1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Go fund me" racers all over my facebook

Discussion in 'General' started by nigel smith, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Personally I would never do it.

I have learned what it takes to get real sponsors from guys Like Chip, KW, and Eddie just to name a few. It's called hard work, and effort on and OFF the race track. And show some type of Value to your program....

2. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Are you planning to come back to the MRA?

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I don't really see the issue in a crowd sourced program myself. It is kinda hand in hat begging, but if you don't want to fund it then don't. But there are folks out there that want to have a small part in helping someone reach their dreams. Is it begging? Sure it is. Is it annoying? At times it is. But I really don't see any reason to actively bash anyone for doing it.

With that said, I wouldn't do it myself.

4. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

No not much. Just enough to stay eligible for my TT Mountain Course license.

Can't afford it and don't own a bike.

Last year I raced the TT and then didn't really race again until Macau (except one sprint race on a Saturday at Summit Point, in the rain)...and still ran a personal best and qualified within 107% of those dudes. Ah if only I had budget to do more...would be nice!

5. backcountryme

http://www.gofundme.com/
    This site might be helpful in your budget search.
    :D

6. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

I meant both at a pro and hobby level. Give and take.

7. sowega

sowega #710

I have a pretty great career in high end marketing. An industry colleague (and racer) and I often talk about using the experience, connections, and skills to put together a solid non-powersports industry sponsorship program to pay for our racing. In the end, we always come to the conclusion that we'd rather keep footing the bill ourselves rather than put in the time and effort it would require to given serious sponsors worthwhile ROI.

Taking enough money to fund a race program involves a no-bullshit obligation; it's a job. You guys can continually delude yourself with facebook pages and gofundme campaigns, but no marketing exec or business owner worth a damn is going to give you the time of day without a well thought out and realistic business plan.

V5 Racer likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

^ werd

9. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I thought about it but didn't want the dad's lunacy to tar the kid for life. Sins of the father and all that. I will say that when I met the kid, (and rode with him on track) I immediately realized that there was a sizable gap between the dad's perception of the kid's skill and potential and what I actually saw.

I am not sure what the dad's plan was with the nasty note, which also included insulting riders I am actually working with. He also claimed that CU has no business riding and writing about motorcycles. Which is amusing since a few days earlier a 3-time 500cc World Champion I know had told me that judging from CU's reports, he is one of very few who actually know what they are writing about.

10. backcountryme

Well, that is one JRP level crazy race dad there.

11. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

I remember that because I was then labeled as a CR Nut swinger by one of the morons over there for defending what you were doing and supporting it.:crackup:

P.S. For the morons here.....CR isn't referring to Clarence.:D

12. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

The biggest surprise of this whole thread is that Nigel looks at Facebook.

Racing is like going to college, go to the one you can afford. If you can't afford to go to college, don't go. If college is not for you, don't go. If you can't afford to go racing, don't go.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  13. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

:stupid:

I made the decision many years ago to pursue and woo all the sponsors I could for a couple of seasons with proposals and resumes, (nothing too big time, it was club racing after all). I did end up with quite a few sponsors, some who were more than willing to write a check, others who donated product etc., etc.. But forging those relationships and keeping them fresh is literally a full time job, in the end it was far easier for me to work more and fund it myself.

V5 Racer likes this.
  14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Nail, head.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

My company is called Apex Heating and Air Conditioning. The "Apex" is not accidental, it's a road racing reference. I was at the track in 2004, racing on no budget, but smitten by the sport. I needed to make more money and go racing the right way. The best answer I could come up with was to start my own company in the name of it's impetus.

For anyone who's started a business, I don't need to point out the flaw in my logic, but the point is that when I wanted more, I didn't beg. I went out and found a way to get it done. Now I can afford the racing but don't have the time. Catch 22.

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

That's not a very nice thing to say about JU. :D

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then, Will you pay for my kid to race? She'll be the first girl motogp champ.

18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You pay for my kid to race until he wins his MotoGP world championship. Then, we'll give his bike to your kid so she can win hers. Everyone knows it's all about the bike, anyhow.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ditto. Hell, I don't even have time to do a 90 minute XC race 30 minutes from the house.

20. backcountryme

It would only be a 30 min race then wouldn't it?