1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, May 19, 2020.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Jack stands of any kind bother me. So, I built cribbing stands, aka cribbing boxes. Load is under each wheel, and they’re not moving if the car is bumped.

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

A pair of 6 tons is 400. Gadzooks

cav115 likes this.
  3. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

HF isn't the only one with issues with jack stands. I have some bought years ago from an unknown manufacturer. One half of the V at the top broke off one of them. I'm guilty of working under a vehicle only supported by jack stands. Scary, now.
    I've also had an engine stand separate at the weld between the engine mounting plate and support tube and drop a 350 Chevy engine at my feet (luckily, not on them).

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

an avid car guy once told me... if you dont have a 4 post lift, youre not an enthusiast.
    I guess its like having pitbull stands for your bike(s)

5. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I took my stands back the other day. They just gave me a refund back to my credit card. I don’t remember what I originally paid, but I am pretty sure it was less than the $42 they refunded. There were two other sets sitting on the counter from other returns.

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Found the problem

Attached Files:

7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I know...but it`s like your helmet, right?? lol

You`ll never wonder again.

8. code3ryder

A lift is on my shopping list. 12 foot ceilings :D

cav115 likes this.
  9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

10. joec

joec brace yourself

My neighbor at the shop does autobody work. He had the printed notice stick to the wall over his pile of jackstands. Of course they're all cheapo junk that looks all the same, covered in over spray etc.. So he has no idea which ones are which. So hes just opted to forget about it and move on.

11. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Shervin?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, I kind of like that idea if your jack isn't high enough :D

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Looking at the vehicle, I am guessing it has sufficient ground clearance for his head and the creeper. That won't potentially stop him from getting a good whack on the head, but he at least won't be crushed to death.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Just added another one.
    3 ton: sku 56373

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's not just another one, it was the replacement from the replacement.

So trade in your bad stand for a new bad stand.

~sent from Earth Station

R1M370 and t11ravis like this.
  18. code3ryder

Does anyone own the QuickJack system and use it with a truck or full size SUV?

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have a QuickJack but mainly for the car, and it's been the best thing I've probably ever bought. Makes wrenching so much easier.

Got the 5k lb one from Costco and it's been easier overall to get all 4 wheels up, and can move it out the way when not in use. Just for swapping tires it's worth it. But I used it for my entire build.

Also very sturdy and has 2 heights: gets high enough to do most jobs or just high enough to remove wheels easily. Car easily sat on the thing for 3 straight weeks. And great to move up and down when needed, unlike if you were on jack stands.

For SUV use, probably need the truck/SUV adapter's though.

Highly recommend!

~sent from Earth Station

code3ryder likes this.