1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Small world- I'll post the naked photos of that build that were on the forums awhile back.

2. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

00T0T_knFThteMrU5_600x450.jpg

00G0G_gBBxy7r3f5G_600x450.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

No idea if this was done on a frame jig and if the bike is straight.
    I'm doing something similar to mine but with a 300 swap.

4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I thought you could 250/300 swap them with a bolt in bracket, why are you cutting the frame?

5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The above mentioned (and pictured) bike has both the frame cut and the Chimera engine mounting kit.
    The issue is that the throttle body can't be in it's oem position and gets relocated without cutting and modifying the Grom frame.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Could you send me a link to the build thread if you don't mind?

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

Yeah, watched that video a couple of times - I thought Masshole was saying that he recognized the exact grom swap I posted for sale on the previous page so I was curious if that owner did it correctly (I could've misunderstood what he was saying, though).

Regardless, I've decided I'm going to get rid of my 250 and build my own Grom swap but use a 300 vs a 250 :D

9. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

ARacer is a very popular and effective tuning solution in the Grom world. If one isn't just getting an ECU reflash, ARacer is widely agreed upon as the best tuner from my frequenting of the Grom forums.

I put a TB Parts cam, Chimera intake, and got a ECU reflash from CJR on my Grom two weekends ago. On the CJR dyno, that's good for a bump from about 8 hp at the wheel up to 12.5, so a huge percentage difference in horsepower, although admittedly it shifts the mystical power bands way to the right. So it's noticeably weaker below 5000 RPMs now, but then it takes off in a rush about 6000. "Rush" is comparatively anyway, it's still a Grom. But relatively cheap mods, about $350 in total parts, to get over 50% hp increase.

10. SuddenBraking

What suspension are bigger gents using for the grom? I'm looking at Ohlins but not sure the 6.0 springs in the front are gonna be enough (my fat ass is about 240 with gear at this point in time, but I'm working on reducing that number). Does Ohlins offer 6.5 springs in the front?

11. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I think it's only 5.5 and 6.0 available. The 6.0 is decent for me at 175lbs, but man, 240, it would be better than stock at least. You're probably better off with the racetech stuff, they offer more spring choices I think.

The good news is that the Grom frame has the metal stability of a wet noodle and will start to act like a stiff spring when you bottom the forks.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'm 245 before breakfast let alone with any gear on.

Dunlop TT93 tires front and rear, and the Ohlins are just tremendous changes on the Grom. I have a 17.

I have the heavier springs front and rear on mine, and the front doesn't dive like the Red October on the brakes after the upgrade.

Totally worth it.

13. :stupid:

Ohlins front and rear on mine. Made a world of difference (I'm 220lbs without gear).

The stock shit is for tinkerbells.

14. SuddenBraking

Yeah, wasn't planning on stock - was either going to go Ohlins or use the Racing Bros and/or Racetech setups (as Kman said above, they've got more options for the beefcakes of the world). It's also going to be significantly heavier than a stock grom anyhow because it's got a bigger engine in it so add in whatever the delta is between the weight of the air cooled grom engine and the CB300 engine to my 240 pounds and you're probably getting close to 300 bills.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. That CB300 engine weighs 29,940lbs?

:D

16. SuddenBraking

Lol, mea culpa.

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

That’s because this Mini-bike wasn’t designed for you beefy fuckers, it’s a kids bike. :D

18. SuddenBraking

Got my Grom delivered Sunday. Have Ohlins front/back on the way and was going to upgrade the brakes to some brand called "FEIGN" (seems they're better than the Brembo offering for the Grom per the Grom underworld) but my 2018 is an ABS model which would need a custom mounting bracket :rolleyes:

Fucking annoying........anyhow, took it out yesterday (no, those zip ties are not the permanent license plate holder :p) using one of my old plates. Got it up to 78 into a stiff headwind - pretty sure it'll easily get into the mid/high 80s with no headwind. There's two main things to fix - need to get an Aracer ECU on it to control the fueling a bit better, and there's some prototype throttle body couplers that people have been playing with on FB to get a smoother response.

Anyhow, here's some pics - was getting some looks as my 6'3/245 pound self was passing sports cars doing a top speed run :crackup:

Attached Files:

masshole likes this.
  19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That color and config looks like a steroid morph on an old QA-50. @rd400racer...you in there?

[​IMG]

rd400racer likes this.
  20. To be like Shervin :)