1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That one is pretty fucked up just based off of the story in the meme, not knowing all aspects, histories, situations, etc. If it truly went down as described in the meme & story, then that's fucked up. I'm not going to watch the video.

That said, regardless of being in a no permit required open carry state, you still can't brandish a firearm at people and not expect it to draw police attention.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The cop that shows up is very likely not the cream of the societal crop. Police forces don't pay enough to attract and retain the best of the best. That is the reality. But their bullets are still lethal as this guy learned.

More reason for me to know that in the extremely unlikely event that I'm ever in a situation where a cop or group of cops is surrounding me with guns drawn, I'm going to lay spread eagled on the ground and not move a muscle at all no matter what their orders.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the guy is waving the pistol around I wouldn't give him remotely close to the same break. Maybe one time yelling drop it then drop him. If the guy had his machete in a sheath on his belt we'd never talk about it...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Waving a weapon around in a threatening manner is illegal.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The meme lies like a mofo.

Guy pulled gun on people in the BK - even went behind the counter to do so. They call 911.

Same guy goes up to a person in the parking lot and she thought he was pulling out a gun - also calls 911.

Guy goes and squats next to another car with the door open.

Cops arrive, do the normal yelling to drop it. He pulls the gun out and they shoot.

Doing the video in slo mo it looks like he grabbed it by the barrel but with the person in the car that close there is just no way the cops could have taken any chances. Sucks for everyone including the dumb kid.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It's *almost* like the laws are different with open carry based on your skin color ;)

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

“Threatening Manner” was not mentioned.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

He wasn’t waving it when the police showed up. Are they sure he’s even the same guy? Nobody seemed afraid of him

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh are you changing things up again? I thought we were still talking about the video of the guy with the machete.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WTF???? Who said he was waving it when the cops got there? Yes, it absolutely was the same guy.

Good lord. Going to be another day of delusions and alternate realities :crackup:

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

He apparently placed his hand on the gun when ordered by the police to do so. His own actions precipitated his demise, but the video record will result in a large taxpayer funded pay out to his family. I am now going to address the elephant in the room. Given several such fairly recent incidents, does it seem that a female officer on scene is more likely to pull the trigger than her male counterparts?

Fonda Dix likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No it doesn't seem more likely a female will pull the trigger.

He still grabbed at a gun, that gets you shot. Yeah you can try blaming the cops for supposedly telling him to but that won't fly in reality. However you're right the family won the lottery as that isn't reality.

13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

So true.

In 2016, The Guardian counted 1093 people who were killed by the police in the United States. Out of these 574 were white and 266 were black. 95 of the white victims were unarmed, 42 of the black victims were unarmed.

14. SuddenBraking

You don't think that the cop ordering the suspect to do something and then shooting him when he lawfully complied isn't something to blame the cops for?

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Let me explain something very basic to you. When I say something like “how do they know it’s the same guy?”, I’m NOT actually questioning whether it’s the same guy, I’m questioning whether the police can be absolutely sure enough that it’s the same guy that they’d be justified using deadly force.

I believe it’s called reasonable doubt.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's *almost* like you can film several different police interactions and selectively edit a video to demonstrate the narrative that you're trying to forward.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No - because they didn't tell him to grab the gun then drop it. All he had to do was open his hands and show them if he wasn't holding it at the time.

And yet again - all of the shit people are complaining about can be seen if you're sitting at home watching it, not as easily seen or reacted to at the moment.

18. SuddenBraking

So 2 to 1, or roughly 67% of police killings were white people and 33% were black people. Does that align with the overall population stats?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow. Yeah, different realities yet again. How could they be sure? Dunno, how about this supposition - every other person in the parking lot and restaurant was pointing at him...

You're acting like they rolled up and shot some random dude, you really do have issues.

20. SuddenBraking

Where do you think the editing took place in the interaction with the black gentleman? That would be some kickass CGI if so.