1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home audio questions.

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Sweet. What bands?

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I miss my old Luxman stuff...:(

3. Mostly local groups (DC area), and a lot of solo and small ensemble musicians of all types - we were the bargain-basement guys, because we were predominantly analog right at the height of the digital craze. Sad thing is if we were in business now with the same gear that we had then, we'd probably be the high-dollar guys - analog is back in, digital is out.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Haha crazy how the taste of the moment changes!

5. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

:crackhead:
    Your opinion is based on what? Don’t like the facts? Go argue with AudioReview.

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/cerwin-vega/MCL_175crx.aspx

or
    http://www.rateitall.com/i-11671-cerwin-vega-al-series.aspx

I didn’t say CVs are the best, but for the money they’ll satisfy 90% of ears. I like my Electro-Voice and Klipsch, but most people won’t because they don't have an ear for better sound.
    If money is not a concern, then get the top shelf items.

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's the thing with audio, it's ALL based on opinion. You have to listen to this stuff, and pick what you like. Not what someone else likes, not what someone tells you is "the best", not what the magazines like, etc. etc.. As long as it's quality gear the only thing that really matters is that your ears like it.

7. It's rather amusing that you're claiming the anonymous user-submitted reviews at that site are "fact." :p

:crackup:

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Unless CV's have changed dramatically since I last went speaker shopping, they've got muddy, boomy bass, terrible high frequency response and mediocre midrange and take up to much space. If you want loud, yeah, they'll blow your ear drums, but I want better frequency response than what I've heard from Cerwin Vega speakers. granted, I haven't bought speakers in 10 years, so perhaps they've improved their line.

9. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

I love how everything inevitably turns into some form of an argument haha.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay kids, looking at an Onkyo tx-nr808, good bad mediocre? Amazon has it for under 700 right now...

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I also need a sub. Luckily speakers are already in the walls, dunno if they're good or bad but for now it doesn't matter, those can get upgraded later.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha! $530 for a sub isn't in the budget by a long shot but thanks :D

13. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

It will be worth sleeping on the couch though.

:D

14. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

15. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

Mongo, unless you have very high-end inwalls I wouldn't even go that much for a receiver. Rowe typically the HTIB stuff is horrendous sounding, but it is a one box solution. Personally I'd take an old NAD and a decent pair of speakers any day over the prepackaged stuff.

16. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure what's in the walls but they will most likely be replaced at some point. Just don't want to do it all at once.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Onkyo and their higher end line, Integra are very good stuff.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member