1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 is on now

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 17, 2018.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Holy Broome level post. :D

The DQ sucks, but you will get after it next year it sounds like. :bow:

cajun636 likes this.
  2. Sounds like you had and eventful time but fun. Hats off for taking responsibility for your infraction vs making excuses as well. It’s a dumb rule but as mongo said it’s enforced consistently so no excuses there and you didn’t give any. Good try with tech though :)

cajun636 likes this.
  3. LRoy

LRoy Member

I don’t know if this was the red flag cause but they were having communications issues right as the race began. The usual someone’s mic stuck continuously transmitting, control yelling for everyone to check their radios, sorta deal.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, qualifying, is there actually a cut off or is that reserved for capping the grid at X number of bikes if they get flooded with entries?

5. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

115% of fastest lap. not sure if it is per session or overall Qualifying.
    tim

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That would definitely do it.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Rules say 115% of top qualifier. But looks like ASRA left it open to change at ANY time. And they had 2 waves.

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's 115% of the pole position, set in any qualifying session (there were 3), or timed practice. In my case, I only got 4 timed laps in before my engine quit, a 2:08 in the warm up session with the previously mentioned wet track. When Debise did his 1:48 in Q3 that knocked me out. I went to the referee and asked about a provisional start. They said if I could turn some laps under the cutoff in the morning practice or any of the morning CCS races, they would allow me in. It's a judgement call by the organization, as long as there are fewer than 80 riders. Based on my last 3 years results and my Saturday morning practice times I was allowed a provisional start.

@cajun636 I didn't realize you were doing all of that work yourself, I thought all of those guys were working for you. That's an accomplishment in and of itself!

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

FWIW, it was never my intention to run the whole race on one rear. I never would have let this happen in 2015 when I was obsessing about every detail with my team. I was a little more hands off the last two years, because I don't know the R6 that well and my new crew is a veteran of several 200's. When the red flags started changing the pit windows, I should have come to an understanding with the crew right then- either do the tire or don't, but we didn't talk about it and that's on me. Hell, I just asked them "when do you want me to come in?" and that is something as a rider I should have taken more control over.

@MELK-MAN has a point, if you are slow enough any tire will work. But that lap time is a moving target, and the tires keep getting better every year. I have run the sprint race tire and chunked it, so there is no magic pace that will guarantee that a sprint tire will last. This year was the best Dunlop yet (IMO). The carcass is thinner on the left side, but several compound choices are available, including soft ones, which considering the unique demands Daytona puts on a tire is pretty incredible.

I think that realistically, not putting on a fresh rear was costing me 1.5-2 sec per lap. A better rider that is more comfortable sliding and spinning still could have done :57's even on the worn out rear. So not changing the rear, cost us lap time wise, but saved us 30 sec in the pits, assuming nothing goes wrong during the change. Then again, you are also taking a risk putting 50+ laps on the tire, so it's a chance either way.

The tire looked beautiful at the end, too. I was amazed.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Why not throw a fresh rear on during the red flag, though?

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah I have to say it looked good. And it's crazy because you can go from one lap with a draft and it can pick up a second or two even when drafting a slower rider to, dropping some because of a crap drive out the chicane and no draft. No place like it. And yeah the Dunlops were very good this year I have to agree. The first tire I went out on was last year's tire. Night and day difference.

I didn't do it all myself but yeah that was Max's team. Great support and a great bunch of guys. Like I said they kept asking me if I needed help but I didn't want to burden them. The only reason I mention it was that without their help I couldn't have done it at all. But what is surprising is ALLLLLLLL of the shit you have to move when you are doing it by yourself. Even a small op like mine. And as crap luck would have it, with so much to do, for the first time ever, we left a rear warmer on and burnt it up. Crazy to think that of the 12 years I have been riding on the track this was the very first one.

BigBird and Gino230 like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can work on the bikes during a red?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wasn't that how DiSalvo got to win on a Ducati V4?

418 likes this.
  14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

This is what I thought, that you couldn't so we didn't. But as I rolled out I saw several bikes on new tires and was like WTF. I just assumed and would have to go back and read those rules. Possibly different than a straight endurance race were you only can when it is a green flag.

15. metricdevilmoto

Yes. Only restrictions are no other hands on the bike while fueling no matter what flag is out. Changed the way we handled pit stops and timing a bit, but that's about it.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but that was DMG running things.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow, increases the luck factor a bunch.

18. metricdevilmoto

Slightly different circumstances, but yes. That was during the mandatory stoppage when Dunlop had all the chunking issues. I'm pretty sure we were allowed to put hands on the bikes during a red flag neck when it was an AMA gig.

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Official Regulation.

(5.) There is no restriction regarding repairs or other service

performed on the pit road or grid to entered motorcycles during

any red flag delay, except as outlined by the Race Director or

any supplemental regulations for a particular event.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I dont think the bike was on the "track" side pit during that red flag. I remember a bunch of folks grumbling.
    I was just spectating near the horseshoe for that race and people were mad the announcers said NOTHING about the stoppage