1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Former) Cop shoots man for texting during movie previews

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Jan 13, 2014.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Playing devils advocate....why do you have a need to text in a theater? What if I chose to turn on a flashlight? Light up a cigarette? Why is your compulsive need to text more important than the other patrons who simply want to watch a movie they paid better than $10 each to watch?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Cigarettes stink.

Why would someone turn on a flashlight? :confused:

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

For the same reason someone cannot go two hours without texting...there is no good reason.
    A little courtesy and consideration for others is missing.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There usually is a purpose to texting. I'm not saying you should be doing it in the theater, but there is a purpose. Turning on a flashlight, not so much (unless you dropped something. But who carries a flashlight?).

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Its on your cell phone now, if you really wanna piss off the guy behind you. :D

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Ex-cop probably had a mag lite on his belt. Might need it to reload.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I conceed that a flashlight maybe a poor example. The point was have a little consideration. If you don't know how to dim your screen, it does appear as a bright light in a theater.

As for a purpose to texting, not so sure unless you are down with the FB tradition of posting up a pic of the beer you just opened. Sure, the messages do convey info, but not all of it is anywhere near earth shattering important.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

As a parent, it should be even more obvious to you than it is to me. Sending a text to check that your daughter made it home safely, for instance, shouldn't turn into a capital offense in a theater.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I give up. I have not once condoned the shooting of the man texting. According to published reports, the shooter first asked that the guys stop, in accordance with the theater rules. The deceased could have gone to the lobby or explained the situation and continued. So far I have not seen reports saying he did either. Most people would understand if there were a problem at home.

As a parent, I would have gone to lobby and called to find out what was going on rather than rely on texting.

10. Lawn Dart

Just a hypothetical scenario. I could see it happening...

Dad: "Hey, mom and I are at a movie. Are you on your way home?"

waits for response. Checks phone

Daughter: "Yeah, I'm leaving in a minute. I have to stop for gas."

Guy behind him - "Hey buddy, no texting."

Dad: "OK, be careful and let me know when you get home."

waits for response. Checks phone

Daughter: "OK."

Guy behind him - "Hey buddy, I already said, 'no texting.' I'm going to tell the manager."
    Guy leaves. Guy goes out to lobby. Tattles. Comes back pissed off, probably mumbling passive aggressively where the dad can hear it. Sits down.

Dad turns around: "Hey man - I'm just texting my daughter to make sure she gets home. No reason to get upset, the movie hasn't even started yet."

Guy: "Rules are rules, Brosef. No texting, or I'll give you something to text about."

Dad: "Listen Deputy Fife, I told you I'm texting my daughter to make sure she gets home. I've already put it away, now back off..."

Escalates from there.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Rudeness (texting) should get you expelled from the theater. Maybe even punched in the face if things go too far. Not shot.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

In an alternate universe...

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I agree.

14. Lawn Dart

So in your alternate universe, the two key differences I see are that the aggressor neither leaves the theater to report to management, nor does he shoot the texter. :D

Everything else happens, including the same number of texts. :crackup:

15. RR558

RR558 Well-Known Member

No, actually I leave me phone in the car for movies but if I was waiting for an important text from my kid then yes all bets are off. If it was during the movie then I could see the uproar (not shooting someone though) Old people annoy the shit out of me on the roads but I don't shoot them, at least not yet.

16. RR558

RR558 Well-Known Member

Yes

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

In just about any professional theatre cell phone use will get you put out. Another thing I like about professional theatre is once the show starts no more admittance.

This model of business is steeltoe approved. :up:

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What the hell is a professional theater? :confused:

Is it just for you and your ilk (people who studied Shakespeare and shit)? :D

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Everything except either one going a$$hole stupid.

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'm guessing live theatre, meaning musical or play, instead of movie theatre.