1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bike for a beginner

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Effectively a race bike. Close ratio transmission with tall first gear. No kickstand so you have to lean it against something or lay it on the ground (or buy an aftermarket kickstand). Unless modified, the suspension will likely be harsh (or need attention to suit your needs). Aggressive jetting might not be good on trails. Everything I listed is adaptable, but it will take time and money to make it YOUR bike. I would still look for a WR250F (not the WR250R as that's a dual sport street bike, and the WR250X is supermoto) or CRF250X (instead of the 250R pictured), or a KDX200/220. Maybe an XR250 if one pops up for a reasonable price.

One hour on rebuild? Smells fishy (I'm a natural skeptic for rebuilds). Price isn't unreasonable, but I don't think it's what you want for a first dirt bike. If I were buying that bike, I would offer no more than $2200 and demand receipts and pictures of the bike. As an example, I just bought a 2005 WR450F with a new cylinder and street legal (all lights, mirrors, etc) for $2800. The seller showed me the old cylinder and explained why he replaced it. After I handed him the cash I found out that he's a former road racer who raced a TZ250 at the 2002 Laguna AMA/WSBK round. That puts trust in his wrenching skills.

Caveat emptor on the CRF250.

ducnut and Senna like this.
  3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Jesus, I suck at this. The market out here is basically race MX bikes, or nothing. Thanks for your help - very much appreciated.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Where is "here" for you? I know people who drive all over the country delivering bikes and they might see something up your alley.

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If you’re shopping on FB join the KTM/Husky/Berg for sale page. Lots of good stuff on there. A KTM 200 xc or xc-w would be a great starter bike.

Senna likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I'm based in the Des Moines, Iowa, area. I'm willing to drive around a 4-5 hour radius for the right bike, I just figured with all the dirt riding and OHVs around here there'd be more of a local supply.

Thanks.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

you need my 450.

or are you scared? :D

Senna likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Because we'll still going through puberty and growing, ammirite?!? :D

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

https://www.searchtempest.com/

Or use the "MILES FROM ZIP" feature in your local craigslist; you can go up to 200 miles from any zip code.

Edit: I don't know the terrain around your area, but it might be more flat or MX track style riding than gnarly woods. If the former, that would explain the dearth of "trail bikes" in your area.

ducnut and Senna like this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yea, not a ton of wooded areas out here. The OHV parks seem pretty man-made.

I have a buddy of mine trying to get me into flat tracking. Might be a better alternative than trying to trail ride in an area not great for it.

Edit: this is a pretty typical OHV for my area. Abandoned strip mine.

https://goo.gl/maps/JuRUSh5reC82

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Steve at Keytime might be able to help you. He’s the only shop I know who completely disassembles the chassis of new bikes and goes completely through them prior to delivery. Anything used is completely gone through, as well. He’s a straight-shooter.

http://www.keytimemotorsports.com/