1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida School Shooting Thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sharkattack, Feb 14, 2018.

1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I don't know Florida law, just what I read this AM that said handguns were at 21.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Let's see which one of those are accidents, and which ones are purposeful :Poke:

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

4. galloway840

Yes, a user, names Nikolas Cruz, posted "I'm going to be a professional school shooter", and the video host contacted the FBI immediately. They followed up with him a bit, but he doesn't know where it went.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So you're not using your gun for what it's made for? :confused:

Hard to have a discussion when you come out the gate spouting bullshit.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

That they are. But how many nuclear attacks have occurred in the US? vs actual school shootings? one is theoretical, and one is happening with increased frequency

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Is the kid any less dead or fucked up?

Heaven forbid your kid has an undiagnosed allergy to bee stings and goes anaphylactic and dies when sniffing the daisies.

Shit happens. You mitigate risk and hope for the best. Or, you become a mental case following your kid with a fluffy pillow and a ballistic shield.

badmoon692008 and kangasj like this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

9. galloway840

Your opinion and position is valid; however, it's increasingly insufficient for the rest of us. No one is proposing the elimination, or attempted elimination of all risk to life from all sources, whether intentional or accidental. We get your point, but it's a pretty limited point. What we're discussing is how to reduce the incidence of gun violence. Not bee stings...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I have a gun in case of the need for home defense (aka killing intruders). It gets used for target practice occasionally. Kinda like having a race bike and using it for the occasional track day.

Bullshit to you may just be common sense to others. It's a point of view, not scientific fact.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

50 plus years later, it seems naive. In 1962 the Cuban Missile Crisis was front and center. The Nuclear threat was not a fantasy.

BigBird likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My point is limited?

That handwringing and anxiety over the astronomically unlikely odds of your child being a victim of a school shooting versus the plethora other risks that, statistically, are more likely to happen is ridiculous?

Well ok, you keep on losing sleep over the threat of asteroid strikes wiping out humanity. Some of us have living to do.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No, bullshit is bullshit.

You start out stating guns are designed to kill humans, then go on to imply that knowingly selling guns to prohibited persons isn't punished.

Doesn't get much more bullshit than that.

14. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

As horrible and tragic an event this is....by numbers homicide is nowhere near the leading cause of death to children - https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2016/020.pdf

Now when you include the media, politics and agenda's in the equation......it's out of control, we need a police state, ban all guns and the hysteria goes on...

My personal view on this topic is educating society, your kids, to reduce risks.... no different than drivers education to hopefully reduce risk of bad drivers...

pickled egg likes this.
  15. galloway840

Yes, your point about un-diagnosed allergies to bees is limited. Didn't use the word "ridiculous", but you're starting to sound that way.

"Losing sleep over asteroid strikes"? I'm not, and am mostly unaware of any others doing that. Further, to include asteroid strikes in your argument of statistics is, um, interesting. Are you proposing that dying from asteroid strikes is as common, statistically as from gun violence? I'd like to see those stats.

My point is that the rest of society is getting fed up with needless and seemingly endless death from gun violence. Whether you are or not.

16. galloway840

You realize that we're actually, as a society, through science and research and funding, trying to reduce all of these causes of death, right?

There is a lot of hysteria out there, for sure. It's not hysterical to ask our society to try to find ways to reduce gun violence. Nor is it hysterical to attempt to have a rational discussion about it.

DirtTrackin221 likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Seems rational has a floating definition.

18. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It's simple really, it's called parenting.

assjuice cyrus and tropicoz like this.
  19. galloway840

Very true. Not sure where to have that discussion these days. Certainly not most of the internet! Oddly, motorcyclists, having a common passion and inclined towards independent thinking (based on choosing a socially cursed pastime) do seem to be somewhat rational. All of 'em? Nope.

So, one can try to have the discussion here, where many of us like each other outside of this discussion...

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bully for you.

My point had nothing to do with gun violence, per se. My point was the needless worry over any and everything that can possibly happen when your kids are out of your sight.

But hey, you're a smart feller, I'm sure you could actually read the chain of quotes and responses and pick up on that...