1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford 6.7 Mileage

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, May 3, 2018.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Anybody have real world mileage numbers on a new Ford 6.7 towing and not towing? I have been liking the new alumi-duty but the prices have kept me from even stopping to look. Unfortunately, I just got word that my '04 Ford 6.0 with 263k miles has a lifter going bad. That on top of the oil leak diagnosed as coming from the bed plate means an expensive rebuild or replacement. The shop who normally works on my truck says they would recommend installing a remanufactured motor if I really want to keep it going. Another reputable shop says they prefer to rebuild them in house, updating it with all the bulletproof items the 6.blows need. Either way, looks like ten grand or more to keep it going. One thing I have heard about the new fords and Dodges is that the mileage sucks. If the new trucks get worse mileage than my old workhorse, that might sway me a little to keep it going.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Don’t know about the 2018, but the 2016 i once rented to tow the camper got 6.7 MPG . Which i found funny for a 6.7l, well, until the next fuel stop. Non-towing i got 14 or so

3. Alanjtc73n

Alanjtc73n Well-Known Member

I have a 2017 crew cab with 8ft bed dead stock with no tune or mods. Non towing around town I get 12-14. Doesn't help that my commute is only 10 minutes. Highway I occasionally see as high as 18. Towing an Airstream 27fb I hover right around 12-13. My 07 6.0 does around 12 around town and maybe 16 highway. Towing had it down as low as 10. The power difference between the 6.7 and 6.0 is amazing.

Canadian Bacon and wsmc42 like this.
  4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

‘11 here.
    14-15 in town, 16-17 hwy.
    10 towing a 25’ Work and play at 70.
    Like Alan said above, difference in power vs. 6.0 is unreal.

5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

wsmc......that's almost impossible to answer. F250...F350....F350 Dually??? 3.31 rear end...3.54....3.73.....4.10??? Crew Cab....Regular cab?? Flat land....mountainous terrain....combination of both??? 8000 lb trailer....10,000 lb trailer.....16,000 lb trailer??? Utility trailer....camping type trailer???

There are about a million variable that affect the mileage numbers, including everything mentioned above plus how the individual drives and how fast or slow while towing.

Here's an easier question.........what's the best oil for my truck!
    What I'm trying to say is that the reported numbers are going to be all over the place. Maybe you could name/describe your towing needs and what truck you are considering and maybe then one of us could give you a better estimate based on our experience, if similar.

TLR67 likes this.
  6. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

12 crew cab 4x4 F250. Get 16-17 around town, 18-19 hwy and 11-12 pulling 30 ft W&P

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

'13 quad cab long bed dually pulling a 42ft 5th wheel....9.7 mpg in hilly country, mostly interstates. 17 to 19 mpg unloaded. Rarely go over 70 mph, pretty much go with the truckers.

8. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

17'
    Crew cab short bed 3.55 rear eastern pa

City 13-15
    Hwy 16-20
    If you go above 72 mph you lose 1 mpg per mph

Towing my buddies 13k -30' toyhauler 8mpg
    My 3.5k 6x12 enclosed 10-12

9. That’s not bad at all, the rarely over 70 helps A LOT.

10. Motofun352

Since I retired I'm not pushed to make time like I used to be. Makes long hauls like down to Rd Atl or Barber's a 2 day trip....Of course an overnight in a camp ground eats up any fuel savings so there's that....

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

That sounds very close to what I'm getting. I've got a 2016 F350 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed and running the 3.73 rear end. My 34 1/2' tow behind T.H. weighs just under 13K loaded and I normally run 65-67 mph on the Interstates. Living in TN, most of my pulling is hilly to mountains.....with some fairly flat. Towing..9.5-9.7 Unloaded and around town mostly around 17 mpg

12. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for...some round about numbers. And thanks for the comments about the 6.7 vs 6.0 power. The extra power of the 6.7 is tempting. The fleet manager who sold me my current truck offered me close to 10k off of a left over 17 Lariat. Just haven't been into payments lately, but I might have to do it.

13. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. I just dropped 3500 on my 6.0 for random stuff. I haven't had to spend money on it in awhile, so its still cheaper than a payment.

14. Big Ragu

Big Ragu National Practice Champ

2012 F350 4x4 crewcab deleted
    3.55 axle
    Hwy unloaded 22mpg
    Local unloaded 17.5mpg
    towing 8klb 30' toy haluer 10mpg
    6.7 power is awesome

15. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

It sure is. Even stock, as mine is, the published numbers are 440 HP and 860 ft. lbs. of torque. Those numbers went up with the 17s and the '18 model years. I think the torque is now listed at 925 or 930 ft. lbs.

16. Motofun352

I wonder if it's just a reflash to those numbers on a '13 F350 6.7? If I remember my official numbers they were 400 hp and 800 lbft.

17. I would too if I had tine. You’ve earned that right :)

18. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Personally I would just put the money into your truck. Unless of course it’s a beat up pile of crap. New diesels are stupid expensive and have all of the newer emissions stuff you have to deal with. I just put $20k into my 99 f350 because it’s still cheaper than buying a new truck. It should have 450 horsepower to the wheels (not crank) and all of the maintenance items taken care of and upgraded.

If you put a built engine in your truck you’ll likely have the same if not more power than a 6.7 without the payment. Plus you won’t have to deal with DEF or any of the emissions stuff. If you take care of the transmission, fuel system and accessory drive system at the same time you’ll likely be able to drive another 250,000 miles with no payment.

Maybe I’m just weird but I hate debt and don’t buy a vehicle unless I have enough cash to buy it. I guess being an ex mechanic makes that more feasible for me than most people.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

15' Ram 3500 Long Bed 4x4 6.7 Cummins Automatic Trans. Ordered this truck with the shorter rear end, I think it is 3:43 or something like that.

I average about 18-19 mpg with everything mixed in with minimal work equipment in the bed. I'm half city half country. All flat land mostly.

Towing my 17K work trailer I get down around 9-10mpg and start sucking down DEF like a craigslist hooker.

hotnail likes this.
  20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Being the Devils advocate here, just the title alone is kinda oxymoronic.