1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High mileage electric bikes and cars coming soon

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Usually not, as far as I understand from all the reading, the software is designed to ignore stationary objects. Something about objects on the side of the road, different angles things are seen from like overpasses or signs.

I know the GM SuperCruise would tell you to steer in the situation, The tesla system usually seems to have the attitude of "ehhh fuck it, let's see what happens." The only times I remember my car telling me to take over is when there are no lanes visible and no car in front of me. Most times as long as a car is in front, even if it loses sight of the lanes it will drunkenly follow the car in front. Now the newer Teslas (2016.5+) with the additional cameras and software upgrades may react differently, but I'm skeptic about it.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my eyes and brain to tell me where to steer my car.

3. Trunxgp1224

That's so 2013

4. Dan Dubeau

Apparently..... My last vehicle purchase was in 2012. I'm a couple years behind.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My daily driver is a 1978 model. I plan on getting at least another 41 years of service from it. I'm anticipating some problems when every other vehicle on the road is controlled by Skynet.

Dan Dubeau and Newsshooter like this.
  6. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Impossible. There wasn’t one single decent car built in 1978.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

BMW M1

motoracer1100 likes this.
  8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

In all fairness, he never said that it was a decent vehicle. It might be a 1978 model with annual upgrades. Like grampa's axe: "We replaced the handle three times and the head twice, but grampa's axe is still in the family."

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. nigel smith

KINDLE_CAMERA_1457189996000.jpg

pscook likes this.
  10. Chango

Chango Something clever!

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Easy to find in a BOLO situation.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Breaks On Long Outings?

13. nigel smith

Believe it or not, that is a 100% stock, original Ford trim package. You could go straight from the dealer's lot to the disco secure in the knowledge that nobody was going to upstage you with a shiny silk shirt.

14. Dan Dubeau

Nice truck. It's amazing how far they've come with gradient paint jobs in 41 years :)

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My new Ridgeline has adaptative cruise control, but I am much smoother than the machine when managing the cruise control and get better gas mileage.

16. Trunxgp1224

Tesla started installing their new V3 super chargers last week and unlocking some reserved potential in the V2 models. The new systems are rated at 250kw and someone with a Model 3 tested it out. The RWD model 3 has a rated range of 325 miles so each 10% is 32.5 miles. so from this one real world example we added the following mileage, and seeing as how most super chargers are 100-150 miles apart you'd be spending less than 15 minutes at each stop.

• 9% – 50% = 12 minutes (133.25 miles added) 11.1 miles per minute
    • 9% – 60% = 15 minutes ( 165.75 miles added) 11.05 mpm
    • 9% – 70% = 19 minutes ( 198.25 miles added) 10.43 mpm
    • 9% – 80% = 25 minutes (230.75 miles added) 9.23 mpm
    • 9% – 90% = 35 minutes ( 263.25 miles added) 7.52 mpm
    There are also some CCS style charges in Europe that are rated at 350kw, though I don't know of any cars currently on the market that can charge at that rate, the Porsche is the only one that comes to mind but Porsche's in house charging system is supposed to blow that away as well.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Assuming the charger is available...

That’s like saying “200 miles away there’s a single gas station...in good to go...”

And you get there to find 1970s gas shortage style line up for them...

18. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The Taycan is not on the market. Just sayin.

19. Trunxgp1224

I've traveled all across Texas, and all the way to Florida and GA and I've never had to wait. I've come close twice; once in Austin because retarded hippies would rather sit at a charger everyday rather than pay the $3 to charge at home. I've also had that issue at the North Houston location when but that's worsened because the chargers are at the Tesla service center and they'll leave some of the demo models plugged in.

Free supercharging was essentially killed off in 2017 so all of the cars now have to pay which will alleviate the issue over time. That coupled with the addition of more chargers will remove the concern. Tesla also implemented an idle fee for people who have completed charging but haven't moved the car. Basically the issue will eventually solve itself. I'm also not sure why a city like Austin only one one set of superchargers.

20. Trunxgp1224