1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida School Shooting Thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sharkattack, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

http://nerdbacon.com/call-of-duty-writer-news/

Pilots can get vetted, register, and pay out of pocket to go to the federal training center Air Marshals use and then can conceal and carry on flights. We need a similar program for teachers and administrators.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

By that rationale then wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd want them in every corporate office building as well. I mean who knows when a disgruntled (ex-)employee could go bananas and shoot the place up.

3. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Not at all. It’s obviously an ongoing issue and the sooner we show that we as a nation care about protecting our children and will publicly put down those who assault them the better.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Here in Utah, anyone with a CFP can carry on any public school campus. Including teachers and administrators.
    Many do.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

So someone steals your car, kills someone with it while drunk.

Why weren't your responsible enough to have an alarm, garage, etc....

See how this works?

Mike Dillon likes this.
  6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

"See how this works" the rest of the world is asking the same thing mon frere. Its easy to say this from another country and I get how little it means, but respectfully until you find a real and lasting solution, we dont need to guess what's coming again no matter how sad it is each time.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

With all due respect to the rest of the world, I really don't care what they think about the US.

gixxerreese, Rebel635, G 97 and 6 others like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Must be a bloodbath every day there...

brex likes this.
  9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Seems like I saw a number of around 7 teenagers are killed daily in car crashes...

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

They do lockdown drills in the elementary schools that my kids have attended. It's kind of terrible to think that would be even a thing to worry about with 4-8 year olds.

And as parents, to wonder now when you drop your kids off to school, that you may not pick them up ever again. Something needs to be done, because this is absolutely terrifying.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The kid could fall off a playground jungle gym and break their neck.

They could slip and fall in a bathroom and bleed out.

They could get smooshed in the parking lot by a bus.

All of these things are as likely to happen as a school shooting. Which is, not very.

Life is dangerous. Bubble wrap is cheap. Your choice.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Bottom line is, this is what's going to happen. A guy that looks like this will be standing in front of every doorway of every school in America. It's either that or every door in the school will be blocked off except the one high security opening in which every students will pass daily as they go through the metal detector. Really no different than getting on a plane. If someone has a better idea, pass it on.

[​IMG]

Of course this is nothing new. Many countries have tackled their problem in a similar way. Northern Ireland had security outposts on every corner. It's just a way of life...a way that we need to get used to.

[​IMG]

Before any of you jump all over me, I'm not being flippant about this. I'm dead serious. This is the only way.

aaronson and Odilup like this.
  13. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Minors smoke and drink all over the place, just because it isn't legal doesn't mean they don't do it. There are minors all throughout our country who posses/own firearms. These are not the kids who are shooting up schools. There is plenty of accountability in America, unfortunately it just isn't universal. I would argue most minors who posses firearms do have parents who are accountable and hold their children accountable.

XFBO likes this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...kids are pretty resilient and if you explain to them in rational terms they grasp more than people give them credit for. I spent my elementary school years doing duck and cover drills for nuclear attacks. There are risks in life. Obsessing on them is not healthy. Your kids are for more likely to die in a car crash on the way to or from school than in a shooter situation.

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying but I just cant equate guns with cars. One is made to kill humans and one is made to drive you to work.

I like guns and love shooting shit up but just like everything else in this world, we need to find a way to strike a balance. I doubt its even possible but there needs to be a way to keep guns out of the hands of people who have mental illness, take anti depressants, have a history of violent behavior ect ect. If that means holding those who sell them to unqualified individuals and those who are irresponsible owners accountable then maybe we have to do it.

I don't have the answers but I think people should be willing to have a discussion rather than just saying no, because America and 2nd amendment and all that shit.

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  16. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

It is always interesting when people say, "this, my proposal, is the only that that will work".

There are actually tons of things we could be doing to reduce the incidence of gun violence. I don't necessarily have the solution, but collectively, we could do something if our elected officials had the will.

The 19 yr old Florida shooter bought his gun legally. Why? Because it's a rifle, not a handgun. If the law limited rifle, and/or specifically, semi-automatic rifles, purchases to those over 21, he would not have secured it by the means he did.

We could, easily enough, ban all guns and magazines that carry over 10 rounds, or even 7 for that matter. Next would be the roundup. Everyone has 30 days to turn in all guns. Anyone caught with one after the window serves a life sentence without parole. All the honest citizens would turn them in. All the criminals would keep them, and law enforcement would have to aggressively target them. This would cost society a fortune, and people would die fighting the government. And? People are dying anyway. It would be a police state, but so is having an armed guard at every school in America. That's gonna cost society a fortune too, and still do nothing for the millions of other non-school places that need protection too.

The above isn't necessarily my proposal, it's counter-argument to the "nothing else will work" mentality.

We, as a society, should consider doing some things differently. Guns may not be "the problem", but guns facilitate evil deeds with efficiency not found elsewhere.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  17. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I know, right? Everytime I get behind the wheel I wonder if I'll make it back. All these maniacs around me armed to the teeth with their high capacity 4Gs assault weapons, methhead tweakers out for their next hit.........oh, you meant all the maniacs shooting up schools. Not as concerned about that as just making my commute unscathed.

BigBird likes this.
  18. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

In Florida you can buy a firearm (rifle, shotgun, handgun) at 18... The only restriction is in order to get a carry permit you have to be 21.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Maybe I was a bit over the top. Let's just continue as is. Seems to be working well. :flag:

20. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Looks like the FBI was warned by a youtuber, this won't help their already diminished credibility
    Granted they probably get alot of false warnings but it doesn't matter