1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford 6.7 Mileage

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, May 3, 2018.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Perhaps somethings wrong with the DEF treatment system? Should be about 2% of fuel consumption, independent of anything but fuel usage....

hotnail likes this.
  2. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Last year I got a 2017 Ram 3500 with 4.10 gears and Aisin transmission. I get 11 city, 14 highway, 9 towing 16K 5th wheel.

I was real close to buying the new ford but couple things pushed to the Ram.
    - Ford was a first year model while Ram was not.
    - Got 10k off sticker on the Ram
    - Bullet proof Cummins/Aisin drive train.

The Ram really shines towing heavy. It is a total beast with the Cummins straight 6. I do love the look and style of the Ford. The Ram has a more simple and classic look.
    I will say if I had to do it again I would really consider the F-450 with wide track front axle. The turning radius on my Ram totally sucks.

Attached Files:

• Ram.jpg
      Ram.jpg
      File size:
      675.3 KB
      Views:
    K51000 likes this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I've got a '17 F350 Crew Cab Dually with 4.10 gears.

I get about 16 highway with it so far not towing.

I get ~10 towing a 36foot toy hauler.

4,000 miles on it so far.

I had an '11 same truck, too. That had 3.73 gears...got 18 highway...10 towing.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Am I the only one who doesn't care about mileage? I'm not saying those that do, shouldn't, but am wondering if I should be more concerned.

I just figure, I have the truck I wanted, and when it needs gas, I put gas in it.

5. Alanjtc73n

Alanjtc73n Well-Known Member

Kinda how I feel about it. Even though the new 6.7 gets better mileage than my 6.0, they both pale in comparison to my wife's Jetta diesel averaging 40 mpg. The real reason to go to the newer 6.7 is the power difference. Going from 570 lb-ft to 925 lb-ft is quite noticeable.

The 48 gallon fuel tank is also nice but all the local gas stations have a $100 credit limit on the pumps so I rarely fill it up all the way. I'm just to lazy to whip out the credit card a second time and rehang the pump.

6. Motofun352

With diesel going over $3.30/gallon mileage surely is a concern....that turns out to be about 35 cents a mile just for fuel when I'm towing my 5th wheel. Doesn't seem like much until you figure it's a cent every two seconds. Wish there was an acceptable alternative but I've grown to like having the "hotel" at the track. Getting up at 2 am to walk to the head to take a pee sucks vs just going to the bathroom 5 feet away. That and a shower with hot water when ever it's convienent to almost priceless.

7. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Terrible mileage in my opinion....coming from a duramax. I'm in Texas, so we do drive 75-90mph empty or we are pulling a 20k living quarters horse trailer around. I have a 2017 F350 DRW. I'm getting 15-17 empty and 8-11 towing. Its a far cry from the ol' duramax which would get 18-21 empty and 11-13 towing. I LOVE the Ford raw power and huge back seat.....but I will be going back to Chevrolet in a few years for sure!

8. Motofun352

WOW, getting 11 to 13 pulling 20,000 lbs, especially going that fast...and you're not happy? Is everything downhill where you live? :rolleyes:

lightning97 likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think the questions around fuel consumption are not only about economy but also range. Meaning how far wil I get on my 35 gallons so I can plan where I’m stopping for fuel on my route.

t11ravis likes this.
  10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

When I leave my house, I leave with approx. 80 gallons of diesel fuel onboard. 37 1/2 gallons in the truck tank and 42 gallons in the "L" shaped aux. tank in the bed of the truck. Having that much fuel will many times allow you more flexibility for both range and to plan fuel stops. I try to never buy fuel from the truck lanes at the Pilot/Flying J, Loves, etc. Almost all of them sell only bio-diesel and I refuse to put the bio crap in my truck. Plus, their prices are always more than I can purchase diesel for at home. 80 gallons will get me approx 650 miles before I get down to 1/4 of a tank of fuel left. Many of my trips are under that 650 mile distance and if it is, then I can go refuel after I get the T.H. unloaded off the truck and use regular gas stations instead of the truck stop lanes.

11. hotnail

I was happy with the Chevrolet getting 11-13 pulling 20k, we are talking about the Fords CURRENT fuel economy.....and no, I am not happy with it.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you want to have less power and the same fuel usage?

I am surprised they still run 4:10's with the power/torque they have. Taller would still work and get better mileage.

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Considering that the 6.2 gas engine from Ford is getting around 14-16hwy in a 3/4ton 4x4, I would say all diesels are shit mileage anymore.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's funny, diesels used to get much better economy versus gas. I heard the 06ish dodge Cummins truck would get mid 20s empty on the highway?

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Its not that diesels are getting worse mileage (they are, but not by much), its that gassers are getting better mileage. The new F150 3.0 diesel, with the 10 spd tranny is getting worse mileage than my 10 year old 3.0 diesel Grand Cherokee....same hp rating too....

the new gassers with VVT, Displacement on Demand and tranmissions that can put the engine in peak efficiency range are definitively helping things....whats not helping is that the vehicles are getting bigger and heavier...

16. hotnail

If you do some research on a 2017 Chevy vs. 2017 Ford....you will find the HP and torque to be very close.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And with the same usage I expect the milage to be very similar - real world of course, not claimed.

18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

We also do the 2step to barber. Walmart lot camping is free and its one more chance to pick up forgotten items.

19. Motofun352

My '06 GMC short bed gasser would get 8 mpg pulling my old 32 ft work and play at 65 mph. My '15 F350 gets 9.7 pulling my much bigger 42 fter at 65 to 70 mph.....Not spectacular but much better plus i can actually climb hills.

20. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

My 16' Ford F-250 3.55 rear short bed quad cab. Gas truck

I average 4-5 miles per gallon better mpg with the 17 diesel.

I drove to Jennings last year from Philly and got 6mpg with my 6x12! 6!!!!!!!!!!

Got 8-9 towing the big hauler this year and if we stay 65-70 we get 9-10.

DEF usage definitely increases as MPG drop.