there used to be huge grids, cigarette sponosr money (which was more than energy drink money) and the general public still didnt go

the reason big money doesn't flow into the series is because of the tv ratings (when its on) its just not there like other sports

its not the dmg's fault that the american public would rather watch nascar and supercross over road racing, it is what it is, i'll bet if you asked random people in a store who dale jr was compared to asking who josh hayes is or even rossi you would be lucky to find anyone that knew who any roadracer was

16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Dorna isn't likely to be interested in helping revive US racing at some enormous expense, they don't care about it, so don't get your hopes up. However, there are entities already in place in this country that specialize in promoting the races properly. A long term agreement needs to be reached with an entity like this so that the promoter can recoup the investment over a period of time. That's what promoters do. (See Feld Motor Sports/Clear Channel/SFX)

17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Jason D. just tweeted. Hes bummed that it has been confrimed no covage for ama

18. caferace

caferace No.

19. racing+life

Oh, I agree, not gonna be as popular as in Europe nor many other sports. That's not to say it can't build a fan base, keep them interested and slowly build a following. Duck hunting wasn't that popular 10 years ago.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed and hopefully we can do something along those lines if they're interested. Well, not Sybil but other good promoters who know the sport and know promotions.