1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dash cams, who's got them and what is best

Discussion in 'General' started by colin96, Oct 22, 2016.

1. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Yep. Hard to believe but it is the case. If they sold it super cheap there isn't money in it. Adding features sells more and they can charge more for it. All that being said, the security/feeling of security that you get from a unit that's under 200 will also pay for itself the first time that it's needed.

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I told you way earlier in this thread I’ve had the cheapo Hyperion from Walmart in our excursion for 2 years. Shoots amazing video right to my phone. I don’t know if it does all you want but it’s a 15 minute loop and stays wired into a cigarette lighter that only turns on when the truck is on and been baking in the Florida sun for 2 years.

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I remember. But one of my primary needs is constant on and preferably battery operated, hence why I kept comparing to my home security units. One of my biggest concerns is actually my vehicles at night. We own a townhome and my car is always parked in the side lot with a bunch of others. We've had people come through at night getting into unlocked vehicles. And my concern is that escalating to actual break ins eventually. Plus I suspect I'm about to royally piss off this crazy old man when he realizes he's not going to get his way. And I'd guess he's not above retaliation, such as damaging our vehicles. Dude's off his fucking rocker. So the constant on is a primary concern, wireless is a preference I suppose.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those cameras are not running a 24/7 loop on batteries for two years. Running when they detect motion is entirely different and I'd bet even that the battery life is "up to" 2 years, as in 2 years of not used much...

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Your home security isn't on 24/7 on batteries for two years. My sensors on mine will last that long sure but they're not doing anything without an input from either the system or the magnet moving. My cameras that record when they detect motion have to be plugged in.

I've got a rexing V1 Pro that does front and back cameras, records on loop, does have built in GPS, does require wiring - preferably hardwired to a constant power source to do what you need - but doesn't have a motion detector, has a shock detector instead. It's $200 and works great. You're not going to find exactly what you want in a vehicle camera so honestly if I were you I'd buy and mount a couple of trail cameras.

6. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Black view 2 channel.

7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You need to do what my buddy did. He bought a used go pro 4 for like $100 a year ago and mounted it by his visor and hard wired it to his battery through a converter and it records 24/7. I think he said it loops every 12 hours or so. That’s about as long as the SIM card will take on lower quality settings I think.