1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going overboard as a dad???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When my kid did taekwondoodoo it was a profit center for them and a bunch of hooey. She was too young and I feel it was just short of a scam.

Now that she is older and could get something out of it I'd be all for her giving it a go again if she wanted to.

BigBird likes this.
  2. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

It's impressive that your son has that drive at 9. I say gauge your intensity on his. Sometimes kids need a little push to get/keep going. But some parents take it waaaayyy to far. Sounds like you are conscientious of all that and handling it well. If things continue to go well he will have learned a TON of self-discipline and seen how hard work pays off. Absolutely priceless.

Our son is 10, and I would say built just like you describe your son. Not fat by any means, but solid (110 lb). We've exposed him to soccer, baseball, basketball. He loves bikes and has a Honda 50 and just working up to a TTR125.

Last year I noticed in baseball that it takes him FOREVER to get to first base when he hits. Same problem with basketball. I tell my wife it's like watching a loaded dump truck get moving. So I've been working with him on some quickness drills, ladder sprints, etc. I can tell when he is getting pushed too far, and generally he lacks the intensity to push much more. I don't expect him to be a star or anything, but would like to see some quickness and have him appreciate how some hard work can pay off. He's grown up with three older sisters, so some of that has definitely rubbed off on him and I need to "rough" things up a little now & then.

He wants to try tackle football next fall. Rules state a kid can't run the ball if they are 100 lb or more, so he'll be on the line or whatever. But we'll see how he handles that with the coaches pushing & a higher level of intensity than the other sports he's used to.

pjzocc and BigBird like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

we tried jujitsu for the kids when they were 5, and I felt the same way. It was mostly kids teaching kids, and the schools all want you to sign like multi-year contracts for a 5 year old. I'm like nope. my kids also were "meh" on the whole thing anyway.

4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Ah... hockey. Yeah, I’ve got a couple buddies who have kids in hockey programs, and in lax programs year round. It’s really mind boggling the time and finance commitment to those type of programs.

I understand where you’re coming from, as far as “lost time”. We have postponed weekend trips, vacations, etc. due to karate - and the other sports the kids have done. But they don’t bitch or complain, and everything they do is their choice - but they have to do SOMETHING. They will not be slugs.

I’m hoping that by giving the kids these opportunities to learn, push themselves, set goals, fail, succeed, that they will be better humans because of it. My hope is that my son grows to be a better man than his father, and I’m fairly certain he will.

My goal for my daughter is simply to keep her off the stripper pole.

borislav and rd400racer like this.
  5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Yes... and no. At least, at our dojo.

Beginner belts, yeah probably.

Intermediate belts... ehhhh.

Advanced belts... nope.

He has to know and perform the same katas as adults, perform with same weapons as adults, and the physical demands (the run time, 350 push-ups per week, 500 abs and 1,000 wall kicks per week) are the same for everyone. Candidate class is the whole team side by side, and expectations are the same. (sparring is the exception though he will fight adults, they just have to dial it down a bit)

borislav and Phl218 like this.
  6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Mine both do jitsu as well. It’s a bit more relaxed but they have fun with it because it’s so much different than the kempo/krav style.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was going to say it wasn't all that much time and financial commitment but then I looked at the options and offers to play my kid has this year. There's spring rec which leads into summer tournaments with her travel team which leads into her being invited to play summer ball with the high school and her indoor league. She gets a week off then it's try outs for 2019 travel, fall tournaments and some local 4 v 4 that her former coach is putting a team together which leads into winter indoor. :D

Throw in volleyball and fall field hockey. . .

Good thing all that shit is free. Wait, it isn't!?!? Oh f@ck. :crackup:

It is cheaper than racing. A superbike. In WSBK. . .

Phl218 and pjzocc like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, just on your description of the running test it's different than a lot of the places that cater to suburban mommies.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Having fun was less work when I was a kid.

Odilup and Phl218 like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dirt was something new when you were a kid.

badmoon692008, pjzocc and Sabre699 like this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Dirt was free and unscheduled and every day was a home game.

12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

The Boy’s next timed run is Saturday morning. Last week he dropped 40 seconds off his 2 mile time after 2 weeks working out with his trainer. Hoping he continues to drop this week. He’s nursing a sore groin muscle so tempering my expectations but he’s continuing to do well on the floor. Precheck #2 is Saturday as well, so it’s a big day for him.

Thank you for all the run tips and advice given here, as well as the positive feedback. I’m sure everyone is on the edge of their seat waiting to see how Boomer does! :D

13. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

What's even more impressive with my godfather, he was approximately 5'10" and at least 300 pounds at the time. Beast.

pjzocc likes this.
  14. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Last week, The Boy was at 18:53. Today he turned 18:02. Dropped 51 seconds off his time. Definitely moving in the right direction!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

3275784D-6F90-49C4-979E-0E62B64F449B.jpeg Epilogue:

Joe was cut during that cycle, meaning he did not receive his black belt for that rotation. He was devastated. So was I. Dude worked hard. He pushed himself far beyond I could imagine. He took it hard. We all did. If he had hung it up, I wouldn’t have faulted him. It was his second time being cut from cycle. He really thought he had it that time. I really thought he would quit.

He didn’t.

He continued his workouts with his trainer. Continued his training at the dojo. Running, push-ups, squats, sparring - all of it.

He started his third consecutive cycle July 9th. As much as he pushed himself last cycle, he grabbed another gear and powered on. He ran... four, five times a week, and all of a sudden started dropping chunks of seconds off his 2 mile run time. He came in at 15:39 and 15:53 on the last two qualifying runs to get invited to the final testing weekend. Did it 2 weeks after his grandmother lost her battle to cancer on September 9th.

He passed his final test, and has been invited to recieve his black belt on November 9th.

For everything The Boy has endured, to continue to pursue his goal and succeed, to say I’m proud is an extraordinary understatement. I’m amazed at his determination and perseverance. He has definitely EARNED this!

Thanks everyone for their input and running advice. It helped him on his journey!

76241C58-35D0-4A2F-B089-1E8805D224D6.jpeg

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:bow:

[​IMG]

britx303 and pjzocc like this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He now knows and understands the work it takes to get something he really wants. That's one of the best life lessons to learn early. Good for him for not backing away from it.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Good on him!!! And great job pjzocc!!!:clap:

pjzocc likes this.
  19. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Read the first page, it's simple for me at least.

As long as the black belt is not YOUR goal and your kid is having fun.
    Doing what they want, are not sacrificing good grades for his goal then your fine.
    We limited how many things our kids could do to one major after school activity.
    There was also a limit on our out of pocket expensive, and that activity was premised on school, home chores and minding us.
    When our daughter wanted to do a tournament across the county with her sensei she had to get her grades up.

20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

It’s been his goal from the start. We’ve supported but not pushed. Really thought he was going to bail after getting cut the second time but he was determined to reach his goal. It’s been impressive watching him along this journey.

_indy likes this.