1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bike for a beginner

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

I don't know anything about dirt bikes, but with the local road course under fourteen feet of water, I figured I should take advantage of all this Iowa dirt and get into off-road riding.

I'd be looking at mainly trail riding and perhaps some motocross, but I don't see myself hitting jumps anytime soon. This is really more of cross-training for the road stuff.

I've read that a 250cc 4-stroke or a 125 2-stroke is the way to go for a new dirt rider. Anybody partial to any specific bikes in the $2,000-$2,500 range? What should I know before getting into yet another expensive hobby?

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

XR400

terminus est, zrx12man and Metalhead like this.
  3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Need more info. What are you looking to do, where will you ride? Can get few yr old honda crf230. Great bike. Full size wheels. Electric start

terminus est and TurboBlew like this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Husqvarna TX300

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Local dirt trails and OHVs, primarily. Maybe the local MX track but that’s pretty unlikely.

I’m 6’, 185, if that helps.

6. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

250cc 4 stroke. cheap and available on craigslist all day. wont be the equivalent of jumping onto a liter bike with no experience.

Senna likes this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Any particular model I should be on the lookout for, or is it like 600s where they are all similar enough to not matter to a casual user?

Knotcher likes this.
  8. socalrider

oh almost forgot- do not skimp on helmet or boots. good boots that are comfortable will protect your feet and ankles, allowing you to use this to actually cross train for road racing. helmet... same principles apply to dirt as pavement. if youve got a $70 brain, by all means go grab that Bilt at cycle gear.

Senna likes this.
  9. socalrider

exactly.
    pretty much any of the big 4 (or KTM but the buy in will be slightly higher) and they will all be so close to each other that you as a beginner wont notice any differences.

you will most likely find more honda's for sale- because they sell more in total volume.

10. onenut

onenut Well-Known Member

Older KTM 200EXC or 250MX they are like the SV650 of the dirt.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have a 2006 crf450 with rekluse, new tires and tubliss for sale.

Don’t listen to the girls recommending smaller bikes .

Hayabusa in novice all the way!

$2345 obo

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

TTR 250

For learning, a tractor is better than a racer

5axis likes this.
  13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

CR 500.

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

WR250, it can be tagged

SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  15. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

YZ490

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Im going thru all the helpful answers thinking...what has the beeb come too....back in the day the answers to this question would ahve been...man the eff up sally and get a CR500....or least a YZKXCR something 250 2t....sheesh.

Now ya'll so kind and gentle and giving actual helpful answers....:(

BigBird and brex like this.
  17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There it is! I was thinking someone would say KX500 but, CR500 will do. :D

What about a DR-Z400. It's a tractor, a bit heavy but you can't kill it. Might be too fat for a motocross track.

19. Damn. I was reading down hoping I’d be the first one to say it :)

brex likes this.
  20. Older 200exc. They are light, relatively bummer proof and enough power to have a bit of fun with. I ride one once and a while (well last year, haven’t had much time in a while to be out) and they have plenty of power to have fun with. Ya I know some fast woods guys will disagree but I’m not a fast woods guy.