1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeschool

Discussion in 'General' started by Chango, May 5, 2016.

1. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

I have yet to meet your son but from what I gather from what I hear on here and at the track is that he is a smart, polite young man which is alot more than I can say for some of the clients I deal with on a daily basis that range from 16 yrs old to 68 yrs old.

Phl218 and r6boater like this.
  2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

As I mentioned before we have almost 4000 home school students in our family. It is clear that the parents of home schoolers are the most important part of their education. That should be true of all students, since 2/3 of their day is not in school, but sadly, many parents are non-participatory in their student's education, they just leave it up to the school except to bitch about standards, common core, bullying and the teachers because they have failed to even educate themselves about any of these important issues.

I believe one of the biggest benefits for home school families is the flexibility it allows them to pursue other activities, especially when it comes to families involved in things like racing or travelling or farming or subsistence living and hunting and trapping and hiking, etc. Think how much fun you could have had as a kid if you weren't tied to the school calendar. The socialization can be a very real issue. I suggest that you check with your state regulations, but many states allow home school students to participate in extra-curricular activities in their district of residence. You can also look into whether home school students can attend the local school for selected classes.

The other type of school to look at is the virtual or online school where all if the learning and much of the instruction is online via the computer. Our district also has a program, but it is for high school students only. For the right kind of student that is self directed and self motivated it can be a great way to go. For the student who has failed a with a variety of educational opportunities this will probably prove to be no different unless their circumstances have changed dramatically. It is great for those students who can do well in a traditional or home school environment who have had circumstances like pregnancy, the need to work (or race) or injury or illness necessitates an alternative educational placement.

The world of education is changing and I believe there will be wholesale change in basic structure of education in America due to shortage of qualified teachers, advances in technology, understanding of learning and a decrease in funding. Things will look very different in the next 10 years and those of you with school age children or younger should probably educate yourself so you can make educated choices. If I lived in Chicago or Detroit and had a school aged child, you can bet I would be looking at all of my options, right now.

3. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Interesting that the two people that really bullied hard, one went to the Army and the other a Police Officer....reverse Bully?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I could see being bullied get you to want to help others who are being bullied.

dsmitty37, BigBird and Newsshooter like this.
  6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This. Bigtime.

BigBird likes this.
  7. My experience with him as well.

dsmitty37 and r6boater like this.
  8. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

First off, I'm assuming this was directed at myself along with Cajun. If you ever insult me by saying I was in the Army, I will stab you in the eye with a soldering iron.:D
    There are soldiers, then there are Marines. Two completely different animals.
    Second, the reason I joined the Marines, is because every male before me had served. I felt it was a right of passage and made that choice at a very young age. And I think Mongo has hit the nail on the head with that, (bullies helping bullies) and there is no reason to explain myself further.

cajun636 and BigBird like this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

So you went to war to defend our rights of passage? :p

10. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

more like a family tradition then. didn't do it for anyone but myself.

11. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

ha, i was the first generation of male on my dad's side to not be a marine, luckily my younger brother decided to carry on the tradition

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm curious. Did you take it up with the principal and or the board of education? Also, what county if you don't mind me asking?

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

A girl that was bullying kids tried something like that with Olivia, she responded with a boot to the head. The school tried to make an issue of it but I didn't care, someone was picking on my girl and she handled it. I told her "good job". Eff bullies.

[​IMG]

14. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

The principal was the one who suspended him, he and my wife talked... if we hadn't already been on the fence about even being in public school, maybe we'd have pursued it more. This was just the straw.

Knox County, Karns Middle School.
    Yeah, Draik's response to the kid was just fine by me, it was the lack of teacher intervention, the fact it was the other kid's 3rd suspension in 3 months of school, and the same punishment for Draik as the other kid...

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It's definitely messed up.

r6boater likes this.
  16. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

lol, no, I was bullied like every other kid. I just fought back. "Bullied" is shit that all kids go through IMO. It is how deal with it that matters. If that were the case you can refer to my post about my own kid.

My inherent "policiness" comes from my mom. She told me to always take up for women, and those who could not for themselves, those smaller and weaker than you. I was the strongest, set state records in power lifting in high school, the fastest in the school and Football Captain. I suffered no issues of bullying. I wasn't even "bullied" lets say, I was just picked on because I was poor. But had friends, was well liked, I think.. lol

I always fought back. And I also had a dad that if I lost a fight, sent me back to fight again. And I did, and it worked, because the kid was like are you really coming back to fight again? .. Christmas day 1988.. Fought 3 times that day. Over a kid taking my bike and me pulling him off, then the fight started, then dad sent me back.

BigBird likes this.
  17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

The problem sometimes is that the laws work to protect the kids who are bad to keep those assholes in school. My problem is that their being there hurts to good ones with unwanted distractions.

r6boater likes this.
  18. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Woah woah woah...I'm calling BS on this one :)

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

He did say "was"... :D

20. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Good point!