1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, May 19, 2020.

1. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Only one set for me, I also have their aluminum lightweight stands I use for small stuff. My other stands are from NAPA.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

i remember a local story about someone getting crushed in their driveway but dont remember all the details in the past couple years. I try not to be under something just on jackstands. Ive never bought any but my old neighbor gave me a 1/2 dozen. Ill have to check if they are china freight.

3. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

You had one job

SuddenBraking likes this.
  4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If you're under your car with no jack, blocks or second set of jack stands as back up, you need your head checked anyway.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And with it cracked open between the frame and the floor, the contents should be easy to examine

cpettit and cav115 like this.
  6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Seriously? You lay under a car or truck, and you`re bargain shopping? :crackup:

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haven't checked mine but they're for sure older than what they are recalling by a decade or more :D

R Acree likes this.
  8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

My Cobra project is sitting on two sets of HF stands. Probably ones under the recall since I bough them last year. Under no circumstances I am crawling under an object capable of crushing me dead without a backup item in place. So I think I am good with HF ones.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sad thing is I cannot remember when I bought them, I just know it was well before we moved across the river in 2013. Mine are only 2 ton and I've aged out of crawling under vehicles anyway.

10. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Returned my set, they gave me a gift card for $21.29 - all the jack stands on the shelf had been removed.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

did anyone read what exactly the failure is?

i've got one car sitting on 2 HFT and 2 auto parts store ones... time to switch to 2x10's foot longs

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

"potential to disengage their support pawl under shifting weight" - what exactly is "shifting weight"? A car shifting itself on stands can fall - holly shit.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

As to the failure, it sounds like the issue is if the vehicle weight shifts, so if it is stable it is probably fine. So make sure no one comes out and leans on the car while you are under it, which should be normal procedure anyway.

Phl218 and Pixelator like this.
  14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

And do any bolt loosening/tightening while it's on the ground whenever possible (again SOP). I also make sure that my stands are "equally weighted" by placing them in the same location side to side and counting how many teeth are showing. I really don't feel good crawling under an uneven load regardless of safety measures because the laws of nature are pretty rigid when it comes to gravity.

Pixelator likes this.
  15. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

Check the #'s on your stands... Screenshot_20200520-192035.png

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of aging tools here as well. :D

969 and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  17. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

I bought some 3 ton stands about 2 months ago and they are a different #...I haven't used them yet and don't know if I feel good or bad that the #'s are different

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Hmm...and I just got the 6 ton stands last fall to do tire rotations with.

19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Pit Bull to the white courtesy phone please...

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Article says manufacturing flaw due to aging tooling at the factory.