1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Lean To Full Lean

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Wheeliest, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

That was Honda in 1984 (NSR500, I think?), exactly what I read that finally helped me understand where my line of reasoning was incorrect.:up:

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Let's limit it to bike only for now, rider input is another paragragh (titled ergonomics). :D

From the perspective of the front tyre contact patch, absolutely! The top heavy stick as a slower moment of inertia.

More of an interesting conversation (cold beer is cruely lacking :D).

I'll be a nerd and specify that I am for a concentration of masses and, importantly, of varying masses (fuel) to lower rotating inertia (along longitudinal axis).

I'd say I'd raise the bike height as a last resort, it screws up entry and exit stability.

:beer:

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I actually meant my comment about arguing the same point for Turner...I was a little slow on the trigger but, hey, any target'll do. ;)

So, when entering/exiting, doesn't the load created by cornering forces lower your overall ride height anyway? :Poke: :crackup:
    (Okay, now I'm just gettin' silly. Where's that treadmill?)

4. fastfreddie

I actually don't mind a bit of nervousness in a bike on entry...not so much on exits, tho'.
    It's really only for a moment anyway, right? I mean, once the thing's on its side and carving' the corner, it all comes back. Of course, things could go horribly wrong there, as well.

You know how everyone seems to have problems dealin' with corners? It's like, "Here's my turn point, damn, I coulda gone faster." So, next lap they take it faster. "Damn, I need a new turn point". :D

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

turner38, tzrider, fastfreddie - I think we are all saying the same things, just via different explanations (something one of you guys already noted).

The example of the weight on top of the broomstick being easier to move the hand side to side quickly is perfect. With the weight high, it's very easy to move your hand quickly to the right. It is then also easy to move your hand back left at a speed necessary to keep the weight from falling, yet still keep the stick leaned over. A third time, it's easy to swing your hand to the left fast enough to cause the stick to tilt to the right.

The hand is the tire contact patch, and the weight is the CG. Higher CG == easier to flip from side to side.. that's the point I was getting at :)

turner38 I think you and I were just using different frames of reference for the problem. When I said the rider's head doesn't move as much as the wheels when flipping over, I meant that relative to a static point (or at least, line) on the pavement. Did you mean the rider's head moved more, relative to the contact patch?

6. Chip

Chip Registered

RM said this 10 pages ago...

7. fastfreddie

hey, Hey, HEY!!!
    you're ruining the fun!
    :Poke::D

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I was meaning when you Isolate what happens in one turn the riders head is what moves the farthest, looking at a series of turns gives a false impression of whats happening. What makes the physics different for a left turn only compared to a left right transition?

9. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

CG = center of gravity.

:D

10. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

11. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

i ordered it!

12. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  13. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

lifted the bike 8mm in rear (304mm eye to eye) and front end was flush with clip-ons.. (front was lowered 12mm) so i lifted it 12mm..

Now for the good news, dive in was just a tiny bit more effort, full lean to full lean was a dream, i could make mistakes with body position on the switch over and not have a problem keeping line. Braking was still perfect!, clicked it into first on a practice session at the end of a 5th gear straight and backed it in smoothly with no sketchy-ness.

Mid corner Speed was ALOT higher, i finally was able to make my front tire look like the back!

corner exit was still the same, im pretty sure my shock is sprung to heavy and not valved good for my weight but when i did push the rear out it was completely predictable and smooth.

Thanks for everybody's help!

14. CG = Center of Gravity.

15. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

16. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

17. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Finally had a chance to measure my rear shock, 308mm. When I was running the 03 R6 front end my forks were flush.

18. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

4mm more than me

19. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

So in short, raising the whole bike made it a bit harder to start the lean but once started it was better? Is that what you mean when you say "dive in was just a tiny bit more effort".
    Reason I ask is because I just read 9 pages and I think I came to the conclusion that raising the bike will make it dive in easier, but after ur changes ur saying that you needed a bit more effort.
    Im not starting a debate or an argument, but I just got confused after ur result and im going nuts, lol

20. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

lifting it just made it a little more work to set the bike into the corner... think of a dolly, u gotta lift it back far enough before the weight feels lighter, well with a bike its a bit more complicated then just center of mass, you got that Crank spinning and the height of that makes changes to handling characteristics ... so lift it.

and what problems are you having? and what bike are you on?