1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much are people paying for tattoo's?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Aug 8, 2018.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You couldn’t pay me to get one

Shenanigans, kangasj and brex like this.
  2. Generally I figure about $175-$225/hr. The guy I've been going to for 6-7 years charges me around $150/hr now.

3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

The cigarette breaks are a huge no no for me. Once you start let's do the session. I have an issue with taking a break, one because I'm paying for the time and two because I don't want everything to relax and start swelling up.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. Get an upfront price. I put down a deposit (well I used to) and then I would ask how much I should bring with me/budget. It was a tactful way of figuring out how much/long he was going to take. I've never been charged for any breaks either.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yup. Outline, price, deal. Tip if it’s better than expected.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

your buddy is getting ripped off unless he's a collector and just had to have a tat or sleeve from some famous dude. there's enough awesome artists out there that this kinda shit is unnecessary. my brother got a Kat Von D tat once because he was on that stupid ass show. i hear that she charges $1000 an hour just to even look at you, if she even takes new customers any more. she's good at portraits sure, but i've seen better. there's no need for that kinda thing other than to say you got one from somebody famous or if your passion is collecting tattoos on yourself from famous artists.

$150-200 is pretty much the going rate at most places in most major cities for good artists. i've been going to the same dude now for 5-6 years like every month or so. at this point, i'll sit for some hours, and he'll be like "just gimme $150...". but i also basically tip him the same amount on top, and he loves the stuff i wanna do, and we're buddies at this point i guess. you usually get discounts for being a repeat customer. if you want "A" tattoo, shop rate + tip. i usually tip $15-20 an hour as a standard, more if i get the hook-up.

also... if you want to support a racer, that guy in San Fran named Grime who gets all his racebikes built by EDR, is one of the best dudes i've ever seen at what he does. and everyone that works at his shop is unreal awesome. my buddy here has a sleeve done by Lango there. i hear the waiting list is like 6-8 months, or it was, i don't even know any more, but he's a ridiculous tattoo artist and he races the motorbikes, so there's that...

ToofPic likes this.
  7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I'm paying zero dollars.

R Acree likes this.
  8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

tumblr_of8txhuogX1tnk2vjo1_500.jpg

I want this on my arm.It was originally a side rib piece.Im thinking inside,upper wrist to inside elbow.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

It's funny how many guys went out of their way to come in here and go on record that they don't have any tattoos. Cool story, bro. Great contributions to the thread!

I paid ~$180 / hr a couple of years ago. As has already been mentioned, $200 / hour for a quality artist sounds right.

10. Once you start just keep going. I’m getting the rest of my lower leg done in Oct/Nov. going to be 2 Long sessions. I’m sure the shin will feel f ing great.

11. I was fortunate to have Garver do all the work I have before he went all TV. Back of my leg is 13 years old and looks as good as day it healed. Even back then he was in the 250 range or so. He came recommended by a friend of mine who’s covered in quality tattoos.

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Most of the folks that mentioned it to me were opposed to paying for his breaks. I'm fine if that's the rate, just back out the time for your breaks and I'll pay you for actual work.

Most I ever did in a single sitting was 3 hours. I asked up front with the guy I traded the bike to, and that what he said he could/would do.

13. To be honest if dude wants a smoke break and it gets me a better tattoo so be it. Not saying I’m totally cool with paying 200 an hour and he’s gone for half of it but who cares, it’s on you for life (sorta)

Phl218 likes this.
  14. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

What if it's worse than expected?

15. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

That's actually where I'm at too, working on the knee down area and the next piece is a lighthouse right up the shin. Pretty sure it's gonna suck, but oh well. I scheduled a consult with a shop for today, see what I think and go from there.

16. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

17. Sweatypants

almost every dude, or lady, i've ever been to smokes. and all of them have detracted that from the tattoo time when they do the math at the end. i think most good artists are honest about that sorta thing.

i've done two 10 hour days back to back before, and a 13 and 6 hour back to back day thing before. it fuckin sucks, but i was in from out of town visiting and that's the way it goes sometimes i guess.

divot on the outside of your elbow where the tendon is when you lock your arm straight out was my worst for a long time, until i got my sternum done, which then made me question why i was even sitting there in the chair while it was happening haha... now? love handle fat is my #1 worst spot by far, and i have no idea why since usually its bone or pressure points that hurt the most. it was like stabbing fire and i wanted to kill myself almost to the point i couldn't sit still. everything else, not so bad. i'm afraid for the day where i have to tackle the back of my knees, and i don't think i'll ever be tackling my armpits ever, just thinking of that gives me the willies. saw a dude get his palm tattoo'd once who was already covered in tattoos and he was crying and it made me cringe. watching a grown man cry, who i know you could probably break a stool over his head and he'd just be angry about it, is disturbing haha.

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Ummm joking just like when I tell my Canadian buddy he needs the beaver with a hockey stick and maple leaf as a tattoo. Personally they are not my thing and I suspect a lot of old folks with saggy green blobs in the future when this wears off but if it is your thing get one. Though on the saggy green inks might have improved, who knows. Personally I also try to avoid the scars I joked about also.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Might be who am I to harsh his buzz? He has more than enough money and that's what he wants to piss it away on. lol!

Sweatypants likes this.
  20. Sweatypants

amen haha. as long as its good stuff, rather expensive on something that's permanent than save a buck.