1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSX-R 1000 L7 first riding impressions

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I think the biggest problem is the 750 and the 600 share platforms. It'll be a marketing push more than a real update.

2. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

If they don't give it imu,sr-vvt and all of the other updates of the 1000 , they better let it RIP

3. Yep.

I'm sure (like Yamaha), they will start rumors, put out a few bullshit teaser videos, and create a bunch of hype and headlines about "the all new 750".........then give us something that is just one step above BNGs.

Bruce likes this.
  4. Agreed, but they won't. Suzuki loves the 750. They essentially own that entire "super-mid" market (aside from the Panigale 959 and MVF3 800).

So I doubt they will let it go. People love it and they sell a ton of them. But at the same time, there is no real reason/incentive to put the effort, money, R&D etc into giving us an all-new kickass 750.

Just make the bodywork match the 1k, throw out some great marketing ploys, release a few teaser videos, and the street guys will be all over them.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

another little comparo. at least this time it's at a proper track

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If they kill the 600 I could see them doing something like the Fz-8, basically a 1k with a little smaller engine.

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Do you mean FZ-09 ?

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, before that Yamaha sold a bike that was exactly the same as the fz1 but had a sleeved down engine and maybe lower spec suspension and brakes. I think kawi does something similar with the z1000. And for the most part, that's what the baby panigale is too. I'm pretty sure it's the same "frame" as the big bike, also same bodywork, just a smaller engine and different swingarm.

9. 899/959/1199/1299 all use the same exact monocoque the only difference being the 1199 R uses different steering head bearings for different rake. But the monocoque is the same part number across all years.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Is the 899/959 a sleeved version of the same motor as the 1299?

And why does Aristotle turn every thread into an ad for his precious Pizza Bike lol?

11. Unfortunately no, there are far too many differences between the engines and bikes in general. Inlet shims, cylinders, crank, pistons, rods, bearings, case covers, etc. Plus the 899/959 has the normal swing arm and it's shorter than the 1199/1299 SSA. The Subframe is heavier and tubular on the 899/959. The tank is steel on the 899/959. Clusters are different too. It's just literally a cheaper version of the 1199/1299 but thats not to bag on the 899/959 because they are good bikes and far easier to ride than the 1199/1299.

And he can't help it he's like a kid on x-mas.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

One other thing that changed with Suzuki is the 750 used to be the development bike and when it was completed its platform was the basis for the 600 being produced. Now its been reversed. The 600 has become the development bike and now its platform is used to produce the 750. As long as this remains, I wouldn't anticipate a ground breaking 750.

13. Yep, Kawi has the Z800, but I don't know if it is available in the US or not.

That is sorta true for the miniGale, but not completely. It has the same "frame", but the engine isn't just smaller, it is lower spec. Of course it also has the standard swingarm (cost savings). I am pretty sure the gas tank is different also, along with the subframe. For those reasons the 959 weighs about the same if not more than the 1299, even though the motor is smaller.

It also doesn't have the IMU based electronics, and has different calipers. They wanted to make a "Panigale on a budget".

I would be ok with Suzuki doing that with the 750. Rather than throwing New bodywork on the old 750, give us an all-new 750 based on the 1k, but put lower spec suspension and no IMU on it. I'd be happy with that.

The suspension gets changed for racing anyway, and I'm not too concerned with the electronics on a 750. But I want the new motor, and want the bike to be lighter and more compact.

I've always loved the 750 and thought it was the perfect bike. But like the 600, Suzuki essentially hasn't done shit with them since 2006. If they come out with an all-new 750 based on the new 1k, I would have some serious thinking to do.

14. WTF? I wasn't even the one who brought up the Ducati. :moon:

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Hayden just got done doing Suzuki commercial. He says the bike is pretty damn good. He rode two days on the same tire. TC works.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The bike is already winning races fresh out of the gate in Superstock.

17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Did he get the R or RR model? Hell the race model?

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Those pirate (arrr!) models aren't over here until June, apparently.

19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Dang. Well it doesn't really matter you make the all go fast.

20. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Rutter says :D

Attached Files: