1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeschool

Discussion in 'General' started by Chango, May 5, 2016.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

It's "Hooked on monkey fonics".

You see, I've learned something today. Public schools may be a bit lacking in education, but it's the main place where children learn all of their social skills. You can't teach a child social skills. They have to learn them themselves. And the only place to do that is on the playground, in the cafeteria, and so on. Don't you see, papá? That's what happened to your daughter. You tried so hard to keep her from anythng sexual, and now look at her. She's a God-damned whore, papá.

cajun636 likes this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's the easiest way to teach your children about humans coexisting peacefully with dinosaurs.

Sean Jordan likes this.
  3. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Friend of mine home schools his two boys in Austin and I'd say that they are typical teenage boys socially and are fairly advanced. From an outsiders perspective, the key variable seems to be the parents. If the parents are not disciplined and organized, then there should be no surprise when the kids exhibit similar behavior.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The biggest difference in private/home education and public is parental involvement. The worst problems with public schools are directly due to SOME parents not giving a crap about how their kids perform. Everyone else suffers for the actions, or inaction, of a few.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ken, thanks. Saved me from having to type all that. :D

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

One of my co-workers was homeschooled on and off with her older brother, and she said that it would have been better just to go to school. The social interactions were key. Everything else you can figure out.

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Wife is a teacher, we are both coaches, and live in a community where we have quite a few home schooled kids. The definite downsides are social interaction with other kids and many "life lessons" that you don't encounter at home. When home schooled kids join the club sports team, it's immediately apparent that they have a difficult time understand social order, alpha syndrome, etc.. It takes them time to adjust. Once they do, they do just fine.

On the flip side, I see many of the home school kids that have exceptional manners, stay on task very well, and are good students.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yes it does, sum it up perfectly lol

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yep. I see this in my kids public schools. My wife volunteers and there's one third grade boy she loves to help. The teachers and staff think he's nothing but a trouble maker. He does have behavioral issues and an ingrained belief that since he's black white people don't like him. I'm sure he gets that from home, but that's his life experience and his parents may have had horrible racial interactions and that's what they know.

Anyway when my wife works with him she spends a lot of time talking and listening, mainly listening to him. He loves her and I think it's because she treats him without any preconception of his behavior issues.

blah blah blah off topic post over.

Great example of teachers going beyond just teaching to really help kids have a better future -- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/teacher-creates-gentlemans-club-to-help-young-boys-with-life-lessons/

10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

My wife is a pediatric psychologist who deals with many of these kids, and from what she's relayed to me is that a lot of home/cyber-schoolers are started down that path for the wrong reasons(1) or by the wrong people(2). The end result is that it can get a bad rep.
    However, we also know a couple whose wife has an education degree, and makes damn sure there's plenty of interaction. He's the first "normal" home schooled kid I've seen. Because the kid is smart, they're able to advance quickly through things he understands quickly, and spend more time on things that he doesn't. They are able to travel a lot and he doesn't "miss" class, since they do it on the road. Nothing beats learning about the Grand Canyon and then stepping outside to see it.

(1) "Johnny's getting picked on." "Johnny is unhappy when he comes home" "Johnny has a hard time making friends", so they think that sheltering him from interaction will fix the problem?
    (2) People who have a room-temperature IQ themselves.. People who lack the discipline to ensure that the kid works his ass off.. People who don't have the means to provide the other things needed to ensure a successful program.. etc.

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

There are also plenty of weird socially awkward kids that went through both public and private schools.

r6boater and R Acree like this.
  12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yep, but they were exposed to a cross section of society they are likely to encounter throughout their life.

Newsshooter likes this.
  13. There are three basic reasons to homeschool:

1. Your child suffers from developmental or behavioral issues so severe that your local school system can't handle him/her. You must homeschool to protect others and try to prevent your child from turning to drugs and prostitution. You'll probably fail, but it's worth trying.

2. Your child suffers from hyper-intellect, and is so advanced that your local school system can't handle him/her. You built a functional cold fusion reactor from used matchsticks and plastic clothespins when you were 8 years old, so you think you have enough intelligence to keep your gifted child challenged and engaged; otherwise, your child will turn to drugs and prostitution. You'll probably fail, but it's worth trying.

3. You are a flaming nutcase with a bizarre worldview and apocalyptic beliefs. You are convinced you are right, and the rest of the world is wrong about almost everything. You want to ensure your child is not exposed to propaganda and foolish ideas that might conflict with your propaganda and foolish ideas. You will create either a mindless robot, or a child who will eventually rebel so strongly against your manipulations that he/she will turn to drugs and prostitution. You'll certainly fail, but you'll convince yourself it was worth trying.

If your child doesn't fit into one of these extremes, it's probably better not to homeschool. Social interaction while being educated is very important, and most people without the proper education and training don't actually have what it takes to be a teacher. If you fall into category 3, I suggest moving to one of the states where homeschooling isn't subjected to much in the way of state regulation (if you're not already in one). That way you can avoid pesky requirements like the child needing to read or understand a world history that's different from your version. As an example - here in Tennessee, one of my neighbors is homeschooling her 8-year-old grandson. He's never had to open a book or write anything down, and everyone seems to be fine with that. He's going to have a great future as a meth addict.

14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

HA!

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To me the exact same thing should be said about any schooling.

Eskimo likes this.
  16. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

There's good and bad in both. More parent involvement is needed today vs yesteryear. Too much PC in today's school system.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My mom married a guy and this was his daughter to a T. She home schooled both of her boys and they turned out pretty close to your description above (albeit the second boy didn't go into drugs or prostitution, but he did become a wild ass).

When they were younger we just referred to them as the Stepford Kids.

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yes there are, but if those same kids had little exposure to different social situations would the be more or less able to cope when they do have to work with others?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Socially awkward at lets call it 23 getting a real job - what's better at that point, to have at least learned what kind of assholes there are in the world and while you may hate it you can deal, or to have been sheltered from the assholes so now your choice is to figure out quickly how to survive or go running back to mommys basement?

I would have done much better being homeschooled form a pure learning standpoint. But if I hadn't gone to public (well, combo of public and catholic) school I wouldn't have the winning personality I have now.

Yzasserina likes this.
  20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Honestly (not being snarky) but I think that was part of Ken's point.

I may be wrong, but that was how I read it.