1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 is on now

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 17, 2018.

1. All of the publicity is why I can't see anyone knowingly running an illegal air filter. I might could see a person borrowing/buying a bike at the last minute, not knowing exactly what is in it, and rushing to the track. But 6 different people intentionally running an illegal air filter, after all the drama and DQ's last year, and knowing they will be heavily scrutinized? That just doesn't add up to me.

2. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

Dustin shared garage and pits with us. The 675 developed an issue and he had brought his unprepared R6 as backup. At the end of the race he told tech that his air filter was not legal and went home satisfied to have FINISHED the 200! Max crashed after the first restart and we lost laps while he got the bike to the pit and we got him back out in time for Valentin’s red flag. Max took a beating to his back from the tire wall but he soldiered on to the finish. Try again next year. CONGRATULATIONS to all the finishers!! Woohoo!! Danny E 4 time Daytona 200 Champion!!!
    Tim

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Was that Max that crashed in the Horseshoe? I wondered how he got behind on that restart.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

@Gino230 ... you guys are a hell of alot prettier than Limitless Racings 484 crew! :D

Gino230 likes this.
  5. Gino230

Not everyone is as type A as you and I. Not everyone shows up to all the riders meetings. Often they send crew members who may or may not interpret everything correctly. Every year people are DQ'd or penalized for stuff that is gone over AD NAUSEAM in the FOUR (4) rider's meetings. Using the wrong fuel, working on the bike while fueling, etc.

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.
  6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Gino, congrats on finishing. The 200 is the toughest road race we have and it's an accomplishment you should be proud of.

Banditracer, cBJr, MELK-MAN and 5 others like this.
  7. Gino230

Wish I would have known you guys were there....would have loved to meet a fellow BBS addict in person.

Thank you. It's also a race which plays to my strengths, endurance, consistency, preparation, etc. (vs. outright speed)

I really have to hand it to Dunlop, they stepped it up this year! That 180 slick is a damn good tire, and they had 3 choices for fronts and rears. The fact that that dual compound 180 rear went the whole race is amazing, even considering my less than lap record pace. ;)

418 and TurboBlew like this.
  8. I was going to ask if anyone used the same set of tires (front and rear) for the whole race. Ive seen several people talk about only using 1 front, which isn't a big deal. All of the front tires from the "big 4" are awesome and wear like iron. But I was curious about the rear.

9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

@Gino230 congrats on finishing. Great effort.

Gino230 likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Gino230 and TurboBlew like this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Gino, I really enjoyed reading your write up. Congratulations on the finish, do you like the R6 better than a Ducati now?

Congratulations to Dustin too.

Gino230 and TurboBlew like this.
  12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Only 2 of the "big 4" even bothered to show up.

13. Yeah, I was speaking more in general...not necessarily for Daytona. That's a different animal.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

my take having raced there since 2003.
    If you do 2:00 lap times or more.. you can run regular tires. Any tire ya want. In fact, did 1:55 chasing Robertino Pietri on a lightweight ducati (he was on a Bimota, same motor) in GT lights.. 11 laps, on the softest sprint tire Michelin made. Tire was perfect. But, even with 80 ft lb of torque, the top speed of the hybrid Ducati i was on, was significantly less than even a stock R6.. And Tino was on a sprint race tire as well..

It's when you get BELOW that 1:55 range on a 600, or around there on a 1000, that you need to be on a daytona specific tire.
    Since 2003, i have always ran a Michelin sprint race tire (capable of 24 laps at your typical track) till March of last year. Problems with everyones tires got worse after the banking repave (more grip, and more of it consistently).. Usually have trouble after about 4 laps in.. BUT, same tire, slower riders, they never EVER had an issue.

If Michelin wanted to make a Daytona specific tire, it would be very very good. I'm sure Bridgestone could as well.
    In the meantime.. i'm "sticking" with my "Mirelli" compound. :) :)

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

As Gino eluded to, if you got DQ'd for the air filter this year, it was totally the riders fault. Anyone, at any time, could take their filter to tech and tell them the year r6 it was for, and have it checked.

mike574 likes this.
  16. Does JU still have that school/camp thing at Daytona?

Does anyone else do track days at Daytona?

Ive been thinking about doing it. I have the fitness/endurance for it, and love the team aspect with pit stops and stuff. But I don't want to show up to do the D200 having never seen the track before.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

It is definitely an accomplishment to be proud of.

18. MELK-MAN

Nobody does track days at DIS except Team Hammer, they are there every October for the Race of Champions. Do it.. tons of fun.
    Do Team Hammer, enter some sprint races, AND the Team Challenge, to get some endurance racing experience at the facility.

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Hammer has a track day before the October ROC round. Other than that, the only way to get on that track on a motorcycle is to enter a race.

Gorilla George and cajun636 like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So I'm curious now you guys who were there are home - what was the technical issue causing the first red flag?