1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dial Calipers

Discussion in 'General' started by socalrider, Jul 14, 2015.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I use my digital so rarely (but when I do it's heavy use) that I pull the battery when I'm done. I have two batteries, I just pop in the one that's easiest to reach. Been about 5 years and it still works just fine. Of course it's a cheap HF model with the battery door on front, so it's dead easy to pop the battery out.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I prefer the mechanical dial. I have my dads old Browne and Sharp.

I have a digital I use for metric stuff. The switch is broken, so I remove the battery.

Something like a Starret dial will last many lifetimes, AND stay consistent, no "slop".

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Exactly what this guy said.

I have a few Starett, Brown and Sharpe and a couple of different sized Mitutoyos. Don't use cheap shit for accurate measurements. Logging on to ebay right now....

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  6. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I have a cheaper digital caliper I got years ago, my first caliper. Not Harbor Freight but that type.
    Recently compared it to my Mitutoyo dial caliper and it was off by more than a few tenths of a millimeter. I think the electronic measuring element wears out on these. Faster on the cheaper low quality ones.

Micrometers are very accurate, yes but serve a different purpose. More for comparative use. Maybe some real machinists can chime in.

7. Venom51

Maybe...

[​IMG]

8. Venom51

I'll let you know if I spot one. I only play one in training.

9. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Me too, I am an amateur.
    My comment was directed at myself, not you.

The micrometer might not be the best choice, that was my only point.
    I don't reload so I can't speak to that. Now that I thought about it though, perhaps a micrometer would be good if the user is comparing his bullets to a known standard.

Nice picture.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or it'll make my brain twitch every time I see so I'll just fix it :D

11. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

In my opinion... These are the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-196-30-Advanced-Measuring-Resolution/dp/B00IG46NL2

I've been using one of my pairs for 10 years on a daily basis. Maybe changed 3 or 4 batteries in 10 years. Always accurate. I prefer digital over dials because I was born in the 80's and trust technology and it is easier to make mistakes with dial.

Micrometers are great if you need the accuracy but how often do you really need more than .001" accuracy?

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have this one and I rarely use it but my dad gave it to me when he retired 10 years ago. I've added few batteries through the years but they work great when you need it to.

13. Venom51

I have all 3. Mitutoyo, the General I suggested as well as some OEM branded something I can't even remember where I got it.

I checked them all against a 1 and 2 inch master and they were all spot on. The Mit's may out last them both but I don't feel bad dropping the other 2 when working around the garage. If I had to really pick them apart the OEM thing has a battery door that falls off if you look at it wrong. The General's only fault is it doesn't turn on when you move it. You have to push the on off button.

The Mits stays at my desk.

14. Venom51

That was my thought. IF you are reloading you are looking to see if the casing is within spec. The micrometer might be better for that.

15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Thanks! :D

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Everybody remember this Budweiser superbowl commercial from a few years back?

Spot the problem?

[​IMG]

17. Venom51

He's not measuring anything.

18. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I have found the HF digital calipers to be consistently dead-on when using my gauge blocks. So if you don't need more than 0.001 accuracy, they should be fine.

19. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Using the "ID" jaws to measure an "OD". ;)

20. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

The Harbor Freight ones are good for anything except very accurate machining, in which case you should be using micrometers anyway. The 6 inch ones are $9.99 with coupon and have been for years. The batteries are standard LR43s, available for 10 for about $2 on ebay.