1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home audio questions.

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh yeah, that's a budget set up! :crackup:

2. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Mine was...

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

+1

When I was stationed overseas, we could get high end audio gear for nothing. I bought a Yamaha M70 amp and C70 control amp and a pair of Klipsch Cornwall's. Still have them (going on 30 years old) and they still sound fantastic. You can get the Yamaha stuff on Ebay for a decent price. I bought my son an old Yamaha integrated amp for his stereo on Ebay.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

;) V-Dosc will let you hear God. It would probably destroy a living room though.:D

5. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Is it wrong that I get a warm fuzzy feeling looking at that picture?

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Sound check always made my heart flutter.:eek:

7. rd400racer

8. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Analog only if you got a good record player. If it's not that great then either get a receiver with a phono jack or buy a cheap preamp for it.

Clean your records!

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

BEWARE!

I don't listen to vinyl much any more although I've still got a collection from the `60's~`80's.

When I needed to update my AV receiver amp this year I had a hell of a hard time finding anything current (at a reasonable price) that had phono inputs.

Check the specs carefully!

10. rd400racer

All I know is that I'm a 100% Yamaha guy.

I've got a complete Yamaha stereo, I play Yamaha drums, I have a Yamaha bass, and 9 Yamaha motorcycles.

They have never let me down. One day I'll probably get a tuning fork tat.

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

If you can find a decent Shure cartridge, and a pair of old-school Bose 901 speakers, you may be surprised at how warm and rich the music sounds.

You may also discover that a lot of contemporary music really sucks, when heard through good equipment instead of iPod earbuds :(

Ponder this: Would Mariah Carey actually be the best-selling recording artist in the last 20 years, if people could actually HEAR her music? I seriously doubt it.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You need speakers? I have speakers. I've got this last set leftover from my route today. Boss says it's cheaper to sell them at a loss than to bring them back. These things are awesome, man. $400.00

$200.00?

$100.00?

$50.00?

C'mon man, these things are sweet!

13. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

And yet your avatar is a Ducati?
    But on the stereo again, yamaha would probably be the best bet to get reasonably nice stuff for a non audiophile. I also am very fond of most things Yamaha. And a friend of mine does have a Tuning fork tat, I'll probably pass on that though. :)
    definitely look for good used equipment, it'll save you a ton and you can find some really nice stuff.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

It would be really good if the OP gave us an idea of the specific rig he got -- it would do wonders to spec appropriate corresponding gear. Also the room and listening habits would help.

Panther is very correct -- if its a low-to mid-fi turntable (Dual 5000 or lesser) it has become hard to find a receiver (amp, preamp, tuner in one box) with a phono stage. Depending on the output of the cartridge, the signal from vinyl is very low, and requires a lot of boost, hence those circuits are difficult to make work well.

15. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Ha!

I've been rockin a set of Klipsch Heresy speakers since Nineteen fuckin eighty one, with a Yamaha amp too boot.

Friggin' mindreaders!

16. rd400racer

What can I say, the Yamaha's are what I call work bikes, they get the job done. The Duc is mostly for show.

What part of WV are you in? I'm heading to Glenville in about 3 hours to visit the in-laws. Of course I'll have to listen to a rash of crap about the Louisville-WV game last weekend. Truth is, neither team looked worth much.

Happy Thanksgiving all:up:

17. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

I'm over next to OH, in Parkersburg. I've definitely been through Glenvile a bunch, kind of In the middle of no where isn't it. The roads are great for riding though. And yeah, I don't think anyone in the big east can do much bragging this year. :(
    Kind of a music related topic. Last time I was in Louisville, it was to see Lyle Lovett in concert, and I know he's odd but his music has a real quality to it. His recording on cd are a lot higher quality than most other like Mariah Careys that's is for sure!!
    Have a great Thanksgiving in WV.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  18. OZZY

OZZY I DO WORK.....

for an average home audio user, the Yamaha receivers are hard to beat. get yourself a 7.1 receiver and like someone mentioned above, the Klipsch speakers are damn good and pretty cost effective. JBL makes some good home audio speakers as well...

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

really need to figure out a budget, then build around that. Some speakers sound awesome, but are not efficient and thus you need a major amp (well,amps-plural) to run em.
    Here is a pretty cool outfit that sells used TOP END equipment .. http://www.audioclassics.com/reasons.php3
    Good info, pictures often of the items, and a "grade" for condition.

20. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member