1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida School Shooting Thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sharkattack, Feb 14, 2018.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hear! Hear!

2. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Some may question if we are truly trying to reduce certain types of death, like cancer for example..... it's big business....

You have basically stated in a different way what I'm stating, science, research and proper analysis can help educate and come up with an education process to help reduce gun violence.... but I'm sick of the political agenda's and media's agenda's to sell shit....

R Acree likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Let's not forget personal responsibility and assumption of risk in this discussion.

I avoid crowds. Don't go to malls. Why? Because my ability to mitigate the risks of adverse actions by others is diminished. No sight lines, no room to maneuver, too many possibilities of collateral damage should shit go down and I need to employ force to remove myself/my family or return fire.

First rule applies: don't be where shit is likely to go down and the likelihood of having to deal with shit is greatly diminished.

tropicoz and XACT-Man like this.
  4. XACT-Man

Yep, years ago my wife used to call me paranoid..... now she understands

I don't sit with my back to the door when we go to restaurants....I want to see the jack ass coming in....

rd400racer likes this.
  5. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Some may indeed question the underlying motivations for things like finding the cure for cancer, but that's a hopelessly nihilistic perspective and, I believe, needless distraction in a discussion about how to reduce gun violence.

We're all sick of the politics in this country, for sure.

We all know that there is little-to-nothing that will be done about this in the near future. I'm more interested in considering what we might do, or could do. We aren't changing the world from the WERA forum, but doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

6. HighWay

HighWay Well-Known Member

Unless its a disgruntled employee coming out of the kitchen. :Poke:

XACT-Man likes this.
  7. galloway840

Bully for you, as well. Been following along nicely enough, thanks. Not sure I can say the same for you.

Again, limited point here, at best. How are the kids getting shot up in schools supposed to "avoid places where the shit is likely to go down?" You can throw out lots of stuff having no relevance to the issue at hand, doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Further, who is it that said "I've got a life to live..."? Seems you're hiding in fear of public places (even though statistically there's no odds of anything happening to you). Very logically challenged set of positions...

SuddenBraking, jase and BigBird like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

How many mall shootings are there? :Poke:

galloway840 likes this.
  9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Not sure about all the other "WE'S" but you dont speak for me.

10. XACT-Man

I actually used to own a small bar & grill.....always remember there is a rear exit door out the back of the kitchen and there is usually plenty of metal in the kitchen to deflect flying bullets......

11. galloway840

Good point, I'll try to stick to "I, and a whole lot of others"...

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Step 1...pay attention to the warning signs.

tropicoz, XACT-Man and galloway840 like this.
  13. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I mentioned none of that and I am actually quite in favor of active duty police officers in all public schools. So which part is utter bullshit? And try not to spit and type this time, k?

14. galloway840

Can you elaborate? I think I see where you're going, but not positive.

Back in the 90's, I managed the tooling department in our plant. One of the workers was constantly threatening another (always when they were alone together). No one ever saw or heard him doing it, only the recipient. If the recipient was to be believed, and I believed him, the other guy said some truly vile stuff to him (about how he'd kill him, about what he'd do to his wife, etc.). We struggled to manage it. Union environment, no evidence, etc. I personally thought the guy was nuts, but we couldn't fire him...

Edit - rest of the story... the recipient of the abuse, a great tooler, eventually left the department...

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yes, but then do what with this information? The kid that pulled this latest shooting was on every list in town. Do you assign a resource officer to follow him 24 hours per day?

As fatalistic as it sounds, there is no solution. This is the new America, circa 2018+ (even though it's been going on longer than just now).

16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

They do/did that in ghetto schools all due to the idea that someone might have a gun and student A might shoot student B. Do it to the suburban kids too and give them all the school issued clear backpack too.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It won't help everywhere, but Sandy Hook, the most recent and some of the others, there have been signs that point to the shooter having significant coping issues. In nearly every one of these, a host of people speaking after the event state that are not surprised by the person's actions. We have been so obsessed with potential litigation for hurting peoples feelings or damaging their precious self esteem that people are dying as a result. Common sense has become all too rare.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    galloway840 likes this.
  18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They were too busy plotting and spying on Trump in a failed attempt to keep him out of the White House. They don't have time for your pansy whining about a Youtube video.

Photo, blkduc and R Acree like this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No you don't observe him every day, but a security officer in the school and a watch list of potential troubled individuals may have made a difference.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Apparently not.

For fuck's sake, arr-tard, I'm not fucking talking to you about whatever fucking "issue" you're experiencing a myopic seizure over.

Yeah, and for a long fucking time (much longer than I've studied aspects of personal and environmental security), I've hated crowds and lack of egress. Guess what? I figured out why. It's a self-preservation instinct, so my "living life" is embracing my instincts and not putting myself into situations that create unneeded stress.

Wanna talk logic some more, Aristotle?