1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, May 19, 2020.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

SpeedyE, code3ryder and bleacht like this.
  2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that, I'm sure I have at least one set, maybe two....:eek:

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Shocker!

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they are at least as good as using a bunch of cinder blocks. :D

Pixelator and OldSwartout like this.
  5. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Damn, those are what you use as the Harbor Freight jack looses pressure!!

6. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Well, I have 2 sets of 3-ton stands I've been using since 2012. That's kind of scary.

7. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

What is funny is the set I have are identical to the craftsman set I have had for 15 years, down to the depth of the teeth on adjustable section.

beechkingd likes this.
  8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I have to look, but I think I have a pair of those I bought quite some time ago.

9. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

got the email today. i've got 2 sets of 3ton and 1 of 6ton. They say they're giving full retail back so we'll see.

Anyone have a reasonbly priced alternative for a 6tons?

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just checked mine...not HF and I think I've had them far longer than the recall mentioned. Yay for me.

11. evomach

evomach Well-Known Member

Amazon has the Pro-Lifts for $45 or the Big Red Torin for $60. Both have the 2nd safety pin you can push through to protect against them dropping. Advance Auto has a couple around $70 but 25%off codes are always available. I don't think they have the safety pin.

code3ryder likes this.
  12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

For what it's worth, the print at the bottom of the link said:

NemesisR6 likes this.
  13. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Any ideas how it disengages? I'm wondering if the shift causes the rod to go a bit off centre due to sloppy fit, and it then slips out of engagement with the ratchet, or snaps in half? The ratchet bar material, fit and finish on ratchet stands has never looked that great on the ones I've seen or used.

14. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Damn! I lifted my 18ft boat off the trailer and left it on HF 3ton stands for about a week. I guess I got lucky.

15. ChrisS819

ChrisS819 Member

I have 2 sets of the 6 ton stands that I have to return today. I’ve had them for about 4 years without any problems but not going to take a chance and keep using them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I have a set of 3 ton Craftsman that look the same but they're 20 plus years old so I think I'm good.

lopitt85 likes this.
  17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

“Harbor Freight urges anybody in possession of affected jack stands to return them to the store in exchange for a gift card equal to the price of the stands.”

Exactly $4.00 then?

18. sdg

sdg *

I'm gonna say... I've long thought those things are very optimisticly rated. Note it does say shifting load.

I assume since actual recall there have been fatalities. My condolences to any involved.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My 3 ton stands are so old there no labels, I don't think they are HF as they predate when HF was around. I do, however, have a set of the 6 ton stands. I was just under the truck yesterday using these :eek:. China strikes again!

20. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Is it purely a manufacturing flaw, or a design flaw? Like others, I have the very similar Craftsman 3 ton ones. I thought I was doing myself a favor when I bought these to replace some of my ancient stamped-steel ones. I wonder if the Craftsman ones are made by the same manufacturer overseas and could suffer from the same problem (if it is a manufacturing flaw rather than design).