1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going overboard as a dad???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Feb 26, 2018.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

The Boy is in cycle for his black belt. Essentially it’s 4+ months of intensive training, classes, matt work, sparring, katas, conditioning and cardio. Among the many requirements is a timed 2 mile run, which The Boy most complete in under 16 minutes.

Now, he has been running for over 2 years, 3-4 times a week, average 12-15 miles a week. Dude is in great shape, but he’s not the most coordinated of fellows, nor is he naturally athletic. He’s big. Not fat, but SOLID. He just cannot get his run time down. He’s been around 19:45-20:15 for like a year. He just can’t figure out how to pace himself, and how to break through mental barriers. I KNOW he can make the time, he just can’t figure it out on his own.

Now, the dojo has coordinated runs with run “coaches”. Nice people, all runners, but none are professional trainers that can help Boomer out with his stride, or his mindset, or troubleshoot his form, etc. And, since graduation is May 24th, we are getting down to crunch time with his run.

This is his 2nd time going through cycle. He was cut last summer, which is fine. I’m okay with The Boy experiencing disappointment and bouncing back from failure. But this cycle, dude is ON POINT. His sparring has dramatically improved, katas, floor work, everything is so much cleaner than last cycle... but dude can not get his run time down.

I’ve hired him a professional athletic trainer. He’s trained NHL, MLB, Div.I athletes all over the state. Told the guy up front: gotta shave 4 minutes of his 2 mile time and you got 3 months. He said “we’ll get him there”. He’s got the boy doing resistance training, weight training, bands, cardio, strength... The Boy is busting his ASS to get to his goal.

Boomer is 9.

I sat and thought about it for a few minutes after I transferred $$$ to pay the trainer...

Have I gone TOO FAR as a dad?

I want to give The Boy the support and the resources to achieve his goals, whatever they may be. But...

Boomer is 9.

Am I nuts???

hashtag probably

What’s the most overboard you’ve done for your kid?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

All I can say is that I read the first two thirds of your post with the mental image of a 16-17 year old boy. I had to read “Boomer is 9” a couple of times before it sunk in.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, you're on f@$kin' point. :cool:

Most overboard? Not even close to being overboard at all. She wants to do it, can earn it with grades and work and I'll drive her and pay for the tournaments.

cgordon3 and pjzocc like this.
  4. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Yes. You are nuts. Let the kid live a kids life.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You best give him what he wants or little Bruce Lee is goan fuck you up! :D

969, YamahaRick, backbone and 6 others like this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You’ve got a point! Boomer’s gonna kick his dad’s ass!

7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I was figuring you’d chime in as such. Thanks.

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I'm not a dad... and 9 is young for what i'm about to say, but when i was fight training real hard, a way my running improved was i'd go out with 8-10 dudes, jog in a tight line, and the rear dude would have to sprint to the front, continuously rotating position, while the whole group kept up its jog pace for like 4-5 miles. You wanna kill yourself during, but it had a noticable affect. I was always an explosive fast sprinter as a kid, but never had distance until i forced myself while fighting, then learned to actually like going for jogs. We were like 17-21ish though...

When i taught little kids, we didn't even really start getting into the hardcore training with them until maybe 10 or 11. Occassionally a 9 year old would just be a cold beast, but little ones, like 6-9... mostly still emphasized good technique and enjoying themselves over pushing their limits. If he wants it bad enough, the trainer will help. If he doesn't, it could sour him. Only you know your kid though, only one way to find out.

Phl218, RichB and pjzocc like this.
  9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

To clarify, Boom has been part of the decision making process. Dude LOVES karate. When we discussed it after our initial meeting with the trainer, we asked him “If you have to pay for half from your savings, would you still want to do this?”.

No hesitation “Yeah Dad. I want my black belt.”

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That's fantastic!

Kid has goals. Kid is willing to sacrifice and work for them.

Clone him. :D

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One thing, every so often I'd give Boomer an out. If he's not loving it and only going through the motions then you might want to let him step away. But if he WANTS it make him work for it through grades, helping around the house and keeps his shit straight (keeps his ego in check) you support him. :)

VFR#52, Boman Forklift and pjzocc like this.
  12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

We call them “Indian sprints”. Yup, we are familiar.

Yes he wants it bad enough.

lopitt85 and VFR#52 like this.
  13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

2mi in 20min is pretty fast for a thick 9yr old

at first I thought u were nuts, but then I realized how much time 2min per miles is. thats effectively the difference between a jog and a sprint for a lot of people.

tophyr and Ducti89 like this.
  14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

As long as he was in the decision and isn't being pushed against his will then it still sounds extreme.

15. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

We were ALMOST there about 2 years ago, and gave him a couple weeks off. He asked to go back. And he’s great in school.

Prominent elementary school and errrythang.
    I’ll download his report cards later

:)

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

HIIT/Tabata training (otherwise known as intervals):
    https://www.active.com/running/arti...d-my-running?cmp=17N-PB164-S31-T9-D1-43151-57

I have been instructed to do this so I can get to a 6:00 mile. I'm at 6:10 over 15k/10 miles (okay, I was there a year ago, but I'll be back...), but I want to break 6:00 flat. Intervals are supposed to be the ticket. Surprisingly, it sounds very similar to the "Indian Sprints" from above. Get a stop watch (or a training watch with the feature), and go to it.

Another interval training that was suggested to me was sprint 100 yards/meters, walk for 10 seconds, then sprint for another 100. Do this at a track or on a straight section of road. If on the road, pick light poles, and sprint/walk alternate on the same pattern as the Tabata linked above.

pjzocc likes this.
  17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thank you for that!

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If B-Zocc has the desire and drive to achieve such a lofty goal at such a young age, go for it. Sounds like he's a good kid. It's a worthwhile investment.

pjzocc likes this.
  19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I Have an 11 year old. That is impressive at 9. Every parent is different. I will support whatever my son wants to do. He is not athletic. He has two left feet. Big for his age. 5'2" and size 9.5 shoe. He is going to be big. I make him play a sport. Anything he chooses but he has to participate. He chose swim. Put him through all the camps and training centers. Swim is fine.

All I will say, was your first paragraph was describing a young man (16+). For you to be asking the question to the beeb, its already in your mind that you may be over the top with it. If he came to you, and said "I want to learn Karate, and help me be the best" then you are absolutely doing the right thing.

However, if Karate is already a part of your life, and you want your son to follow in your footsteps it may be too much too soon. He is nine. At this pace he will get burnt out on it before he blossoms into puberty. Just make sure you are setting realistic expectations for his age. He already has an impressive resume. If he sticks with it, he will be special.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

He is a good kid, D. Gets it from his momma.