1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

R Acree likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Beech Island is a unique kind of place.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How so?

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

For starters, it isn't an island, in spite of the name. Second, some of the old time residents are characters. It doesn't really communicate easily without the visuals...think Deliverance lite without the mountains updated to suburb status.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It worked but part of that was still luck on the cops part in not getting sliced some. Not worth the chance to me, stand back and take a shot.

9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

You mean you're not Steven Seagul?

10. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

He didn't hit him in the nuts.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Why not just stand back and try to convince him to put down the knife?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was talking merely about the methods of physically making him stop. I would definitely start with talking and ramp up from there if needed. Hell, personally I'd prefer if he never picked up the machete in the first place, that would have definitely kept me happy.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It wasn’t luck, it was training, skill, and dedication to his job. This guy wasn’t taught that in police school. He took it upon himself to train and become better so he could better provide for the people he serves.

You, and a few others on here fail to understand what policing is about. You act like they’re some sort of government “enforcers” out to inflict as much punishment and vengeance on “bad people” as possible. That just isn’t the case. Our justice system isn’t just about punishment, it’s about rehabilitation and making society better as a whole. You don’t do that by killing everyone you possibly can. This officer knew that the “bad guy” was just as much a victim as anyone he might have hurt, was probably under the influence of a drug, and could be saved, so he put his own well-being on the line and safely restrained him instead of “standing back and taking the shot” like you suggest. That’s what makes a good cop.

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What the absolute fuck are you rambling about :crackup:

It doesn't matter where he got that training - the simple fact is he was lucky not to get cut while making his move. That part of things was not pure skill. That doesn't make him better or worse than any other cop. Just makes him lucky in this instance. The real world isn't a movie.

As for the victim thing - well that is utter bullshit even if he was on something.

I'm also not sure why you think that was part of our justice system either :D

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And sometime, society is better off when the out of control shitbags are put down before they toss a 5yr old kid over a mall balcony.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that one is just another bit of proof it might be better to relax the requirements on people getting committed.

18. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

One of the same throws we teach our students. Great for dealing with idiots who come at you overhand with a non firearm weapon. From how clean he did it, he's been doing martial arts for years. Wasn't lucky. You are right, the real world isn't a movie. But the movies didn't create martial arts. Been in martial arts for 42yrs. Only had to use it 4 times on the street, 2 of which were against knives, once against a handgun.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can keep saying no luck involved but that's bullshit sorry, any number of slight differences and the cop could get cut. If you don't have any other choice then yeah go for it. But it's sill to get that close when you don't have to. Martial arts are great if you're unarmed even if the other person is armed...he wasn't.

code3ryder likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, it isn't luck.

None of the other stuff I said is incorrect either. You're just not able to process it. You and several others on here (this is a problem endemic with society so don't feel like I'm singling you out) refuse to go outside of your own personal opinions when having a discussion. You try to push your own opinion and experience off as indisputable and far reaching fact without considering any other scenarios or underlying factors. It makes for an incredibly frustrating time for those of us that actually do the research to put up a sound argument.

SpeedyE likes this.