1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much are people paying for tattoo's?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Aug 8, 2018.

1. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

So I haven't gotten tattooed in about 7-8yrs. I remember paying an average of $200-$250 per session back then and the normal session was 2-3hrs.

Fast forward to a month ago I'm at the beach and decide I want to get something beach related. Guy says $250 and I'm thinking ok lets do it. Guy is done in an hour and now I'm thinking wtf just happened. I chalked it up to being July in Myrtle beach and tourists getting the tourist price.

Tonight I hit up a local shop in town that's been around for a year or two and to my surprise they are quoting near the same prices, $200+ per hour. What the hell happened, when did every tattoo shop start charging lawyer rates?!?!? Is this the norm for others here getting tattooed and I'm just behind in the times, or is this a little excessive?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Nothing

trussdude and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

A few thousand though most people call them scars...

Sabre699 and rd400racer like this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Because everyone is getting all inked up and the demand for GOOD artists is there. Hipster love tats.

My buddy is paying $300 an hour at a discount for a sleeve and back piece from a great artist.

Scotty87 likes this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Zero dollars. Ain't wasting my money on tat's. Hell I'm not getting free ones either.

kangasj likes this.
  6. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Dignity. It’ll cost your dignity at the retirement home, if you make it that far.

:D :D :D

kangasj and Sabre699 like this.
  8. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

$200 per hour is pretty spot on

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My daughter has a few tattoos that we aren't real happy about. My wife asked my son why he hasn't gotten any and he replied, "I've got scars mom. They're worth way more than any tattoo."

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

$150 an hour is about the going rate for a good artist.

Those are Chicago prices, not sure in other areas.

11. 150 - 250 an hour but asking about cost is kind of a moot point, look for artists work.

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

$10 in 1985.

Shenanigans likes this.
  13. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Reckon I'm just behind in the times. I'll just find a guy that does solid work and go from there.

14. That’s key. My guy is booked out 6 months and I have to fly there.

15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Nothing.

No regerts about it either.

Rebel635, jasonhise, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  16. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

I generally dont put decals on anything unless they are paid for and even then they are easily removable.

badmoon692008 and kangasj like this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

NOREGERTS!

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

$60 to $100 an hour for my guy, depending on how intricate the work.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

NO RAGRETS was funnier

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I got two 3/4 sleeves and some connecting work across the bike. I traded my street 929 (which I no longer rode) to a guy for $2900. He valued his time at $130/hr (2008/2009 time frame). Worked to about 25 hours when all was said an done, include an additional session for touchup, and modifications of some things that I wanted done (sharper edges, more layering of greyscale, etc.)

So, there you go. $130/hr in Portland, in 2008/2009.

Find an artist you really like their work, and their work ethic.

Example: There's a fellow racer here in PDX, that is also a tattoo artist. Has his own shop and bills $200/hr. Multiple people have stated that they don't want to use him, b/c he's on a cigarette & phone break for 15min/hr effectively only getting 45 minutes of work done.