1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dial Calipers

Discussion in 'General' started by socalrider, Jul 14, 2015.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Need to pick up a Dial Caliper. 6" probably. Home Depot has plastic ones, and harbor freight has, well, harbor freight ones.

What brand/where should I purchase a good, accurate caliper that isnt going to be used on nasa projects? budget is less than $75.

Thanks beeb

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Autozone carries one from General. Reasonable quality. Not expensive. They are no less accurate then my Mitutoyo 6" caliper.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  3. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Less than $75 I would look at ebay used Mitutoyo. Japanese brand, fantastic quality.
    New $75 ones will not be accurate, and the build quality will disappoint.

Cheap tools are always cheaply made. I would allow a slightly larger budget and get a good used one.

4. socalrider

hmm thanks. there is an autozone on my drive home.

also- please excuse my typo in the title.

5. Venom51

No a spelling Nazi will be along shortly to proclaim that you are an idito. :D

6. socalrider

ebay shows some dial mitutoyo used to be less than 75... and some new ones just under 100.

i will only use this a few times a year, will be stored safely the rest of the year. mainly for reloading purposes, checking total shell length and neck diameters.

7. What are you using them for mostly?

8. Venom51

With an accuracy of +/-.001 repeatability you are only getting so accurate with them anyway.

Absolute Digital Caliper, 0 to 6 In
    MITUTOYO

ItemAbsolute Electronic Digital Caliper
    MaterialStainless Steel
    Resolution0.0005"/0.01mm
    Range0 to 6"/0 to 150mm
    Jaw Depth1.57"
    SPC OutputNo
    Accuracy+/-0.001"
    CaseMolded Plastic
    FeaturesRolling Thumb Wheel, Control Buttons on Face, Zero, On/Off and Inch/mm, Absolute Scales

9. socalrider

:D i dont fabricate or touch engines on my bikes... but i'm coming into some reloading equipment as i downsize my parents into a smaller place. his calipers are "junk" according to him.

10. SamS

SamS Well-Known Member

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Learn how to use a vernier scale and save $ ;)

13. socalrider

Thanks for the input guys, didnt even think to check midway.

looks like i have some options to inspect before i pull the trigger.

14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Got one from blue point about 10 years ago, works well enough for what im using it for. I don't do any machining so im not too concerned with a few thousandths off.

15. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight are surprisingly good, and you don't worry about dropping them in a EDM tank. If you want a bit of toolmaker status/bling, Mahr has some very nice stuff made in Germany and usually close to the same price as Mit.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

+1 on Harbor Freight digital.

I have a manual dial caliper I paid over $120 for back in 1988. I didn't want them getting ruined at the track, so I tried the harbor freight digital one and they read the same or within .001. I always just make sure to zero out before starting.

Plus the digital is easier to read.

17. Sorry, was trying to read the Beeb and pay attention in a meeting at the same time. Used Mit and good like said above.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've got a Starrett SAE dial that I inherited from my grandfather, works great.

I have two different digital ones that I'm about ready to bin. When they work, they work great, but it's almost guaranteed when I want to use them the batteries are toast or about to fail. One is a Kobalt from Lowes, the other is a General branded unit IIRC. I think part of it is they both 'auto turn on' if they think you've moved the calipers and there's no way to disable that function on either. Are the Mitutoyos any better on that front?

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

20. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I use fowler calipers and micrometers. I honestly have no idea what I paid for mine though as it was years ago. I don't remember the standard ones being to bad but the machinist ones that go down to the .0001 range were pricy.