1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High mileage electric bikes and cars coming soon

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Jul 13, 2014.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't give a flying shit. I'm not buying a hybrid, I'm not getting an electric car and I just don't care one bit about gas mileage.

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Scientists were saying something similar 100 years ago.

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

That article mentions the life span of the battery, not the amp hours or discharge rate. Still, it would be an improvement over the current batteries that last, oh wait... 200,000+ miles. :rolleyes:

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid::up:

You are pretty good with words too!:D

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

Only thing worse is hybrid or electric race cars.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

200k Mi when babied, using only about 10% of their raw capacity. Start actually allowing those batteries to draw down and charge fully and their lifespan takes a dive.

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

What I'm saying is that all of the other components on the hybrid vehicles will need replaced by the time the hybrid batteries do. I do it every day. The priuses are very reliable vehicles. In five years, we've diagnosed seven hybrids for battery replacement, all of which were over 100,000 miles at a shop which averages over 70 cars per day. Not a bad record if you ask me. Three of those seven were still warranted with no cost to the customer for the replacement.

I understand that the current crop of hybrid batteries can only be discharged and recharged to a fraction of their capacity, but at least in the Toyota world the vehicle itself keeps the battery in optimal condition very effectively.

I also get that when the battery technology advances that the all electric, plug in type vehicles will have a greater range due to the ability to discharge and recharge to more of the battery's capacity. That article doesn't really say that though.

9. In Your Corner

So, it's a breakthrough that means nothing when it comes to practical application.
    We will have the opportunity to scrap batteries with years of life left on them.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

IYC,

To me this says future cars can use a smaller battery with deeper cycles. This means lighter/smaller batteries for the same longevity (instead of the direction you took - greater longevity for the same size).

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Regardless of the range, they still take forever to charge.

12. In Your Corner

13. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Just what the environment needs. Millions more discarded batteries.

14. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I thought Stiletto had come out of lurking for a minute.

joec likes this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I will start giving a shit when they start delivering on these range claims and offer them at competitive prices.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I was thinking "he came back with THIS shit?"

17. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

No one is throwing these batteries in a landfill. Just like traditional car batteries it's pretty much a closed system and everything is reused and recycled.

What range claims are bad? They get the claimed range when driven in the claimed conditions. What's not competitive in pricing with the VW, Ford, Nissan, Chevy, or even the Tesla; especially when you factor in the fuel savings.

You don't sleep? My car is charged by the time I wake up, actually only takes a few hours. The house charger does about 30MPH of charge.

backbone likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

we are building fast chargers for HD right here in Greenville SC right now.

side note: Porsche announcing that their top seller Macan will be all electric in the next gen is also a bit of a hint ;)

19. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Porsche is talking about 400kw chargers, which even by fast charging standards is stupid fast. Tesla tops out at 120 right now with plans to bump to 135-150 in the next release of chargers.

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

A standardized battery exchange program is still going to be what's required to bring electric vehicles into the mainstream IMO. Pull into a station and swap put your battery packs for fully charged ones, and get back on your merry way. Ya you can still recharge them yourself at home, or at work, but IMO they all need to come at this from a different way. The ICE automobile didn't start gaining traction until gas stations started popping up all over the place. Same needs to be done with electric. Investment needs to be made into that infrastructure itself before the cars will be widely accepted by the masses. Field of dreams....If you build it, they will come

Think cordless tools.... the batteries aren't built in. Swap dead for full, and get back to work. Only they all need to work together so that Dewalt can use Makita batteries etc. The problem is the rate of engineering advancement is still too rapid to settle down and standardize on a form factor and technology.

Phl218 and backbone like this.