1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bike for a beginner

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Mar 25, 2019.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Only in the last few years. WR450F got EFI in 2012, and 2014 for the WR250F.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Good thing about a WR, if you outgrow it (doubtful), it's still a keeper.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

And if you go even further back, the WR250 was a two stroke.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

And if you go even further further back, it was a Husqvarna two stroke.

scottn, motoracer1100 and Kurlon like this.
  5. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

The hardest thing to get people to understand is that a 300 2 stroke is the easiest woods bike to ride. I know too many people that were scared of a two stroke power band only to later realize that 90's and newer 2 stroke woods bikes are incredibly forgiving to ride, and very low maintenance. If you want a cheap bike, a good 250 or 300 may be harder to find at your price point. I would suggest a KDX200 or a KTM 200. Both are great bikes. KDX's are cheap and bullet proof. I bought mine, rode it for 2yrs and sold it for what I had in it. I never did a top end. I pulled it off once to unstick a power valve and it was perfect so it went back together. I know ride a 2009 Husqvarna Wr250. The frame geometry is better for faster woods riding, but in the tight stuff I though the KDX handled better. I just can't stress enough, that big bore 2 stroke woods bike are easy to ride. Its not a scary powerband! You do not want a 125 in the woods for your first bike!

Senna, pscook and Phl218 like this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. My first real "woods bike" was a GasGas 300 XC. No flywheel and was a handful but only because it stalled and I sucked. I picked up a 2011 GG300 and it was both a beast and a kitty cat, depending on how far you twisted the loud handle; however, it was a great machine that did everything that you asked of it. Walking pace (or slower) or pinned down a gravel road.

One bike not to overlook is the RMX25o (1990's 2T version, not the latest abomination). I believe that the RMX is underrepresented as first or last bikes. Everything about it is "good." I think that it's better than a KDX of any generation, but you need to be a bit taller due to seat height.

7. 90kacoupe

The RMX is a cool bike. I have only ever seen one of them around here though. I didn't even really know they existed until one popped up for sale, then I saw it at a ride a few weeks later. I bet it is a great bike. I would love to play around on a GG, I just haven't got the chance to. I rode the complete BETA lineup at a Demo day, and I was shocked how much I fell in love with the 390RR. It was definitely my favorite bike. I just wouldn't want to wrestle with it in super technical conditions.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m looking at doing the same thing, but, street-legal. There are so many more places to ride, like CO and UT, if the bike can ridden on the street.

Yamaha WR250R/XT250, Husqvarna FE250, Honda CFR250L/Rally, Suzuki DR200/DRZ400, KTM 250EXC-F, SWM RS300R, and Beta 390RR-S are all good options, depending on how much bike you want.

Senna likes this.
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

The honda 250’s and the DR200 are very disapointing at sea level. Can’t imagine how gutless they would be at altitude. I’d stay away from the baby bikes out there, but thats me.

10. 90kacoupe

The Beta 390 is on a different level then any other bike in that list. The 250f's will feel slow, and the drz400 is a pig in the technical stuff. The 390 is a proper woods machine that could be street ridden.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I was trying to cover all the brands that I’ve looked at and leave it up to the OP to decide how much bike he wants.

My buddy has an FE350 and his cousin the 390. The feedback they’ve offered is they’re similar in most things, except the Beta has a much roomier cockpit. YMMV.

12. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

125 2 smoke rev the piss out of it... a fast 250 4 can freak you out over a big gap if you're not ready

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

For a beginning rider, or experienced? Opposite of beginner bikes with tall 1st gears, light flywheel which makes them prone to stalling, and harsh suspension. Those three are all race bikes first and foremost.

WR250F, CRF250X, or KDX200/220. Maybe a KTM 250F EXC/XCW if you have cash.

Senna likes this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Hey thanks man. Appreciate the advice.

16. John Branch

John Branch 90125

No boots flip flops

Phl218 likes this.
  17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Whoa......KDX? Come get it.

2003 KDX 200, $1750- Installed KX 250 forks and shock that was rebuilt by shop/previous owner.

This is what i've done to the bike since i've owned it and has only 10 hrs on the new parts since installed:

-new top end (pro x piston) included jug
    -new FMF power core 2
    -V-force 3 reed assembly
    -gaskets throughout engine except crankcases.
    -new sedona MX880 ST tires: 80/100-21 front, 110/100-18 rear
    -new water pump seals/o-rings
    -new cooling hoses, vent lines, fuel lines
    -new 12t front sprocket (chain/rear new)
    -new uni filter - twin
    -new bearings in swingarm, dog bones, wheels, steering head/stem
    -new IMS shifter
    -new MSR levers
    -new brake pads/fluid flush
    -radiator flush
    -new UFO white number plates
    -FMF Burly pipe (used)
    -aftermarket seat/foam with high-grip seat covering

kdx2019.JPG kdx2019 1.JPG kdx2019 3.JPG kdx2019 5.JPG kdx2019 2.JPG kdx2019 7.JPG kdx2019 6.JPG kdx2019 4.JPG

Laz and pscook like this.
  18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

@Senna - Here you go. This will grow with you and not leave you stranded. Lots of web resources as well. THE trail bike that can do everything "well."

19. For 1750 that’s a good deal too.

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

sold

BigBird likes this.