1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeschool

Discussion in 'General' started by Chango, May 5, 2016.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Bullying as a child sucks. I don't understand bullying as an adult?

2. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

oh it still happens, just at places like the YMCA, Soccer Practice, Church, Playgrounds, etc.

Back to my point #1, you have more 'control' over it

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

It does suck, bullying was just the word to get your attention. What I mean by bullying is just conflict. It happens every day.

What I have seen is that it just exemplifies the "every kid gets a trophy" mentality. They are over nurtured and like some others have mentioned. It is a shell shock. Some know how to deal with an argument over a parking spot, some don't know being told no from their parents much less from a person who has no right to tell them no.

Then they call the police. Because they don't have the coping skills developed during adolescence and early teens. These are social skills. And the argument has been (with homeschooler parents I know) that but they have interaction with other people. Like adults.. news flash, once they get out your house they won't be hanging out with adults YOUR age. They will be hanging out with kids and or adults their age.

The real shit part of this new fad is.. that it is my generation that is doing it. The last of the generations who didn't grow up with rules, regulations and stayed inside playing video games all day. We played outside till the lights came on, ran through woods, rode in the back of pick ups. These are the same over protective parents that want to call the police on a 8 year old walking home from school. News flash, I did it since I was 6, and generations before us all have. It is just over protection at it's highest level, now it includes schools. . But ask your kid when they are 14 or so if they really want to be home schooled. I be they say hell no. They just want to be a normal kid... like you were.

This is also done by people who are well off enough do leave one parent home, which probably means (just a good assumption) that they have a decent job, and presumably because of a good education.. and more than likely a normal education.

Whether you like it or not, life has a pecking order (on the subject of bullying) and by eliminating your child from interaction with kids their age, you just put them automatically at the bottom of the pecking order.

Want to find out about socially awkward people. Look up and listen to Elliot Rodger's video... He DID have regular schooling. But FUCK me man was he awkward.

I for one am glad I went to catholic and public schools.

BrianC636 likes this.
  4. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

This will probably get taken the wrong way, but here I go. I was bullied a lot as a child. everyday on the school bus, after school, you name it. Not like being teased, but physically getting punched in the face, smacked in the face with text books, tripped down the hallway. mind you, I was skin and bones in school, and was not allowed to fight at all at school per my father. I hated school. nothing was done after multiple complaints to the school. this was in the 80's and I graduated in'90. I think bullies are worse today with social media. but after 6 years in the Marine Corps, I only have 2 more left to inflict pain on since then. If my kids start to have a problem with bullies in public school, I will pull them and home school.

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Right. Exactly. Refer to my above post. You are exemplifying over protection.

What do you do when they are 24 and don't have the coping skills to deal with someone who just cut them in a line at a super market.

I mean..... Can you IMAGINE a world where a full grown adult Male has never gotten into a fight with anyone other than their siblings!?!.. I mean besides Kenny. :D

6. 6_Myles

When I say 'control' I don't mean control of the situation, I mean control of the response to the situation.

I am faaaarrrr from overprotecting of my children

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

So was I... Chased home, by the people who are now in jail. I would take different ways home from school, picked on because I was poor and had holes in my clothes.. You name it. It sucked. And to that point, the school has measures in place to insure that it doesn't happen.

daveknievel likes this.
  8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Do tell. what happens when you are not around..

9. 6_Myles

Cajun, you got kids?

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dammit.

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

3 and one of them begging to be home schooled. He is bullied. He is the shortest kid in all of 7th grade. His best friend. Who is NOW home schooled, is begging his mom to let him back into school. He changed schools with my son in the 6th grade. Now wants to go back to regular school to just be a normal kid. He just wants to hang out with kids in school. Not the kids that he meets at the "outings" or meetings that they have every Tuesday. Not mention, he is a ladies man, how does he develop those skills also....

These kids are so directed that they have no choice because they have no control over what they can and can't do. What they can and can't like. They can't be their own person. What if they LOVE football, soccer, volleyball. Sure they can play park ball then what. they going to go into the league of home schooled kids?

EDIT: I will go further into my child. He is the smallest, he gets picked on, I know that there are procedures in place to stop any type of bullying. But.... just like I told him, I cannot be there all the time, nor will I be able to as he grows up. And that he needs to be able to defend himself. If that means getting into a fight, then so be it. I don't advocate violence, I am just a realist, and deal with arguments all day. Over stupid shit, basically bullying. But with adults and kids.

Running to the home school to protect a kid won't protect him against that boss that is an asshole, that college teacher that is a dick, the asshole neighbor that we all have to deal with. Those are problems that happen outside the school. Those are problems that he/she can't run away from. And you can't teach them that, they have to learn on their own how to internalize that, and come up with a solution. Running away isn't always one of them.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

How in the world would anyone take that the wrong way? Terrible that you did not have the support you needed as a youth, glad you discovered it in adulthood, glad for your kids, and thank you for your service.

daveknievel, cajun636 and BigBird like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

:crackup::crackup:

14. 6_Myles

In NC, public schools can't keep a HS kid from trying out for the sports program but we do have a rather robust homeschool league for soccer and swimming here. Not so much for other sports.

And the kids flip flopping back and forth is kinda a point...kids don't know what they want, let alone what they need and what is best for them. Parents have to make those decisions. we have families who HS half their kids and public school one and private school another.

As a new parent 10yrs ago, I asked my grandmother for some parenting advice regarding nature vs. nuture. She replied you 'have to nuture the nature of the kid'....so going back to #1 above, if your kids is weird/freakish/scared/shy/a bully/etc....they will be that in public, private, or home school. It's up to the parents to steer that ship

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Cuz the cops don't hire people who are really smart. :Poke: :Poke: :p

16. 6_Myles

smart-ish, I mean the person wants to be a police office to start with so we know where that base line is

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah, I can't see anyone taking that the wrong way either. It sucks. And now there are procedures in place to make sure it is minimized at the school level. If it progresses further the kid is expelled. Then criminal charges get pressed. Yes, it goes that far.

I believe that your situation, like mine, shaped who I am and I am willing to be who he is.

You know what I watched the other day, 3 O'clock High. Remember that movie? GOD I could relate and was petrified for that kid.

18. 6_Myles

This goes to one of my other points....people who HS for the wrong reasons. Now if the child's safety is an issue, then by all means get them out and in a safe situation. But if the parent is knee jerk reacting to a situation then that's the parents fault, not the system they choose to educate their child within.

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

What was yours? I am guessing your wife stays home? It's a lot of work I know. And you have to relearn the stuff. And F that Common Core crap lol

20. 6_Myles

Yes, my wife stays home. Initially we decided to homeschool because it was easier for our schedule. Kindergarten you can get done in an hour and it was just easier for us with a 2yo and newborn. Starting HS right in the middle of elementary or middle school would be a cluster fuck for a parent who doesn't know anything.

Oh yea, CC math...ain't no one got time for that.