1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home audio questions.

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Nov 23, 2010.

1. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Home audio experts what do you guys recommend? I was just given a record player, and i'm looking for a decent set up to use with it. I really do not want to spend a ton of money, but I would like something that sounds good.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

4. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Yamaha receiver and Klipsch speakers.

Stay away from Buy Other Sound Equipment. (BOSE)

5. rowe748

For the price of BOSE you'd think it's the greatest stuff on earth, good to know.

6. ecell1

ecell1 Well-Known Member

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

a record player!?!
    wth is that?!?
    :D
    um, what kind of turntable is it? if it's a run of the mill turntable, nothin' good will make it sound any better.

...and where the hell you gonna get vinyl? you got a left-over library?

8. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Bose isn't bad

if it was about 1/3 of the price.

You can get a lot more for your money if you stay away from Bose. Hell you can get better quality speakers cheaper by staying away from Bose.

9. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

That is rather tacticool.

:D

10. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Good luck with that! About 15 years ago I started buying Higher end audio equipment and figured out it was way above my means. It actually may be worse than motorcyle related items!!! :wow: And everything I own now, the companys aren't even in business anymore. I could have had a real nice racebike for what I've got in that stuff! :(
    The only thing I've got for you is to repeat what an earlier post said. Stay away from BOSE, there's way better for the money. I just don't know who it is anymore. Sorry.

11. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

For the record, there are better things than Yamaha out there, but for the price, availability and quality it is hard to beat.

12. rowe748

ha, you know one of those devices that spins the black ufo looking things. I was actually surprised to find out how many places you are still able to get vinyl records.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would say the same thing for some of the middle of the road Pioneer stuff as well. I have a mid-level Pioneer receiver I bought about 2 years ago. Price was reasonable, sound quality is excellent. Problem with audio equipment is its like computer equipment these days. If you need to stay on the bleeding edge then you're constantly buying new shit to stay current/compatible.

14. rowe748

yeah i'm not looking to go broke, that's what the motorcycles are for. the yamaha stuff looks good, and I just had another friend recommend pioneer as well.

15. fastfreddie

always?
    :wow:

i've got six of their speakers sittin' in the living roo...uh, on the first floor. :D
    the focus is on the sound that the two 800 series puts out, accessorized by a center, two walls and a sub-woofer.

i coulda bought a boat... :rolleyes:

16. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Not a fan of Pioneer, good quality yes, but pain in the butt to program and get customized settings correct.

17. fastfreddie

if you're gonna build on a piece of analog equipment, ditch the digital crap. get ya some old crown, harmon-kardon or soundcraftsman amplifiers from the late 70s-early 80s.
    you'll have to get up to turn the knobs, tho'. :D

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Details of the room? You going for a home theatre or are you looking for a stereo set up?

I'm a huge fan of the Rotel/ B&W combo but that will never be cheap. :)

Bose: no highs or lows, it's gotta be Bose. Although their noise canceling headphone RULE! :D

19. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

I've had Kenwood for years, no complaints.

20. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

McIntosh Tube power amps, Marantz Reciever & B&W speakers.
    I picked up my old McIntosh Amp at a garage sale for $20 & sold it to pay my college tuition for about $1500 back in 96. Dumbest thing I ever did.