1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Lifetime warranty

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, May 13, 2012.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've bought HF stuff that has served me well and stuff that has NOT served me well. From my experience, if it's junk, I know it the first time I use it. I take it back and move on.

I've got some craftsman tools I need to shuttle to the sears store for replacement too.

2. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

Don't buy the crap at HF and expect it to last. Buy made in USA craftsman (what few that remain) and snap on. I buy a ton of stuff from HF, but I consider it disposable. Sometimes it surprises me by how reliable some of their tools are, but most of it is garbage.

3. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Okay, as my dad used to say, "don't wrestle with pigs, you get muddy, and the pig likes it."

In spite of that good advice, I will say this:

From Snap On, a single 1/2 combination end wrench, standard length, is $27.50.

From Sears, a single 1/2 inch combination end wrench, standard length, is $6.47.

From HF, a 9 piece SET of combination end wrenches, sizes 1/4-3/4, is $8.99.

You get what you pay for. And you cannot expect much more than that.

4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Certain tools are just better off spending money on. Ratchets for sure is a big one for me. I can tell a huge difference between and nice 80 tooth snap on and a 10 tooth whatchamacallit. Sockets and shit, eh, craftsman is pretty good stuff for those. Shit like impact sockets, those are a dime a dozen, no need to spend 350$ on those for snap on. Snap on flank drive is the shit though. I can round off a nut with an open end wrench of any brand and the snap on WILL not slip! Kinda like race bikes, some shit you just shouldnt skimp on.

6. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

So the Customer service dept call me back (finally).

This item has been discontinued (even though it is identical to the one in the link above, but has a different item #)

The say they can not replace them as they have been discontinued and substituting for a different item # is not allowed.

They will give me a refund, IF I PAY to ship the tools back to them in Cali from AL. No, swapping at the local store is not an option for them.

THAT is the lifetime warranty. You PAY to ship and NO you can't do a swap at the local store.

Bull shit. Mounds of it

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Go buy a set of the"identical" ones, and just return the broken ones with that reciept.

8. ride4lame

ride4lame Well-Known Member

That's a bummer but I'd bet shipping is the same cost as another set of whatever you broke.

Harborfreight is good for shit you use once in a blue moon. I got a $20 finishing nail gun that works just fine. It was cheaper to buy that it was to pay in gas to borrow one from a friend.

Their 'pittsburgh' brand impact sockets seem to do pretty well too.

Ratchets breaking generally equals me smashing my hand into something. I'll pay a little more to avoid that.

9. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

This.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not your typical Snap-On guy. Most of them will meet and warranty.

The reversible pliers are one of Snap-On's most suckiest tools. I gave up on them and bought Milbar. And - technically, the rep DOES have to replace those tools, customer or not. You just have a crappy rep who is lazy and a bad businessman.

What this guy said. If you're near me, I have an amazing Snap-On rep who will get me tools from a competitor if necessary. Mind you, I have $250K of hand tools and toolboxes in the shop. But use your head - if you can't get satisfaction from corporate, go to a dealer with some techs and ask if they'll warranty the tool for you.

11. Thors Hammer

Thors Hammer Well-Known Member

Thats my experience as well. I just call my Snap On guy and he tells me where he is at on his route. Then I go meet him.

I have even driven to his house several times to get tools and pick up my new tool box from him.

I have bought a load of shit from him since 1999 and only have had to warranty 1 allen socket driver.

Attached Files:

12. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

That is the new plan. I tried to be nice, now screw em

13. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I just bought a 7 piece plier set at HF today. $9.99 with a coupon. I don't expect them to last a lifetime and if they break I'll toss em in the garbage. I wouldn't have gone through any of that for sixteen bucks but to each their own.

14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

And they expect that. It is a matter of principle not money.

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I hear ya. I'm just lazy. :D

16. crazywolf450r

You have burned up way more than 16$ worth of time fretting over this... imho

17. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

So I said this up a ways. My very limited frame of reference here is the racetrack toolbox. There are no tool trucks at the racetrack and no Harbor Freight either, the extremes of price and quality don't work there. But there is a Sears within a 20 or 30 minute drive of every track I go to (Willow, Road America, Barber, Daytona, etc.) and the quality is generally good enough to rely on. And they exchange everything, without question. For me, that's the KISS principle in action (keep it simple, stupid). Funny enough, I use HF safety wire pliers because the quality is good enough and the price is rock bottom..

18. mb4lunch

mb4lunch Expert#40 SouthEast

I just returned an air compressor with no receipt or box. They just made me purchase an extended warranty and gave me the new compressor free. So....less than 20 bux and I'm shooting trim nails again. The first one lasted me a year and paid for itself many times.

19. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

As I said, its not about $$.

Sometimes ya just have to stick it to tha man...:D

You know I have a ton of tools and can afford a lot more.

BTW, are you done with my saw? I have a job in a few weeks that I will need it.

20. crazywolf450r

Haven't had time to finish the trailer but I can get it back to you whenever you need.