1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Go fund me" racers all over my facebook

Discussion in 'General' started by nigel smith, Feb 26, 2015.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I've seen several that weren't even racing yet.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I remember (way back when) that racers would print and sell t-shirts to help with expenses.

I guess the internet has made begging too easy for anyone to go to that much trouble now.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

Yes. :up:

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Yeah Draik seems to be a hard worker. Kudos to him, and his parents.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Another reason I'm glad to not be on Facebook :D

6. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Last year some kid I met once at Fontana asked me to fund his racing in Europe and I explained to him that I was already fully committed and couldn't help him. So his dad fires off a nasty gram addressed to Roadracing World saying what a bad guy I am for not agreeing to fund his 13 year old's racing program! My point is, some people just feel entitled.

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

That's amazing. The example that sets for that kid is horrible.

Ride safe,
    AAron

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Draik definitely puts the work in. Whether in racing or another endeavour, it will serve him well. I fear the kids who benefit from handouts are receiving the wrong lessons.

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is this different than the thread from last week where a member was asking for assistance to get a relative to band camp? People were quick to say that helping a child fulfill a dream of band camp was a noble thing to do. What if the kid wanted to go to a race school instead?

Just playing devil's advocate. I'm not paying for another persons hobby.

10. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

There's a dude in Toronto who's looking for donations to get a bike. Here's the kicker. He prefers an 08+ R6. Man there is no shame left.

11. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Go fund yourself.

Oh, and kudos to Draik as well :up:

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Because what happens at band camp stays at band camp......

[​IMG]

13. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Not at all. If you do not want to donate any, move along and dont complain about it

14. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

NO, the internet has made it too easy for people to slag and complain about other people

15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That is nuts.

BTW wanna sponsor my daughter. HAHA :D

16. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I hold no love for the gofundme generation of racers...but I have asked for donations in the past so I guess I can't throw stones. But then again I still live at home and drive a 1999 Saturn to be able to afford to do what I do.

shit...even racers (myself) who do proper fundraisers get flamed once in a while. I have never done one without it being some sort of raffle so the donors had a chance to win something but even that backfired on me with the now defunct NESBA forum a couple years ago.

I have more of a problem with kids out there making comments about working hard all kinds of b/s when their parents are the ones funding their racing. They have no idea what it means...

But in the grand scheme of things...I have no problem with people asking...it's a free world. You choose to donate or not. The more people that do it though lessens the chance of ANYONE getting any return out of it so they're all just hurting eachother.

Rant over. :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  17. ped

ped Banned

It's almost as bad as asking for a sponsorship

18. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

You're exactly who I was thinking of in regards to professional racing. Your funding effort was for the freaking Macau GP. That's damn cool and unique.

19. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Healthy Rant

20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]