1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Go fund me" racers all over my facebook

Discussion in 'General' started by nigel smith, Feb 26, 2015.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Is anybody else kind of aggravated by the constant stream of requests to help pay for someone's racing hobby? I'm not talking about known, experienced racers who need a little help, but unknown amateurs who think it's a good idea for total strangers to fund their expensive pastime. Maybe I'm an ass, but this is just internet panhandling. We raced for years on our own dime, and sacrificed in other areas to make it happen.

2. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I'm right there with ya. I threw some support Elena's way, but not for the guy I'm racing against.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I've heard of grown ass adults soliciting gofundme crap for their birthday party. Seriously. "Hey, I'm 37 now! Gimme money".

Unreal.

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Yup annoying

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You're not an ass, it's pathetic.

I saw one the other day that said "professional motorcycle racer"... uh, apparently not.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

Go fraud me

:beer:

I want it. Not willing to sacrifice. Gimme money. I will fail because the money came too easy.

The end . ( as a famous literate would say )

8. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

To play devils advocate, you feel its ok to pay for someone who has enough fame/connections to get sponsorship, but everyone else is internet begging?

But yeah, I can't even afford to race myself, no chance I'm paying for someone else.

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Pay for my kid's racing this season?:D

10. ton

ton Arf!

time to unfriend some MF'ers

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Yeah, real annoying. My kid has a dream of racing motorcycles, give me money. GTFO!

Show some real effort. The name escapes me right now but there is a young WERA kid I follow on FB who hussles pretty hard. He sells shirts/mows yards and shit on the weekend to pay for his racing and is always out tastefully promoting himself instead of asking for a handout.

Some of these so called race teams and grown ass men could learn a thing or two.

12. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

So none of you cheap bastards will help me then? Damnit.

13. tracaddict

tracaddict Well-Known Member

If you can't afford to go racing get a second job, or more importantly find a way to give sponsors a return on their investment. More often than not a week before a race weekend I'm working 60+ hours so I can go do it and not put anything on the credit card. Now I can kind of see pro-racers doing it and accepting donations from their fans, I guess that way your just skipping the middle man. But I've seen club racers do it when trying to go out and do an AMA round or two, that's truly pathetic.

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

IMO it might be worse when a professional racer does it. Cheapens the sport. If you ran out of talent, burned those bridges, whatever ... GET A JOB.
    It's begging for money at all levels.

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I'm not against anyone asking. It's up to you to decide to give or not. Asking me a 2nd time after I said no would be annoying though.

If it's just general FB posting and not directed at anyone in particular, right? Lighten up Francis and just ignore it like all those FB political posts everyone makes!

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Draik 77 :up:

17. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

I would argue that's marginally better than just paying for a WERA weekend or something. The cost factor for an AMA round is considerably higher than a club race weekend, but the potential payoff is far greater as well. Something like that I would probably throw a few bucks at, but Joe Schmoe just trying to club race the rest of us jackasses, not a chance.

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

+1.

If one of your Facebook posts is asking for donations to race, all the rest of your Facebook posts better be about not doing anything ever on the weekends, eating Ramen noodles and so on because all the money you have is going into racing.

And, even then, no. Racing isn't charity. If you don't have the money, you don't race. Those that work hard enough and are dedicated enough will find a way to do it on some level.

kjohnson likes this.
  19. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

Yup, I saw one a couple weeks ago, and they were asking for $20,000 to go club racing. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was a yellow plate too.

20. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

:crackhead: