1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much are people paying for tattoo's?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

you couldn't pay me to

say that

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

i expected that to come.

sometimes it's good to have standards.
    my guy goes the extra mile, no bs, hourly rates, brakes...

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

4. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

$100 per hour. She is awesome.... Masters degree. Was an art teacher. Anderson, SC.

5. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Slightly off topic:

Regarding the highly detailed tattoos that some folks have, how long do they keep the detail? I've always wondered if one gets a detailed piece done (and spends decent $ on it), will it look the same in 10 years? How often do pieces need to be touched up?

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It took me a minute to see the skull...looked like an ugly bird with a big hole in its back (and that's looking at a good size desktop monitor). Don't know why you'd want that on you, but if you like it I'd suggest the arm is not the place.

7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i've never touched anything up. even my first ones still look vibrant and clear, only the yellow pigment in them has faded off a little, but the lines are still crisp. i avoid the sun. i ride mtbs in the woods or use SPF70 whenever i'm outside or use long sleeves or just go out at night. if you go to the beach every year and let yourself get all leathery and baked, your tattoos are gonna be fucked up. 17 years now and counting for me.

Scotty87 likes this.
  8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Your probably right.Never had a tattoo,wanted one,love crows,my dad had one as a pet,and crows are possibly the smartest birds in the world.
    I looked at tons of crow tats,liked that one,but it was a side piece.
    I will keep looking

9. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I work with a guy that has both arm done,colored.You can tell he spends way too much time outside,as they look like garbage.

10. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

If I go back again it'll be for the artist, not (most likely) because I want a thing and need someone to do it well. At that point, I'm paying for an artist's work and the rate will be their rate. I see it right in the same vein of buying new tires if you start question it and not buying a helmet on closeout you intend to wear for 5 years. It's the time to make good choices, not frugal ones.

11. I have the tops of my hands done amongst a lot of others. I definitely have TIG welded with no gloves on a lot, I'm not the best with sun screen (kayaking in open ocean with no sun screen) and I work with my hands all day (meaning I spin wrenches, cut, grind, weld but also work in clean room environments as well doubled up on gloves that make my hands shrivel up). The only "preventative" thing I do is I lotion my hands/arms when I get out of the shower everytime/day. I get compliments on them from people who think they're only a couple months old, including tattoo artists. They're going on 3 years now.

A lot of it has to do with how your body accepts the ink, how good the ink your tattoo artist uses and how good his technique is.

12. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Shit hurts, never again.

13. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

As others have said it's really person dependent, some people's skin takes certain colors better than others. But aftercare is key, if you don't take care of them in the first two weeks they will go to shit

14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i need to go back and add to mine... ive got about 10 hours in the chair, all with the same artist, at the time i was paying 100/hr and not paying for the smoke breaks. hes pretty popular now though so im guessing in the past 4ish years since my last session his rates may have gone up.

15. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I’ve got 18 years on my left half sleeve, no touch up, and it looks good. Quality work and it’s from the elbow up so it stays out of the sun.
    My right forearm is covered, and shows the effects of sun. Mostly black line, which still look ok, the color part has faded a bit. Hard to touch up without redoing the whole thing - I think it would look weird partially redone.

16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thx for the information guys. I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting some work done this fall. I had tattoos when I was 10 or 12, but those are long gone. Do they count if they came with your membership pack as part of the Kiss Army in the 70's?

ToofPic likes this.
  17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So great for vampires... :Poke: just kidding to each their own I just find it easy to stir things on certain topics...kind of like Alabama vs Auburn when you don't care....

18. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

no ink here but lots of scars but I'm sort of wanting one and if it happens I'm going to Lizzy's yep she used to be Lizzy Leathers. She has a tattoo parlor in WV mountains . Sherry Morrow . she is on facebook . b bill

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Hey Bill, what part of WV? I'm over there a lot.

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

haha sure. i mean, i work in an office all day, wear dress clothes. have long sleeve MTB jerseys (which also help keep the thorns and bugs off you) or i just spray sunscreen before i go. and i don't really do beach vacations, more often i end up in the mountains somewhere. so its just naturally that way. back in college for sure, i barely came outside until the sun was down. if you work construction or landscaping or something outside and love swimming or beach going or baking at a ballgame all day, i imagine its a lot harder for you. i'll be in the Caribbean in January... i'll just be applying lotion a few times a day, no biggie. there's also the whole thing about, when i'm 70 and they look fucked up and faded and saggy skin, everyone else will be saggy and old with their liver spots and veins too, so then who really cares for various reasons at various points of life haha. old tattoos for an old well-worn life. meantime tho... keep them nice for as long as possible with minimal efforts.