1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excuse me very much, but...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Nancy Starke, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just because actually answering this as you've written it amuses me - That would be up to God, not my job to keep score, says so in the rulebook. So the best bet as I see it would be for you to emulate Jesus in your actions form here on out as much as possible and hope that when your time comes the totals are high enough to offset the harm you've done prior to this point.

If you're good enough maybe the ultimate judge will forgive you and you can move into the big house. If not we'll be seeing you downstairs.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, it was on page 2 until a few minutes ago, it's moving over now....

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

amazing, find his quote and he backpeddles.

just need the points table. is it in the rule book? or when you judge people you do it in your head. you don't know me mongo. you think you do, but you don't. there is nothing i won't do for people that i deem worthy. no, i don't waste my time on people i don't respect or like. what would be the point? i am not like jesus in that way that's for sure. i guess that is where you point the finger at me and try to judge. so go ahead, i'm comfortable in my shoes. just be sure to point the finger inward too.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I said, as I read it God keeps the points table. Nowhere did I say that I do or any human does. All I said is you get points for doing, not for believing. Nowhere did I say that you get more for one action or another, just that as I read it the bible doesn't say anywhere you get into heaven for just believing. In other words it says that actions are important. Now that I've typed this again are you going to actually read it this time or are you going to ignore what I'm saying to further avoid the question?

So, you won't help people that you don't feel are worthy of your help and in that way you're not like Jesus, cool that makes sense. However I still can't see how you knowingly act that way and still call yourself a Christian. I've never had a problem with the way you act - as I keep saying, that's your call (although I won't pretend to understand why since it gets you nothing except people pipssed off at you, but hey, whatever blows the wind up your skirt). I just still can't see how you can justify your actions with being a Christian. The two are mutually exclusive. Maybe if you at least attempted to follow the teachings of Christ, then you'd be just another Christian trying your best - but that's not the case. You freely admit you don't even try to following his teachings - yet you use his name in a description of yourself. That, to me, makes no sense.

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

so mongo, by your logic, are there "cheap seats" in heaven?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What the heck are you talking about?

If you don't want to answer then say so, but c'mon, I though it was only the pacifists that answered a question with a question on here.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wait a sec - I know how to play this game.

so mongo, by your logic, are there "cheap seats" in heaven?

Purple.

8. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

Well it says God gave salvation and that faith is all you need. Later it say you can tell one that has true faith by the way he acts because the devils know Christ is the son of God. They also know that He did not die for thier sins. ei.. if you have true faith that the Son of God died for your sins then you will act that way. I do not think Brad acts evil I am not sure he acts well but that is the way it is.

ps I am a religous freak if you couldn't tell.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

You guys don't give up...do you...:p

Posted by Mongo:
    Phew...I thought I was the only one who didn't get it...:D

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

now you are avoiding it. i've asked you in many ways. you say that you have to believe and you have to "do". i'm asking you if that is the case, are there cheap seats in heaven. what about a minister, or a normal everyday christian {i won't include me because you say i'm not going to heaven} will the minister have box seats while the average christian has nosebleed seats?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What the heck - I'll say it yet again.

Christian = someone who follows the teaching of Christ. Teachings of Christ say that you should emulate Christ. Brad says I don't emulate Christ and I'm not gonna even try to. Therefore Brad cannot = Christian.

Simple no?

12. mad brad

mad brad Guest

once again, opinion.

christian= one who believes that jesus is the son of god, and died for their sins.

mongo= clown who thinks you can earn a better seat in heaven {although he keeps dodging the question}

mongo, by your logic, do you think there are better seats in heaven for someone who acts {more} like jesus than others? again worded differently so maybe he'll understand it.

13. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Mongo, I am in no way challenging your theology, but I hope you assume salvation is a seperate issue. The only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ and that is a gift from God. (grace through faith). Your position in heaven may be established by works here but sweeping the floor there is the same as being the boss. God dosen't score us like we do, position and value are different. God values everyone in lieu of their position or power.

Again this all confuses me too. Try reading some Calvin or R. C. Sprool for answers. What about the doctorin of concurrance, predestination, double predestination.

I am struggling with this thing about God being involved in everything or letting us make decisions. Concurrance would suggets his will is in everything. He uses what we see as bad for his good?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Brad - duh! Of course it's all opinion. As for the whole assertion that I believe you can earn a seat in heaven - never said that anywhere so why do you acting like I did? Somehting in my questioning hit a bit too close to home eh? Sorry about that, oh, wait a sec, no I'm not. Did on purpose as a matter of fact. Kind of hoping that by getting you to think about it you might quit being mean to people for no purpose and act in a manner that will allow people to actually get to know you rather than the persona you put forth. I do believe that somewhere inside the armor you throw up against the world is a good person.

Back to the attempt - So, based on your answer (thank you for finally giving one), you truly think that you can act like you do and still be a Christian? Cool, more power to you and I hope for your sake God agrees - even though the book eople keep saying he wrote says otherwise.

SOFG - my theology is suspect at best. I don't profess to know what will or won't get anyone into heaven. All I was wondering from the beginning is the above question - how can Brad call himself a Christian? And since he did so, can he back it up with a reasonable explanation of how he can be a Christian and still treat people the way he does. All of the rest of what I've typed is bullshit for the most part based on the couple of times I've read the bible looking for answers. I do however believe it to be true - if you claim to be a Christian then you are claiming to be a follower of Christ. As a follower of Christs teachings you should emulate him, the teachings are pretty clear about that.

All - gotta run now, it's been fun. For Mondays discussion I submit to you that I believe something more along the lines that we should do good for thte sake of doing good. No more, no less, and we're not going to get into anywhere because of it. I think the golden rule is enough for us to live by however I also realize that many people need more to believe in than goodness for goodness sake. They might be right, wouldn't surprise me any. We'll all find out soomer or later. Or we won't. Either way there is no excuse for treating people badly - no matter what religion you practice (or profess to practice). Hope you enjoyed it as this is the first and probably last time I will state my own personal beliefs - especially since one of them is that my beliefs are mine and in my position here they really have no place. Oh yeah, Brad, I'm not a Christian, never have been by either of our definitions. I'm just me and that's more then enough title to sustain my ego.

15. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

I understand man! Christians should attemts to emulate Christ. We will all fail. There are a coulpe of people on this earth I really dislike and I know that is a sin, work on it every day. Brad's problem may be the same.:D

16. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i like you dude!! why should i waste time on those i don't? doesn't make sense to me. it would be like having huey, or rsdud over at my house so god will give me a culdesac lot instead of a main road. :D

17. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

you mean non-Christians can't get in?

18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

nope. even all the bushmen who have never heard of jesus. :rolleyes: that is why i left the baptist church.

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

C'mon, Cartman! Don't you remember the "Saddam Loves Satan" episodes? The Mormons got it right. The rest of us are going to Hell!

20. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

Actually, I don't believe in a hell, but that you pay your dues before you check out. I've been missing SP lately, got to get back to watching it and upgrading my cultural side :D