1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going overboard as a dad???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Feb 26, 2018.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

When’s the age a kid should start setting goals? Or getting into a fitness routine? Is there a minimum age?

People bemoan parents who let their kids glue themselves to iPads or PlayStations, and laugh at the ones who get their kids into fitness at a young age. Either way, I’m screwed as a dad.

It’d be ok if I had him learning how to take his dirt bike apart and rebuild it from the frame up because those life lessons he’ll keep forever. But learning how to be healthy and active, and how to overcome different obstacles and to not be a sedentary slob like his old man is laughable?

No 5 year plan, no prominent university picked out, but he’s a stand-up dude who hopefully some day will corner low.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  2. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave! You’re alright, even if midgets DO scare me.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't offend me. I see it damn near every day. :)

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

If anything, put pressure on him to be the next moto gp Amaerican like Nicky!!!!!!!

pjzocc likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I bemoaned some of my choices earlier in this thread and questioned if in the long run we basically just wasted our time. Well, my now 26 year old son that gave up hockey after his last college game has moved to Lancaster, PA and is now the goalie coach at some rink as a spare time gig. He said it's his turn to give back from what gave him so much.

So yeah, in the long run it has been worth it all if he has that kind of mindset. I think the kid will do alright in life:D

BigBird, Dan Dubeau and pjzocc like this.
  6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

And not offended Mark. If I was worried about that I’d never have posed the question. I always second guess the dad choices I make with my crew as I want them to be better humans than I am.

So far, they are.

BigBird and rk97 like this.
  7. Captain Morgan

this is all just fun talk, I''m sure you all are great dads/parents, just another night drinking whiskey in India, flying to Nepal in the morning. At least they don't have middle aged women with so sense of humor

pjzocc likes this.
  8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

[Insert I'm with stupid smiley here]

pjzocc likes this.
  9. Captain Morgan

can't miss another flight, LOL

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Kids are hard. Fine line btwn pushing them too hard and letting them quit and regret it later.

My former coworker played hockey through college, and established residency in Ireland during law school to play for their national team.

She quit her job as an attorney a couple of years ago and coaches hockey at her almamater. More money. Less stress. Hired her brother as an assistant coach. She teaches 2 classes in the off-season, but only works normal hours a couple of days a week, because they credit her vacation time for all the weekend tournaments.

You never know where your childhood activities will take you. I’m dangerously close to coaching a herd of 5 yr old girls who may or may not have interest in a soccer ball.

PJ - keep your kid away from the Duc. Can’t have him putting stones in the exhaust of that bike, too.

pjzocc and rd400racer like this.
  11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Hahahaha!!! I’d forgotten about that! Boomer knows better now. He even asks before he goes to that side of the garage!

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

While that is an excellent point, what I said was a bit tongue in cheek as you don't chop anything in Judo lol

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  13. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Dude, you HAVE to watch that Brad Williams vid Dave posted in the YouTube thread! Especially the last few minutes with the John Stamos story.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who had fitness goals... In the US. Just like competitive athletes worldwide...

pjzocc likes this.
  15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Dude, I'm literally lost on here lately in regards to what's said tongue in cheek and what someone is trying to pass off as sound advice or even hard criticism. Two people could say the exact same thing and one is dead ass serious and one meant it as a joke. My bad.

Like, was it purely a coincidence that Mark spelled college "collage" when he was obviously mocking the institution, or was that an intentional joke that was so funny that not even he got it?

badmoon692008 and pjzocc like this.
  16. Captain Morgan

It was not a joke, LOL, I just went to Culinary school, they don't teach you spelling or proper grammar there. But smart enough to manage 4 months vacation a year for the last 10 years. Flying to Nepal this morning

17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Yesterday, Joe wrapped his new belt around his waist. He hasn’t stopped smiling!

I’m a proud pops!!

Attached Files:

72westie and Clay like this.
  18. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Fast forward 4 years. The Boy is 14 now and is a 2nd degree blackbelt, an instructor at the dojo, and is training for his first fight. Much like kickboxing, or MMA without the ground engagement. He's working out with a trainer (mine) and he and I have been hitting the gym since May pretty legit. He's matched up for card on October 15th. Boomer is 14 now, 5'8" and 145# this morning. Needs to lean out about 4 more pounds to get to fighting weight. He's been working with different fighters/students of various levels, and has gotten some great instruction from title belt holders. He hits like a grown ass man with some serious power. His opponent is 15, has 3 fights under his belt, but is giving up 20 pounds in exchange for the gap in experience.

If anyone is in the 'Cuse come out and see the fights!

Just wanted to share.

5A347A68-B559-465B-A235-13FFEC5434F6.jpeg

Triple X, gixer1100, JBraun and 7 others like this.
  19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Good luck to the boy!

YamahaRick and pjzocc like this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Fierce! :up:

pjzocc likes this.