1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Lifetime warranty

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, May 13, 2012.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

On their hand tools is a complete crock of shit. That is of, course, you saved you receipt from 6 years ago.
    I went into the local HF trying to swap some T handle Allen wrenches. The plastic handles had cracked on a few and actually broken off one. And despite, several signs in the store, on the packages, and even on my tools themselves that say "lifetime warranty" , They refused to do anything without a receipt. What a load of Bullshit.

They could not produce this requirement any place in their policies at the store and the only thing that the online website says is to call a phone #.

It sure as hell is not as easy as dealing with any other tool that I have with a lifetime warranty.

2. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

I'm surprised you got 6 years out of them.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I expect no less from them, they bank on us not keeping the receipts I'd bet.

I may pay a mint for snap on but then again I can break a tool in a vice right in front of him and get it warrantied too so....

4. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem doing a warranty exchange at HF. I've swapped a few sockets and a ratchet. They pull one off the shelf and ring it as a warranty claim.

John

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm suprised there is more than a hours worth of warranty on their shit. Only purchase from HF something you only need to get one use out of.

6. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

They will give me another set.

I keep a set in my toyhauler for track duty, it is time it was swapped out for new ones.

[​IMG]

I have calls into corprate and the district manager. Some one will get an ear full

7. hazexban

hazexban Slow Poke

I bought some tools the other day and i guess they have a new computer system. They told me my lifetime warranties would be stored in their database by phone number and that I didn't need a receipt. We'll see if they are full of crap.

8. casacrow

casacrow Member

In Canada we have a similar store called Princess Auto. They store receipt information by phone number. It's awsome. Never had an issue with warranty or returns.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

For all you cheapskate guys buying chinese bullshit at Harbor Freight......

I hope you have nothing but problems with tool warranty issues.

Harbor Freight is exactly what America isn't. Junk, cheap, fast, shit.

10. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Would you prefer we buy the "chinese bullshit" from Sears, Home Depot or Lowes???

I've got tons of tools from HF that have been every bit as good as the stuff I've bought from Craftsman even when most of it was still made here in America.

11. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

LOL HF tools... you have to be kidding me anyone could be pissed they fail LOL.

12. hazexban

hazexban Slow Poke

I have no problem with HF, been using the same HF floor jack for like 25 years. That being said my main tools are all craftsman and a couple snap on torque wrenches. The HF tools i bought are for a mini toolkit for the wifes car.

13. lazlo

lazlo Stand up guy who corners low.

"Princess Auto"?????

Do they have a drop box at the front door to collect your man card?

14. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Its not warranty related but I bought a 3 set of vise grips from HF once. I grabbed ahold of a rounded off bolt head with them to see if I could get it out. I gave it a twist and the vise grips just slide around the bolt and the bolt wouldn't move. I tighted them up and tryed agian with the same result. When I loosened it up a bunch of metal shavings fell out, I figured it was the bolt head. The metal shavings ended up being the teeth of the vise grips and not the bolt head.....nice. It wasn't a hardened bolt either.

15. ToKwik

ToKwik Well-Known Member

As a general rule of thumb, always get the best you can afford for your hand tools. Sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. I prefer Snap-On or Mac.

These are the tools that take the most abuse on a regular basis, and these are also the tools you depend on the most. Since you are paying so much up front, I have never had a problem with replacement.

If you want to save money on that oddball tool at a warehouse store, that's fine. But you get what you pay for. I purchase many tools at HF, Northern, etc. and consider them as disposable at the time of purchase. They are cheap for a reason. There really is a difference between a $25 set of sockets and a $250 one.

Hope it goes well with your warranty. My 2cents is to purchase your regular hand tools from a more reliable source.

:beer:

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I agree HF stuff is cheap.

My regular tools in the garage are craftsman, snap-on etc.

I don't plan on motor builds at the track. I just keep stuff like this in the toy hauler for wheel swaps, loan outs. etc.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How much did the T handles cost you back in the day?

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's Harbor Freight...salvage form sunken ships. :down:

19. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I laugh. Last week I exchanged a Craftsman 3/8" universal that I bought sophomore year in high school: 1974.

20. tito

tito Well-Known Member

so I should buy that $150 tool from snap on that I only use once or twice a year instead of paying $20 at HF? and the HF tool does the job just fine???? I am sorry but my money is better spent else where like on my family or more tools.