1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No luck involved. He did exactly the right thing. You want to get as close as possible as quickly as possible when dealing with a swinging weapon because the closer you are the less power they have. And yes, he did "have to", because it's his duty to SAVE LIVES, even the bad guy's.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Supreme Court says otherwise...

XFBO likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sey wut?

Don't go outside our own personal opinions? You high, or just no mirrors in your house?

Your argument may be sound, but it's not "the" answer. Just like your next post saying what the cop did was "right", that's a subjective opinion from someone who refuses to go outside his own personal opinions.

Doctor, heal thyself.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah so one slight difference in where the machete was isn't luck. Okey dokey.

It's funny, I've talked to people who do have experience in martial arts and they agree, don't get close to a blade if you don't have to. But I guess they're just a bunch of pussies or just not good enough at what they've spent their life studying.

I considered all the scenarios and once force was required in this situation going into it unarmed is not the best response if you take into account the responders safety and potential for harm. No matter how much Chuck Norris is in him. I am of course wrong in that conclusion no matter how logical it is or how much it goes with training - even in martial arts - because you think shooting dangerous people is always bad.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So it is safer to go running at a swinging machete than to stay out of reach? You're a special kind of person aren't you :crackup:

XFBO likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You're an idiot Mongo. A police officer has taken on a responsibility to the public to put their own safety at risk for the greater good of EVERYONE, including the bad guys. Do you not understand duty? Do you not understand honor? Do you not understand service? Do you really think it's cool to "just stand back and take the shot" and kill a guy because he had a machete? What if he was high? What if he'd been given the drug that put him in this state against his will (been drugged)? What if that guy were someone you cared about, a family member, a child, or even you? Would you want the police officer to be safe, or to be a hero?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, no. Cops do NOT have a responsibility to put themselves at risk to save people who are doing bad things. Where in the hell would you get such an idiotic idea?

I totally understand honor and service. To those who are not threatening innocents with a machete. Once you choose pick up a weapon and threaten others you have chosen to give up the right to honor and service towards you - if the cops have no other choice.

What is this stupid shit about being dosed? Good lord quit making up ridiculous scenarios to try and make your ridiculous and wrong opinions somehow sound good. I had a friend and coworker get killed by the cops right across the street from where we worked because he smoked some PCP laced weed and went nuts. It sucked but I sure as hell never blamed the cops for not getting hurt trying to stop him. They tried talking, they tried less than lethal, they finally had to shoot. Nowhere in there were any stupid enough to go hand to hand with him as he was armed.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, you don't, because if you did we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm done talking to you about this bullshit. You just don't fucking get it man. You're just going to sit there and be a fucking blowhard with zero empathy, incapable of compassion or understanding.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have a ton of empathy and compassion and obviously more understanding than you do ;)

I however don't need to make up scenarios to fit my forgone conclusions. I don't need to try and make excuses for bad people doing bad things. I don't need to try and make up shits cops should do when it's ridiculous.

But you do you! :D

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm not "making up a scenario". If you're a cop who shows up to a scene where a guy has a machete in his hand, YOU DON'T KNOW what has happened, how he got there, or what he intends to do. For the sake of human decency, you need to give him the benefit of the doubt. You have to consider all the potential scenarios and act with everyone's best interest in mind, even his. You can't just go blasting away because on paper, "he had a weapon" so it's unlikely you'll get prosecuted for it.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, and you start with trying to talk him down. You try less than lethal force like a taser as the next step.

No one said that is the first step - but it the final one if need be. What is wrong with you today?

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Eff that. Me, I'm drawing my weapon and telling him to drop his, all while circling around him at a good 10 yards away until I have an acceptable backdrop... one last ""DROP IT NOW!"" and bullets fly.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why? Is possession of a machete against the law? Would you do the same to a guy who was legally open carrying a pistol?

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If he was twirling it around, fucking right.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So wouldn't a tazer have worked too and then he wouldn't have to get that close. First rule of rescuers, don't risk your life if possible. This is coming from someone that did swiftwater and underwater search and rescue.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don’t think that was in the US. It had a very 3rd world look to it so a taser might not have been an option.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not dropping it when a cop tells you to is.

Not to mention pretty damned stupid... often lethally so.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But why does the cop have to make a crime by telling the guy to stop doing something that isn’t illegal?

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned