1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Mega Cab

Discussion in 'General' started by RCR_531, Oct 21, 2007.

1. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I'll probably screw this info up but...
    My brother has the MegaCab. It's a 1500. Look at the number of lugs on the rear-wheel though. According to what he heard (take this with a grain of salt) the 1500 MegaCab is actually a 2500 but you get it for the 1500 price. It has the 2500 rear end and chassis so you get crappy mileage regardless of the motor but you're getting the strength of the 2500. Dodge doesn't want you to know because they're only charging you for the Mega, not for the 2500 but they had to put it on the 2500 chassis and call it a 1500 for the megacab to fit. Check it out, because I could be all wet.
    BTW, it's a great truck. He just left my house and hour ago with 1 GSXR 1000, 1 SV650, and one Z50 in the bed pulling a trailer with a Jeep Wrangler, an air-hockey table, some weight lifting equipment, and some miscellaneous garage tools in it. In the cab; him, his wife, his two kids in car seats, both of my parents, and more of my crap. It was kind of funny, but thing carries a lot of crap. Of course if you have a brother, you'll have to lug his crap too.

2. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I don't think you can get the diesel in the 1500

3. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

a 1500 is a 1500, 2500 is a 2500:up:

4. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

the 1500 megacab is a 2500, you just can only get the hemi,
    the 2500 and 3500 you can get the diesel

5. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

pfff how would you know :rolleyes:

sup Richard :D

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The only difference in the 1500 and 2500/3500 is the availability of the CDT and the 1500 has IFS. The rest of the line utilizes the same Hemi engine.

If anyone is looking at the longbed conversion, there are 3 different companies doing it now. 5K is about the average price, and you can do a drop ship straight from your dealer to the one in Texas. They lengthen the frame, put new steel lines in (no splices) and they take your old bed. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Unless you live in Texas, do not try and park this thing downtown :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...009QQitemZ190163830774QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  7. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

not much :D ,and I don't know anything
    you ready to put them bags on

8. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Yeah will tomorrow work for you?

9. Surfinglbi23

Surfinglbi23 Active Member

6.25 bed? Damn so close, 6.5 is all you need to shut the gate with 2 sportbikes in there side by side ... I do it all the time in my F-150!

10. Hyperdyne

The best that I can estimate, is that with an 8ft bed, the Mega Cab, with a Long bed is....

268.8" = 22.4ft in total length

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not much longer than my F350.

12. Hyperdyne

Yep... Overall I think it has the F350 and the Chevy/GMC 3500 by 10-12 inches. Essentially the extra length of the cab.

Still, that's a BFT!!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, you get used to it.

14. Hyperdyne

I would...

Of course, I'd also have to get used to the inability to do a U turn in a 22 ft truck with 35's. :D

Do you think the extra length would diminish the load pulling/hauling capacity?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the frame is done right it won't hurt it a bit. Figure it this way, my rv is 43' total and has something like a 60k GVWR.

16. Hyperdyne

That's about another fully loaded 25-28 feet behind you. WOW!! How long is your total vehicle allowed to be? I've seen the pushers with trailers damn near as long as the RV itself.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most places on interstates it's 75' total. I run 73' right now. Some are as low as 65' but the only place I know that has gone after race trailers so far is FL (so I got a permit).

18. Hyperdyne

So when you change lanes in Atlanta you put your turn signal on in Tennessee? :D

19. grich575

grich575 Well-Known Member

Have the '07 Mega Cab 3500 4X4 w/5.9 Cummins and I love it. Pulls our 36ft 5th wheel toy hauler with no problem. Gets about 8mpg pulling the trailer and about 15mgp on average without it. Only has 9k miles and I am told mileage should get better around 12-15k.

As for room -IT'S HUGE!!! We have a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old and with their seats in the truck we still have more room than a small house. Excellent truck so far - more of a truck than the Toyota Tundra we traded in - not as many gadgets and the seats are no where's near as comfortable.

20. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

if you could put that cummins motor in the f-250 or f-350, then you'd have the best, baddest f'ing truck alive.