1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 is on now

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 17, 2018.

1. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

There was only 2 red flags, we also did not see the need to change the rear after the second red. Red flag totally screwedup out gas strategy. We ended having to stop for a splash and go with 2 laps to go. Dropping us from 33 to 36,

cajun636 and TurboBlew like this.
  2. That was my line of thinking. Obviously I’m in no place to question anyone’s decision, since I am in Africa. But I’m just thinking about the time/money/effort that goes into the event as a whole, the number of laps, etc...if I get a chance to put on a new tire, I’m doing it (unless it only has 1 lap on it).

Especially because you never know what the future will bring over the course of the race.

Using the ~1.5-22sec per lap, having those extra 9 laps could have potential shaved 14-18 seconds.

But of course it is easy to play Quarterback after the fact.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

as for the first red flag, talking with one of the officials after the race weekend was over, there are radio problems at the speedway that are very weird. Race control lost all contact with cornerworkers. Track staff turned off some gear and the white noise went away. Those big metal clad glass buildings are the issue (is what he told me).

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

If nothing else, you guys easily have one of the coolest leather suit artwork ever :) The few times i saw it during practice and sprints, i had a hard time not looking at it for a sec.

mike574 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More likely someone plugged in a headset or speaker mic with the radio on - happens all the time. It automatically puts most radios into vox mode and if the worker is in a loud area they're then keyed up all the time. Which if course means they can't hear control yelling that they're keyed and no one else can get through anywhere nearby. Sucks for all involved but good call to stop and sort it out. BTDT.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My 1.5-2 sec per lap estimate was for a tire that had 25+ laps on it, vs. a new tire. I don't think I would have gone a tic faster on a new tire vs. a 9 lap tire.

The other thing is, these tires are pretty specific to Daytona. So it's not like I can buy a tire and use it next race weekend if it doesn't get used in the 200. YMMV!

7. True, but I was thinking more about the other end (the end of the tire's lifespan).

When the other tire was at 25+ laps, that new tire would only be at 16 laps. So if at some point you were losing 1.5-2sec per lap, that new tire would have delayed that increased lap time by 9 laps...hence the 14-18sec calculation.

Of course, this is all speculative and it isn't my place to second guess what you or anyone did. You were there racing, I was stuck in Africa. Im just discussing it to pass the time. :)

Gino230 likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Was this an OEM filter?

I'm curious, because at CVMA they have banned aftermarket oil filters, after some issues.

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

You have a good point, @Chaotic , and all of these unknowns can factor into the race strategy BIG TIME. In 2015 we had multiple red flags. I don't think we ever changed a tire under green. I was pissed because I had trained my ass off, and invested alot in quick change gear, and all of that advantage went out the window because we got so many breaks, and even the guys with the red glug glug lawnmower cans had no disadvantage!

In years past, the rule book stated each competitor MUST stop at least once under green flag conditions. For some reason that was removed from the rules this year. So theoretically, you could have a race play out where you didn't have to stop under green. I bet less than half of the competitors actually know that.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

sounds like team challenge.

11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Vortex.

Our racer had a bunch of them that he had bought with Vortex contingency a few years ago when he was racing full time and won the #2 plate and never had an issue with them before. All purchased at the same time. He changed the oil the morning of the race while I was busy taking care of other things and he's what I would consider a very competent racer mechanic. It wasn't over-tightened and he even checked with me on oil height and making sure it was good to go before he buttoned it up.

When he pulled in during the race and we saw it was coming from the filter area, I checked to make sure the filter was still tight; it was, and the safety wire was still secure. Nothing stupid like two o rings or anything like that.

Got it back to the garage and saw that it was pushing oil from around the nut. And a lot. We're very fortunate he noticed it when he did and didn't fall down.

I was well aware of the K&N failures and the subsequent recall and we only use the Hiflofiltro filters in the shop. I had no experience with the Vortex filters other than him using them before with no issue. Until now. Lesson learned.

Boman Forklift and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Did he tighten it via the nut?

13. metricdevilmoto

No. I have absolutely no doubt it was a part failure.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Vortex was doing fine when they sold stuff they actually made instead of re-badged stuff from lord knows where. I saw the video of that filter spewing oil. Inexcusable. They should pull every one of those things from the market and if they don't shame on them.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

If only you knew of and or could recommend a company that could help walk Vortex through the recall process...:D

16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

:crackup:

17. metricdevilmoto

The video that was circulating on social media was Barrett Long's filter, I believe. Not ours. His was, I think, a K&N, but don't hold me to that.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was.

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Damn.....I thought K&N Had their issue fixed.I almost bought one the other day for the FZR.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You mean Ducati?

[​IMG]

Banditracer likes this.